Naysay Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Naysay

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am

what?
Last edited by LiveFreeOrLaw on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Full Ride at Irvine vs 10k UCLA

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:09 am

UCLA

Proven top 20 rep and I would imagine much better firm chances (even if seeking mid-size firm) than U. Irvine. But if you are really debt adverse or have some connection to UC Irvine then that's prob a good option. I imagine really it is prob. a toss up, but if I were you I think I'd go UCLA. What other factors play into your decision?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:13 am

no boalt with your numbers?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 am

Irvine, I'd say. They're going to work really hard to get their first few classes jobs, and it's not like there isn't an alumni network. Plenty of lawyers in Southern California went to UG at Irvine. Free school yo.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:34 am

UCLA in a heartbeat. Is Irvine even accredited? Why not just take the full ride at People's College of Law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 am

MrAnon wrote:UCLA in a heartbeat. Is Irvine even accredited? Why not just take the full ride at People's College of Law?
lol

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 am

MrAnon wrote:UCLA in a heartbeat. Is Irvine even accredited? Why not just take the full ride at People's College of Law?
Acting like Irvine won't be accredited, and top 50, is stupid. Because you might be stupid, I should state further that I'm calling your post stupid.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 am

with your numbers, i wouldn't go to either of those schools. UCLA is too expensive, Irvine is a nice little project. but with your numbers you should be looking at better options

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 am

twert wrote:with your numbers, i wouldn't go to either of those schools. UCLA is too expensive, Irvine is a nice little project. but with your numbers you should be looking at better options
I was surprised no USC mention, honestly. You would think an acceptance to UCLA would indicate one at USC. Haven't dealt with them, but if the law schools are anything like the undergrads then you would think USC would go 20K.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:50 am

twert wrote:with your numbers, i wouldn't go to either of those schools. UCLA is too expensive, Irvine is a nice little project. but with your numbers you should be looking at better options
:shock: Wow, yeah just looked at your numbers. Wondering if those are accurate though if these are the options you're looking at so far. I would definitely forget UCLA and Irvine and take a T6 admit (or at least Boalt) if those are your numbers. Nothing is guaranteed, but 174/ 3.7 should be a lock for T6, and could even put YHS in range depending on your softs.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:Don't want big law, but do want a decent job in a midsized firm. Not sure what kind of law yet.

What say you?
If the numbers in your profile are real, you would be an idiot to go to either.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 am

fatduck wrote:no boalt with your numbers?
Kicked me to the curb after 4 months of deliberation.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:Don't want big law, but do want a decent job in a midsized firm. Not sure what kind of law yet.

What say you?
(Numbers fudged a tad bit upward for anonymity) I want to stay in so cal.
Last edited by LiveFreeOrLaw on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 am

UCLA, not even a question. Try and leverage for more $$ using your full-ride, though.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:18 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

What say you?
I want to stay in so cal.
Like for school or for your career? I guess UCLA is probably almost as good as Chicago (which you could get) in SoCal. No Boalt?

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:18 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
I was surprised no USC mention, honestly. You would think an acceptance to UCLA would indicate one at USC. Haven't dealt with them, but if the law schools are anything like the undergrads then you would think USC would go 20K.
d34dluk3 wrote:Like for school or for your career? I guess UCLA is probably almost as good as Chicago (which you could get) in SoCal. No Boalt?

I've never been too fond of USC.

Although not desired out of So cal - Rejected at Boalt. pending at Stanford. Did not apply out of state because I cannot attend out of state. (personal/family reasons)
Last edited by LiveFreeOrLaw on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 am

Army2Law wrote:UCLA, not even a question. Try and leverage for more $$ using your full-ride, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote: Did not apply out of state because I cannot attend out of state. (personal/family reasons)
with your numbers i think you really need to shoot for a top 6 family

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:58 am

smittytron3k wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote: Did not apply out of state because I cannot attend out of state. (personal/family reasons)
You read my quote and still came to that conclusion eh?

Well this thread was a giant waste of time

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:48 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
smittytron3k wrote:

Why would you even consider what you think is a sinking ship I wonder? Best of luck wherever you choose. You should visit both schools if you haven't already, but I know I would not choose to attend a school I thought was a sinking ship if it were my decision to make. If your comment on the UCI forum reflects your belief about the school then it is silly to even pose the question.

LiveFreeOrLaw

New

Post by LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 am

uci2013 wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
smittytron3k wrote:

Why would you even consider what you think is a sinking ship I wonder? Best of luck wherever you choose. You should visit both schools if you haven't already, but I know I would not choose to attend a school I thought was a sinking ship if it were my decision to make. If your comment on the UCI forum reflects your belief about the school then it is silly to even pose the question.
Sorry I hurt your feelings :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Acting like Irvine won't be accredited, and top 50, is stupid. Because you might be stupid, I should state further that I'm calling your post stupid.
Where is the evidence that Irvine's accreditation is a given? There is none, aside from statements by the school that it is almost surely forthcoming. It could be the #1 school in the nation tomorrow, but it still won't be accredited.

poslhs

New

Post by poslhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm UCI 1L with full ride and I'm very happy with my decision. Feel free to ask any Q, although I'm obviously biased.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:24 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote: Although not desired out of So cal - Rejected at Boalt. pending at Stanford. Did not apply out of state because I cannot attend out of state. (personal/family reasons)
How is it that your personal/family reasons allow you to go to school in NorCal but not in Chicago or NYC? Chicago is like a 3 hour flight from LA. NYC is a 5 hour flight. The Bay Area is a 6-7 hour drive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”