Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Cornell @ 105K
58%
Texas @ 70K
42%

Total votes: 95

T6Hopeful

Silver

Re: Cornell @ 105K COA vs. UT Austin @ 70K COA???

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:35 pm

KMaine wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
kwais wrote: I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.
I'm also here to hate on hipsters. As for your decision, from what I've heard Cornell isn't too great for placing outside the Northeast, while Texas does very well in the South. I wouldn't go so far as to call Cornell regional, but moreso than the rest of the T14. I would say Texas, since colder weather sucks.
Interesting. So it is o.k. that Texas is regional, but not o.k. that Cornell is not exactly regional (even though it seems much more portable than Texas)? Also, you really think Cornell is significantly (or at all) more regional than Georgetown, Penn, Berkley, etc? Do you really think it is any easier to get a job in California coming from Duke? Virginia? I know a number of people who are going to the West Coast from Cornell.

OP, for your criteria, I am not really sure. Cornell should offer you more options, and if they give you a little financial aid. cost will be close. Texas seems to be (very slightly) more the environment and, to a greater degree, more the weather you want. You say you want to do Midlaw. If you don't mind doing that in Texas, it is probably a decent option.
Well I think it's ok that Texas is regional because their "region" is the South, which is a huge backyard to have. With Cornell on the other hand, you don't have as strong of a "backyard" (speaking of their actual distance from the city and how they're not even one of the top two on the turf).

No need to be in attacking mode, I admitted up front that this is just what I've pieced together, not some be all end all of choosing one of these schools. I just don't agree with the assumption that the lower T14 trumps anything outside of it. That's all.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Everyone seems to be saying that since OP has no geographic preferences, he should choose Cornell. It seems to me that if he has no geographic preferences, he should choose the cheaper option in Texas. Plus he doesn't want to deal with shit weather like that which is commonly found in Ithaca.

I said Texas. I think the difference between the two isn't worth the extra 40 grand plus interest in loans. Imagine what you could do with that extra money.

But that's just me.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 pm

I voted Texas mainly based on QOL and saving 35k, but Cornell definitely has it's merits.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
KMaine wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
kwais wrote: I'm just here to jump on the hipster-hating bandwagon. good luck with your decision. I vote Cornell.
I'm also here to hate on hipsters. As for your decision, from what I've heard Cornell isn't too great for placing outside the Northeast, while Texas does very well in the South. I wouldn't go so far as to call Cornell regional, but moreso than the rest of the T14. I would say Texas, since colder weather sucks.
Interesting. So it is o.k. that Texas is regional, but not o.k. that Cornell is not exactly regional (even though it seems much more portable than Texas)? Also, you really think Cornell is significantly (or at all) more regional than Georgetown, Penn, Berkley, etc? Do you really think it is any easier to get a job in California coming from Duke? Virginia? I know a number of people who are going to the West Coast from Cornell.

OP, for your criteria, I am not really sure. Cornell should offer you more options, and if they give you a little financial aid. cost will be close. Texas seems to be (very slightly) more the environment and, to a greater degree, more the weather you want. You say you want to do Midlaw. If you don't mind doing that in Texas, it is probably a decent option.
Well I think it's ok that Texas is regional because their "region" is the South, which is a huge backyard to have. With Cornell on the other hand, you don't have as strong of a "backyard" (speaking of their actual distance from the city and how they're not even one of the top two on the turf).

No need to be in attacking mode, I admitted up front that this is just what I've pieced together, not some be all end all of choosing one of these schools. I just don't agree with the assumption that the lower T14 trumps anything outside of it. That's all.
Didn't think I was attacking. I just don't agree. If the backyard is the South, Texas is trumped by Duke, Vandy, and possibly anybody in the t6 that wants a job there. If backyard is TX, they are the best, but that is TX. I don't think that lower t-14 is always the best way to go, but I do a think every school int the t-14 is more portable than TX, and I do not agree that Cornell is the least portable t-14. I think our advice tothe OP is the same.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Thank you for all the replies, got some good feedback for both schools. I'm going to UT's ASW and i hope to visit Cornell also, and I hope it's not too immature but i expect these visits and my impressions of projected quality of life will be a big factor in my decision. Any more votes out there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 pm

A big part of it is where you would be happy. You have 2 good choices. Good luck.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 pm

I voted for Cornell because you really hate hipsters.

jhw123

New

Post by jhw123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 am

spacepenguin wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:Based on your interests I voted for UT. You'll probably have more fun at UT and while the career prospects aren't as good; they're still great. As a former undergrad there though, you might find the hipster/frat culture unbearable...and to a large extent the city is dominated by these two. I'm actually facing a similar decision, though I'm leaning towards Cornell.
HIPSTERS. Fuck I HATE hipsters. I hope that you lumped hipsters with frat culture because in Texas hipster means something different. I'm living in L.A. where hipsters are people who look and act homeless because it's ironic. Please tell me it's a different sort of hipster. Please please please!!!

Pretty much the exact same thing. Except in Austin, it's not just the students. It's 35 year old men who for whatever reason never grew up. Portland, Seattle, and Austin are known to be the hipster capitals of America.
The hipsters of NY/LA are more aggressively hip than those of Austin. Austin's no Silver Lake, I promise. I can't recall seeing any hipster bars, for example, and people seem really nice. I vote UT!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am

If you don't mind Texas, I say UT all the way

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 am

Why is Cornell so cheap for you. You don't seem like you would get $$ with those numbers. Are you a URM? GI bill? Saved up 100k?

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:52 am

Everything said in here are credited. My only addition is a Cornell degree does carry some prestige (short- and long-term).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”