H/Y/S vs. NYU w/scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ChriLa425

Bronze

H/Y/S vs. NYU w/scholly

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am

Hey guys,

Completely theoretical post at this point, seeing as I´ve not heard back from H/Y/S and won´t hear back for the B&B scholly till April, but if you were offered a full scholarship at NYU versus admission at H/Y/S which would you choose?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: H/Y/S vs. NYU w/scholly

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:50 am

worry about it when it happens

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 am

not worried just curious :D

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 am

HYS all day

charliebrownwn

New

Post by charliebrownwn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am

i would take Y or S, but only if it didnt conflict with my astronaut training and if natalie portman said it was OK if we waited a couple more years before we bought the yacht and sailed around the world together.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:32 am

charliebrownwn wrote:i would take Y or S, but only if it didnt conflict with my astronaut training and if natalie portman said it was OK if we waited a couple more years before we bought the yacht and sailed around the world together.
Lulz. Why is OP asking this with a 3.7/174?

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 am

I'm actually deciding between H/Y (still waiting on Stanford) and NYU -- potentially with a scholarship as I was selected as a finalist for one of their full scholarship programs (we'll see). Any advice?

NYU was always my top choice until I made it into H/Y. I still gravitate towards NYC (particularly over New Haven).

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:i would take Y or S, but only if it didnt conflict with my astronaut training and if natalie portman said it was OK if we waited a couple more years before we bought the yacht and sailed around the world together.
oh good point, I also forgot to include the Natalie effect. Is she yours exclusively or would you be willing to share on weekends?

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 pm

christinalsat wrote:I'm actually deciding between H/Y (still waiting on Stanford) and NYU -- potentially with a scholarship as I was selected as a finalist for one of their full scholarship programs (we'll see). Any advice?

NYU was always my top choice until I made it into H/Y. I still gravitate towards NYC (particularly over New Haven).
ooh congrats on all your great options! My question is theoretical but yours isn´t, well done!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

westbayguy

Bronze

Post by westbayguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm

There is much discussion on this issue- poke around TLS and you should find it.

For a recent discussion see Asha's discussion at

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx

Are you up for a Furman or RTK? Doyou want to be an academic or do PI? How important is the scholly to you?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:36 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
christinalsat wrote:I'm actually deciding between H/Y (still waiting on Stanford) and NYU -- potentially with a scholarship as I was selected as a finalist for one of their full scholarship programs (we'll see). Any advice?

ooh congrats on all your great options! My question is theoretical but yours isn´t, well done!
Okay, I had to look it up, since I only know about RTK. Is it Bickel & Brewer? Personally, I would go with that. In addition to the scholarship, it seems that you get additional training and mentoring. And they only require you to do two years of public-interest work after graduating (and give you a fellowship if you cannot find something!).

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 pm

FWIW, one of the people I've been talking to about this school selection process took Stanford with minimal money over a full ride plus stipend at NYU. He's a fifth year at Skadden now, so I guess he started school in 2002? He's also black and killed it in engineering in undergrad, so take it with the grain of salt that entails.

He said he probably should have gone with NYU. Based on his thinking, whatever marginal benefit he might have gotten with Stanford on his resume was offset by the large amount of money he left on the table. Surprisingly he said that he'd feel even more strongly about that if he were applying this year. They interview students at both Stanford and NYU, and take people from both places. Saying "no thanks" to over a hundred thousand dollars for some nebulous benefit during the interview process doesn't hold water in his book, at least if you're going for work at a firm like his. He did say that clerkships could be a different story, however.

jonfen

New

Post by jonfen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Last edited by jonfen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm

sarahh wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:

Okay, I had to look it up, since I only know about RTK. Is it Bickel & Brewer? Personally, I would go with that. In addition to the scholarship, it seems that you get additional training and mentoring. And they only require you to do two years of public-interest work after graduating (and give you a fellowship if you cannot find something!).
Yeah its Bickel and Brewer, and they do give you hands-on experience in that program unlike in some of the other scholarships. There´s such a split in opinion over the tangible effect of $$ versus the intangible benefit of H/Y/S

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:44 pm

jonfen wrote:Hi guys,

Do you know if Harvard ever increases their grant offer if you try to negotiate with them? I received $90,000 from Chicago and Duke and am considering filling out NYU's scholarship application if Harvard considers these kinds of situations.

FYI, I will probably qualify for the highest amount of grant aid (which I read is a measly $13,000/year?) and definitely need all the aid I can get.

Thank you!
Which NYU app are you talking about? I was under the impression the named scholarships are in the finalist stage now. Did you receive a Dean's invite? ('cause to my knowledge, no one else on TLS has yet).

As to your question, I'm not sure, but Harvard's official position is that their formula is based entirely on need.

jonfen

New

Post by jonfen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Haha, no nothing special like that. I just got an email from the NYU FinAid dept talking about filling out some sort of application. I had only skimmed it before, but on second reading, it's just the Need Access Form that I would need to fill out for NYU.

Thanks for the response.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”