A3 Clerk CA --> BigLaw NYC --> AUSA in CA --> BigLaw CA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Casey2889

Bronze

A3 Clerk CA --> BigLaw NYC --> AUSA in CA --> BigLaw CA

Post by Casey2889 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:30 pm

This is somewhat of a 2-part inquiry: I'm wondering (1) if the trajectory in the subject line makes sense, and if so, (2) whether Stanford (my intuitive preference) makes sense over Harvard. Thanks!

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: A3 Clerk CA --> BigLaw NYC --> AUSA in CA --> BigLaw CA

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 am

This seems to fit more or less with what I have heard about the progression there. On the topic of which school is best for which, I couldn't tell you.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am

Not sure if this is 0L ignorance but why the BigLaw NYC step - do you just want to be in NYC? Can't you get BigLaw in CA if you do an article 3 clerkship first and then be an AUSA and then go back to BigLaw?

PS if you can pull that off thats a pretty impressive trajectory

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 am

Why would you want to sit for the second hardest bar exam just to practice a few years then sit for the hardest bar exam?

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm

true, this could fully be 0L ignorance.

however i ask b/c, though i've been admitted to SLS, i have family and a SO currently tied down in the NYC area, which i enjoyed when i lived in manhattan for a few years. this isn't a "plan," or anything, i guess im just trying to gauge how flexible legal employment markets are.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Casey2889 wrote:true, this could fully be 0L ignorance.

however i ask b/c, though i've been admitted to SLS, i have family and a SO currently tied down in the NYC area, which i enjoyed when i lived in manhattan for a few years. this isn't a "plan," or anything, i guess im just trying to gauge how flexible legal employment markets are.
It's a really big deal to leave one state for another, because of the whole bar admission thing. It happens, but it's not just as simple as finding a new job. Some states don't allow any admission by waiver or reciprocity, and those that do often require seven or so years experience before you can waive in. Generally you take the bar where you want to be permanently, and if something comes up that changes that, you deal with it then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”