I'm not a partier at all, can I survive at FSU? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gingerkitty

New

I'm not a partier at all, can I survive at FSU?

Post by gingerkitty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 am

Here's my stats:

173 LSAT, 3.8 GPA, Non-Trad (I'm 31 and got my BA in 2002). I want to practice in Florida/Tampa Bay after graduation working in public interest law or government. I am not a big law person. I'm a quiet and bookish type. I don't drink. Don't use drugs. I have a family history of alcoholism and so I avoid that whole thing.

I've been offered a full scholarship for FSU. I go look at the campus next week. I'm just worried about the party school reputation. Everyone I know who went there for undergrad loved the number of parties and the football atmosphere. That doesn't interest me at all. But FSU is the only school I applied to offering me a full ride. William and Mary (which is more my type of atmosphere) is only offering 15k a year. I'm on whatever that Priority Decision Waitlist thing is at Duke. Still waiting to hear from UVa but I'm not hopeful.

So, is it possible to function at FSU as a nerd/bookish type? Or does the law school have a tamer atmosphere.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Re: I'm not a partier at all, can I survive at FSU?

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 am

not to ignore your originaly question, but i believe that you would be able to get a full ride from some much better schools, increasing your opportunities tremendously. I would go to a school with a more academically nurturing environment. maybe emory?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 am

gingerkitty wrote:Here's my stats:

173 LSAT, 3.8 GPA, Non-Trad (I'm 31 and got my BA in 2002). I want to practice in Florida/Tampa Bay after graduation working in public interest law or government. I am not a big law person. I'm a quiet and bookish type. I don't drink. Don't use drugs. I have a family history of alcoholism and so I avoid that whole thing.

I've been offered a full scholarship for FSU. I go look at the campus next week. I'm just worried about the party school reputation. Everyone I know who went there for undergrad loved the number of parties and the football atmosphere. That doesn't interest me at all. But FSU is the only school I applied to offering me a full ride. William and Mary (which is more my type of atmosphere) is only offering 15k a year. I'm on whatever that Priority Decision Waitlist thing is at Duke. Still waiting to hear from UVa but I'm not hopeful.

So, is it possible to function at FSU as a nerd/bookish type? Or does the law school have a tamer atmosphere.
Aim higher.

Did you apply late to Duke?

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 am

Aside from the fact that you could get into better schools, yes you can go to FSU if you aren't a partier. There are BEAUTIFUL areas to live in and there is a huge population of older gov't workers etc. in addition to students. There is a lot to do in Tally that is not just partying, etc.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

rman1201 wrote:
gingerkitty wrote:Here's my stats:

Aim higher.
quote]

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 am

1) Go to a better school on schooly
2) You're 31 and you don't know if you can handle a school cause it has a lot of parties? :roll:

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am

thecilent wrote:1) Go to a better school on schooly
2) You're 31 and you don't know if you can handle a school cause it has a lot of parties? :roll:

gingerkitty

New

Post by gingerkitty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 am

Emory is out. I couldn't live in Atlanta. Lived there for a year and hated the city. I know it sounds stupid, by quality of life is very important to me. I have a history of depression and need to be some place where I thrive. Harvard and Yale were out because of that. I just know that I'd be miserable with the weather. I know my limits. As much as I'd like to think I'd be able to go to Yale and kick ass even with the snow, the truth is I'd fall apart.

Even though I have good stats on paper I also have some negatives. I had a nervous breakdown my freshman year of college and had to leave school for a year. It isn't something I hid and I actually talk about it in my personal statement because I'm proud of being able to come back from that to graduate from college with a 3.8. I've learned how to live with my illness. A large part of it is being honest with myself about my own limitations. It is also why I want to be a lawyer. I want to help people who typically are marginalized by society, like the mentally ill.

Anyway, I suspect that some schools (Duke, for example) might not have had the same view of my life story. Instead of seeing it as someone overcoming an obstacle they may have seen "crazy girl" and passed. A lot of the schools that would take me on the basis of my numbers probably passed because of my history. It's probably better that they pass early on than to have hidden it and got accepted and feel I have to hide it.

gingerkitty

New

Post by gingerkitty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
It's more like, I'm 31 and know I don't want to live in a frat house and wanted to know if there were places in Tally where one could escape that atmosphere.

Sadly, no better schools are offering me money. I know, it's shocking.

Actually, UF also offered me a full ride. But when I looked at that school it was just as bad in terms of atmosphere. It also had the negative of having a much larger student population.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Visit the schools, explore the cities, and talk to current students to see if you fit in. The law students tend to at least be more mature/focused than the undergrad populations of the schools. A free ride at UF is hard to turn down, but I understand the predicament as someone with a similar mindset who spent the last 4 years in Gainesville.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 pm

gingerkitty wrote:Emory is out. I couldn't live in Atlanta. Lived there for a year and hated the city. I know it sounds stupid, by quality of life is very important to me. I have a history of depression and need to be some place where I thrive. Harvard and Yale were out because of that. I just know that I'd be miserable with the weather. I know my limits. As much as I'd like to think I'd be able to go to Yale and kick ass even with the snow, the truth is I'd fall apart.

Even though I have good stats on paper I also have some negatives. I had a nervous breakdown my freshman year of college and had to leave school for a year. It isn't something I hid and I actually talk about it in my personal statement because I'm proud of being able to come back from that to graduate from college with a 3.8. I've learned how to live with my illness. A large part of it is being honest with myself about my own limitations. It is also why I want to be a lawyer. I want to help people who typically are marginalized by society, like the mentally ill.

Anyway, I suspect that some schools (Duke, for example) might not have had the same view of my life story. Instead of seeing it as someone overcoming an obstacle they may have seen "crazy girl" and passed. A lot of the schools that would take me on the basis of my numbers probably passed because of my history. It's probably better that they pass early on than to have hidden it and got accepted and feel I have to hide it.
Let's say that it was your PS that got you rejected from schools that should have accepted you based on your numbers. If you had written about something else and gotten accepted, its not like you would have had to hide "it" during law school. First of all, what is it that you'd be hiding? Secondly, what are they going to do to you if you're out with it? "We're sorry, you seem to be suffering from depression which is an automatically flunkable offense." Finally, if you're afraid that you may become suddenly depressed in law school and take a dive in grades, lower ranked schools are more likely to flunk you out than higher ranked ones.

With that said, you have admirable goals and I think you'll achieve what you want to do with your life. Having a free ride is a major bonus. Also, keep in mind that some higher ranked schools offer programs so that you don't have to pay off your student loans if you work in the public interest sphere.

cj2k14

New

Post by cj2k14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 pm

I did my undergrad at UF. Gainesville is a nice city.. a college town of course. There are nice places to live that aren't overrun by loud obnoxious undergrads. I personally lived at a place called Hampton oaks and then Fairmont Oaks right next door for a total of 3 years between the 2 places. I loved both of them and they are full of working professionals and a few students who are looking to get away from the typical undergrad party living scene. Rent is not terrible there and the nice thing is that both are next the mall where you can catch the #5 bus which stops directly at the law school in about a 15-20 minute ride. You also ride the bus for free around the city if you are a UF student. The law school is far far far away from the undergrad section of campus which is mainly anything east of gale lemerand ave and north of museum road. Frat row and a few dorms (Springs) are near the law school but I haven't heard anything from my friends who go there that it is a big issue. Its definitely worth a look in my opinion. Hope this helps in any way!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't understand the question here? You have borderline HYS stats, and are asking about FSU. This, coupled with the "I am not a big law person" suggests to me that YOU DO NOT WANT BIGLAW NO MATTER WHAT.

If you actually want to be a lawyer, you should try to go somewhere better; reapply next year and get half at a T10 (UVa is my fav, fwiw) and go there.

I just don't understand how you could have possibly gotten into this situation. I had roughly the same LSAT as you, a GPA that's about .6 lower, and I'm at ND on 75%-off... Law school is not a touchy-feely admissions process that values who you are as a person...

The atmosphere at FSU--I went there for UG--is unavoidably party-centric. It probably will affect your grades; it did mine (3.2 among average intelligence kids... I'm now top 15% in LS). The whole city exists to facilitate the 4-year party that is FSU undergrad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CP2323

New

Post by CP2323 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

I would say go to UF if you are interested in Florida. Better ranked school and better community plus you can drive down to Tampa or Orlando for weekends for stress relief.

I live in Tampa currently and would definitely choose UF over FSU.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 pm

flcath wrote:
The atmosphere at FSU--I went there for UG--is unavoidably party-centric. It probably will affect your grades; it did mine (3.2 among average intelligence kids... I'm now top 15% in LS). The whole city exists to facilitate the 4-year party that is FSU undergrad.
This is not true. I am fine in Grad School and have had no problems. The LS is also far enough removed where UGs wont be around all the time.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm

gingerkitty wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
It's more like, I'm 31 and know I don't want to live in a frat house and wanted to know if there were places in Tally where one could escape that atmosphere.

Actually, UF also offered me a full ride. But when I looked at that school it was just as bad in terms of atmosphere. It also had the negative of having a much larger student population.
UF is a huge state school as well, with plenty of partying if you want it, but it's not FSU. There are extremely few schools out there that can compete with FSU in the I'm-not-here-for-school mentality.

FSU's coolness permeates the classroom and the city: the girls (median attractiveness: 7.6) come to class made-up and dressed to kill; daily class attendance ranges from 50% to 80% depending on the class; a large group of my FSU LS friends would go to Fermentation Lounge 5+ times per week...

I don't know you, but if there is anywhere that will be too reckless for you, it is FSU.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

flcath wrote:
gingerkitty wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

UF is a huge state school as well, with plenty of partying if you want it, but it's not FSU. There are extremely few schools out there that can compete with FSU in the I'm-not-here-for-school mentality.

FSU's coolness permeates the classroom and the city: the girls (median attractiveness: 7.6) come to class made-up and dressed to kill; daily class attendance ranges from 50% to 80% depending on the class; a large group of my FSU LS friends would go to Fermentation Lounge 5+ times per week...

I don't know you, but if there is anywhere that will be too reckless for you, it is FSU.
No difference from UF there, median attractiveness might be a tad higher at UF.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Do you question your will power and drive for success so much that you think you wont be able to resist going out. Put on some horse blinders and do your reading. What makes people choose to go out over doing their school work is immaturity. At 31 that shouldnt be bothering you too much I hope. Reapply next cycle, and aply to harvard. Otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice. I feel like ben affleck in good will hunting.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

rman1201 wrote:No difference from UF there, median attractiveness might be a tad higher at UF.
Lol no. Maybe for guys.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Also, apparently Hillsborough County has around 4,500 lawyers alone. Just something to keep in mind.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Ginj wrote:Also, apparently Hillsborough County has around 4,500 lawyers alone. Just something to keep in mind.
Just do med school, bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:29 pm

You hated the QOL in Atlanta but want to move to Tallahassee ? :shock:

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Sandro wrote:You hated the QOL in Atlanta but want to move to Tallahassee ? :shock:
There are gorgeous places to live in Tallahassee.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm

govorett wrote:
Sandro wrote:You hated the QOL in Atlanta but want to move to Tallahassee ? :shock:
There are gorgeous places to live in Tallahassee.
Gorgeous ? Like, on the beach ? Or up in the Rocky Mountains ? Or in the heart of a big city ? Or... in the middle of the woods?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm

If you have a full ride from UF on the table, you should probably at least take that. Yes Gainesville is a college town, but is it REALLY that terrifying to know that some of your neighbors like to watch football and have a few beers? Surely you can find a quiet place to live. Picking FSU over UF because it's in slightly less of a college town is silly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”