Overwhelmed!! Help me! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school...?

Iowa @ 43k/year
35%
Temple @ 30.5k/year
4%
AU @ 43k/year
20%
Howard (12k/year) @ 12k/year
17%
Syracuse (20k/year) @ 25k/year
4%
Hold out for one of the others...
20%

Total votes: 71

chrisbru

Gold

Re: Overwhelmed!! Help me!

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 pm

nightman09 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:If you have good connections to DC, then I'd go to Iowa... And try to negotiate some sort of scholarship. Iowa is a good school, and only fails because it has a hard time placing outside of Iowa and some nearby bigger cities (and a little bit of Chicago for the top students.) If you have DC connections, that shouldn't be as big of a problem.
Considering my scholarships are from schools ranked far below Iowa, how can I negotiate for more money?

Please see my corrected post.

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:I'm going to chime and and say that none of these are good options, unfortunately... It doesn't sound like you'll have a guaranteed job, so you need to go to a decent school. However, all are pretty expensive, and the ones that leave you near DC aren't worth the money.

If you have good connections to DC, then I'd go to Iowa... And try to negotiate some sort of scholarship. Iowa is a good school, and only fails because it has a hard time placing outside of Iowa and some nearby bigger cities (and a little bit of Chicago for the top students.) If you have DC connections, that shouldn't be as big of a problem.

Changed my mind. I don't have your numbers, but your profile says that you're an ethnic minority. Are you URM?

In any case, take a year off. Do these things:
1) Study hard, retake LSAT in June, get better score
2) Identify a better selection of schools on the east coast
3) Apply to schools you want to go to in October
1) I've taken the LSAT twice, studying both times extensively (and I mean... extensively). I have pretty bad performance anxiety and think that enduring another sitting could, actually, hurt me. [Yes, I know that law school won't be easy but that's really a different issue entirely...]
2) I choose my selection because I want to keep my options open. As I said, I'm flexible about where I want to live (I think I'd be equally as happy in Iowa as I'd be in, say, Philadelphia) but ultimately, I'd like to live abroad and know that I should probably work somewhere that facilitates this transition stateside.
3) I did apply in October.

Oh, and yeah, I'm a URM.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 pm

nightman09 wrote:
1) I've taken the LSAT twice, studying both times extensively (and I mean... extensively). I have pretty bad performance anxiety and think that enduring another sitting could, actually, hurt me. [Yes, I know that law school won't be easy but that's really a different issue entirely...]
2) I choose my selection because I want to keep my options open. As I said, I'm flexible about where I want to live (I think I'd be equally as happy in Iowa as I'd be in, say, Philadelphia) but ultimately, I'd like to live abroad and know that I should probably work somewhere that facilitates this transition stateside.
3) I did apply in October.

Oh, and yeah, I'm a URM.

I really don't know what to tell you. If you are URM you should kill it at schools if your GPA is decent and you did ok on your LSAT. If neither... I'd be worried about law school, honestly. You didn't get ANY money at Iowa?

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm

chrisbru wrote: I really don't know what to tell you. If you are URM you should kill it at schools if your GPA is decent and you did ok on your LSAT. If neither... I'd be worried about law school, honestly. You didn't get ANY money at Iowa?
I highly doubt that every single URM will have money thrown at them at every school, and I don't think that makes law school necessarily a bad choice for them. I'm risk-averse but independently financially comfortable where it'll be a hit but I won't be completely obliterated by paying sticker. In terms of Iowa scholarships, I'm pretty sure half of my acceptance packages have gotten lost in the mail, so I'm not sure... (I only found out about Syracuse less than a week ago, and the package had been sent out 1.5 months ago. I believe the rest have been lost in the mail.)

Are we saying that me attending any of these schools will completely rule out chances of me getting a job ANYWHERE?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

nightman09 wrote:
chrisbru wrote: I really don't know what to tell you. If you are URM you should kill it at schools if your GPA is decent and you did ok on your LSAT. If neither... I'd be worried about law school, honestly. You didn't get ANY money at Iowa?
I highly doubt that every single URM will have money thrown at them at every school, and I don't think that makes law school necessarily a bad choice for them. I'm risk-averse but independently financially comfortable where it'll be a hit but I won't be completely obliterated by paying sticker. In terms of Iowa scholarships, I'm pretty sure half of my acceptance packages have gotten lost in the mail, so I'm not sure... (I only found out about Syracuse less than a week ago, and the package had been sent out 1.5 months ago. I believe the rest have been lost in the mail.)

Are we saying that me attending any of these schools will completely rule out chances of me getting a job ANYWHERE?

No. No one has said anything close to that.

However, to do the type of work you want, out of the schools you applied to, Iowa is probably your best bet. If you can afford it, go for it... But as a URM, if you have a decent GPA, then you should really just try to raise your LSAT and you could go to a good school for cheaper or FREE, and probably find one closer to where you want to end up (DC). If you like your job, there's no harm in waiting a year to go to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

if you want to do international/NGO/human rights stuff, law school is probably not the best thing. And honestly, your options are TERRIBLE.

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm

General Tso wrote:if you want to do international/NGO/human rights stuff, law school is probably not the best thing.
You've peeked my interest, care to explain...?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm

nightman09 wrote:
General Tso wrote:if you want to do international/NGO/human rights stuff, law school is probably not the best thing.
You've peeked my interest, care to explain...?
well for one thing, you are going to spend a lot of time learning things that are of no interest to you. how does knowledge of res judicata, future interests, or respondeat superior aid in your career goals? I would wager that at least 2/3 of your law school courses will be totally unrelated to human rights, even if you make a conscious effort to take as many international law courses as you can.

More practically, law school is too expensive for such a low paid career.

I suggest an APSIA program.

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

General Tso wrote:well for one thing, you are going to spend a lot of time learning things that are of no interest to you. how does knowledge of res judicata, future interests, or respondeat superior aid in your career goals? I would wager that at least 2/3 of your law school courses will be totally unrelated to human rights, even if you make a conscious effort to take as many international law courses as you can.

More practically, law school is too expensive for such a low paid career.

I suggest an APSIA program.
All of these are really valid points, and thank you. Right now, I'm working in human rights and I really enjoy it but I'm not married to this area and I'd really like to explore my options elsewhere. My passion lies in humanitarian work, but I enjoy the intellectual structure and challenge of law. Right now, I'm learning towards doing legal aid work (especially as most tribunals are slowly ending) and while my experiences with this are limited I know that I, at least, will need a JD. But again, I know that a lot of students' paths change during law school, and I could very well end up in tax law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm

I voted for American. Great scholarship, in the city you love and has a reputation of loving do-goodery.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 am

Peg wrote:I voted for American. Great scholarship, in the city you love and has a reputation of loving do-goodery.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”