2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rman1201

Silver

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Nice. I am curious to see the "new calculation of employment rates". Everything else just looks like fluff with no actual demand/consequence - about as useless as anything the UN does.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:45 pm

rman1201 wrote:
Nice. I am curious to see the "new calculation of employment rates". Everything else just looks like fluff with no actual demand/consequence - about as useless as anything the UN does.
This 'change' makes me think that these ranking will shake more up than we expected (and more than they did in the previous years). Finally, an incentive to care.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:50 pm

rman1201 wrote:
I propose new ranking system, in which the Deans of all T100 law schools with compete in a tournament of fights to the death.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Marionberry wrote: I propose new ranking system, in which the Deans of all T100 law schools with compete in a tournament of fights to the death.
you've got my vote

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:54 pm

girlonfire wrote:
Marionberry wrote: I propose new ranking system, in which the Deans of all T100 law schools with compete in a tournament of fights to the death.
you've got my vote
Yale still comes out on top.

http://www.law.yale.edu/faculty/ARangappa.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Justathought wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
you've got my vote

She's supposed to be pretty fierce, but for the purposes of the ranking system we have to have the school's main dean's fight, not the admissions deans. If we allow that, schools will bring in ringers.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Justathought wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
you've got my vote

She's supposed to be pretty fierce, but for the purposes of the ranking system we have to have the school's main dean's fight, not the admissions deans. If we allow that, schools will bring in ringers.
Yale would still come out on top, their dean is a certified bad ass.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

rman1201 wrote:Yale would still come out on top, their dean is a certified bad ass.

I googled different law school deans, trying to find one that looked really badass and tough. I was unsuccessful.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:09 pm

This is great news.

Edit: Though I bet the employment data is still not given the weight it deserves.
Last edited by Justathought on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

do you think they implemented it in this year's rankings??

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:11 pm

northwood wrote:do you think they implemented it in this year's rankings??
Says they did.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Wow ! Thank you for posting this link.

P.S. Anybody willing to post a "street slang" translation of the USNews letter to law school deans ?

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Justathought wrote:
This is great news.

Edit: Though I bet the employment data is still not given the weight it deserves.
How do you weight clerkships, prestigious PI, etc. in comparison with BigLaw placement?

I'm glad I'm not in charge of USNWR methodology.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cjw2222

New

Post by cjw2222 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 pm

The only thing I see resulting from this letter is a greater incentive for law schools to tweak the salaries of graduates. It is already a well documented problem just how farfetched the median salaries are and placing more weight on salaries for the rankings will only agitate this problem. If USNWR wishes to use salary as another barometer, the ABA or NALP needs to step in and mandate the auditing of salary information just like MBA programs do (why this is not the case currently baffles me). In addition, many law schools do not count those not in the legal field in their salary information yet include them for their employment percentage. They should include either all reported salaries or only those gainfully employed but they should not be afforded the luxury to pick and chose, especially with the emphasis law schools place on full disclosure. Coming from an accounting/finance background, this form of book keeping is worthy of a public uprising. And research will show more than a handful of schools that claim 25% or more of graduates could be contacted for information. This tells me either they were too embarrassed/outraged at their current employment status or they made so little money that the school "lost" their salary report and chalked up another no contact.

Even if a school decided to report wholly and truthfully they couldn't out of sheer terror of what that would do to their rankings and application numbers. Nothing will be done to improve this glaring flaw until strict mandates are constructed governing the exact process of salary documentation.

Whew stepping off soap box now...

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
The only thing I see resulting from this letter is a greater incentive for law schools to tweak the salaries of graduates. It is already a well documented problem just how farfetched the median salaries are and placing more weight on salaries for the rankings will only agitate this problem. If USNWR wishes to use salary as another barometer, the ABA or NALP needs to step in and mandate the auditing of salary information just like MBA programs do (why this is not the case currently baffles me). In addition, many law schools do not count those not in the legal field in their salary information yet include them for their employment percentage. They should include either all reported salaries or only those gainfully employed but they should not be afforded the luxury to pick and chose, especially with the emphasis law schools place on full disclosure. Coming from an accounting/finance background, this form of book keeping is worthy of a public uprising. And research will show more than a handful of schools that claim 25% or more of graduates could be contacted for information. This tells me either they were too embarrassed/outraged at their current employment status or they made so little money that the school "lost" their salary report and chalked up another no contact.

Even if a school decided to report wholly and truthfully they couldn't out of sheer terror of what that would do to their rankings and application numbers. Nothing will be done to improve this glaring flaw until strict mandates are constructed governing the exact process of salary documentation.

Tl;dr

AlphaIncipiens

New

Post by AlphaIncipiens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm

rman1201 wrote:
cjw2222 wrote:

Tl;dr
+1

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Dean of ___________________ (insert SEC school here)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 pm

So is this going to be the official thread for when the rankings come out or should we make a new one? OP doesn't seem very active...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 pm

rman1201 wrote:So is this going to be the official thread for when the rankings come out or should we make a new one? OP doesn't seem very active...
depends how shocking the ranking will be. a new thread might be warranted if its future title implies sudden and unexpected PWNAGE by an underdog or a shocking toppling of a ranking leader.
:lol:

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 pm

99.9luft wrote:
rman1201 wrote:So is this going to be the official thread for when the rankings come out or should we make a new one? OP doesn't seem very active...
depends how shocking the ranking will be. a new thread might be warranted if its future title implies sudden and unexpected PWNAGE by an underdog or a shocking toppling of a ranking leader.
:lol:
I'm a Premium Us News subscriber, so I call first dibs on the thread. I want my TLS identity to be forever associated with the rankings that changed everything.

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:42 pm

no worries, the moderators will hack it if need be

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Justathought wrote:
northwood wrote:do you think they implemented it in this year's rankings??
Says they did.

It said that the letter was sent a week ago which would be 3/2. I don't see how the schools would compile the needed information quick enough, then the USNWR writers factor it into the rankings, and finally publish it all by 3/15.

Also, what exactly do business schools do to make their salary figures so accurate?

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm

stratocophic wrote:
beachbum wrote:
mavsman88 wrote:Shouldn't they be leaked by now?
One would think.
They're being released online first. USNWR got smart and there will be no print articles for NYers to snag a few days early as there were in the past.

why/how did NY get the articles first? I mean, they are a couple hours ahead of the west coast but days??

Eagles_Legendz

New

Post by Eagles_Legendz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 pm

I have a question regarding salaries being reported/employment levels:

1) Does the percentage of graduates who report salaries factor into the rankings? That seems far more useful to me than the overall median reported.

2) Does CoL get weighted at all? Obviously you have a better chance at BigLaw going to GW or a school along those lines than Alabama etc, but 75k gets you significantly farther in Alabama or Tennessee than it does in DC and NYC. I'm just curious if that's factored in the rankings?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 pm

nshapkar wrote:Also, what exactly do business schools do to make their salary figures so accurate?
Go to most top business schools and you can get a list of where each graduating student is employed and then salary statistics are aggregated into industries for publication. Most of the data are published with a full range of salaries for industries (sufficiently high level to avoid individual idenitification) and then an average or median is reported.

I believe the data are self reported, however they are usually audited to avoid the school itself manipulating the result (rather than whatever incentive an individual might have to misrepresent their employment or income information).

For example Kellogg's report is here:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... Final.ashx

Interestingly it contains the name and employer of JD/MBAs as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”