Vandy 2010 employment data Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
clone22

Bronze

Re: Vandy 2010 employment data

Post by clone22 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

So are there stats on how much of the class gets jobs that pay at or near 6 figures, whether biglaw or not?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:02 pm

rad law wrote:
Sentry wrote: I thought everyone generally agreed that the class of 11 who did OCI in 09 had the worst OCI.
Maybe I heard wrong. We'll see.
To clear up the class confusion about who did OCI when and who got screwed the most (I have this on pretty good knowledge as my sister was at a T14 during this time frame):

Class of '09 - OCI in '07 = boom-time OCI but suffered deferrals (and some no-offers) after the collapse

Class of '10 - OCI in '08 = did OCI in August/early September, pre-collapse; suffered further deferrals and increased no-offers (Chicago and Philadelphia got really hurt w/no-offers); some savvy no-offereds were able to get offers through 3L OCI and after after taking the bar because firms had cut too deeply (most in NYC). Some deferrals were moved up, and a lot of the "backlog" has been cleared up for the next couple of classes.

Class of '11 - OCI in '09 = generally got killed; firms decreased their class sizes, cut back on doing OCI. Really got hurt because of the large number of deferrals for '09/'10 classes. This is the year of employment stats we really want to see (even though at this point it may be obsolete for purposes of CO '13 and CO '14 OCI), but unfortunately it won't be available until next Spring.

(speculative from TLS) Class of '12 - OCI in '10 = NYC increase class sizes. Other markets appear much slower on recovery time (minus TX, which appeared to have a strong year last year). Some firms that did not have classes the year prior restored their summer programs.

Class of '13 - OCI in '11 - ?. Projected class sizes should come out on NALP in the next few weeks. Guessing things will stay flat from last year, with maybe some slight increases. Don't expect to see major increases in secondary markets.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:12 pm

rad law wrote:
nael wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Anyone have the cornell data that got leaked?

BTW - I think this placement data is actually pretty good. Vandy is currently ranked 17th. For a school ranked 17, they are placing 40% into NLJ250 or clerkships. They also probably place a bunch of people in well paying jobs in the south that arent NLJ250 firms but still pay well.

From this data, I think its safe to say atleast 50% or so of the student body was able to graduate making six figures, even when the economy was at it worst. What more can you ask?
+1.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/biglaw-e ... -a-debate/

It's this. It's people who got jobs through OCI, so it's not quite the same. Aside from the fact that Cornell is almost entirely NY firms here (also not necessarily NLJ250, either), you can sort-of generalize.

60% through OCI in 2010
40% through OCI in 2011

again, this isn't necessarily biglaw, just OCI. Someone can count up the firms if they want; I don't have time. I don't know why the dip happened for Cornell in 2011. Indications I heard was that it was better at Vandy OCI 2009.
Thanks.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Informative wrote:To be fair, a lot of people don't even consider the NLJ250 to be biglaw, only the V100. The NLJ250 is about as expansive a list as they come as far as biglaw. If a firm is not NLJ250, it is not biglaw, regardless of pay. The study isn't about people who get jobs "at or near six figures" in small boutiques. While fine, the NLJ study was about biglaw.
Who cares if its biglaw or not? If they pay six figures, they pay six figures. Plus even those PI jobs seem interesting. Dept of homeland security, state dept, aclu...etc.

Its not like these people are on craigslist or something...

Just my take. I wouldnt mind most of these jobs. In fact, they seem quite interesting.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Exit opportunities. Few if anyone makes or wants to make partner. You'll want to have good exit opportunities to transition into your second job a few years down the road. The best way to get the top second jobs your second time around is through the name cache of your employer. The top firms hire up when they hire laterals, so you want to be coming from a peer or better firm as a first year.

Also, the caliber of work you will be doing at a vault firm is going to be much more high-end work. No one goes to Dorsey & Whitney or Barnes Thornburg for company-on-the-line legal work. This almost always goes to a large coastal firm that is typically ranked in the V50. You'll get some good legal experience at non-vault firms, but if you want the best of the best type of work, you want a higly ranked Vault firm.

I know you probably don't think these things now, but you will all be discussing this in a year when you are in OCI mode.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

This data doesn’t seem out of the ordinary, especially compared to the Cornell data that got leaked on ATL. Most importantly, you probably won’t be unemployed from Vandy, but I would probably not pay sticker.
Does anyone have a link to this Cornell data?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 am

theturkeyisfat wrote:
This data doesn’t seem out of the ordinary, especially compared to the Cornell data that got leaked on ATL. Most importantly, you probably won’t be unemployed from Vandy, but I would probably not pay sticker.
Does anyone have a link to this Cornell data?
Already been posted bro

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Is there any way to get a hold of other school's job lists?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Sentry wrote:Is there any way to get a hold of other school's job lists?
If a school doesn't volunteer the info, your best bet is to ask the school after you've been admitted. Otherwise, it's an uphill battle (just ask LST).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:25 pm

beachbum wrote:
Sentry wrote:Is there any way to get a hold of other school's job lists?
If a school doesn't volunteer the info, your best bet is to ask the school after you've been admitted. Otherwise, it's an uphill battle (just ask LST).
I know from experience that if you ask Harvard's OCS they just ignore you. :cry:

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:11 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
spondee wrote:OCI 2008 was a pretty good year. Lehman collapsed in the fall after most of Biglaw had finished hiring. A lot of the c/o 2010 had BigLaw summers but got no-offered.

Not sure if that means anything to the data you have, but getting no-offered and scramblng for a job in 3L seems different than striking out at OCI and spending both 2L and 3L setting up for something.
Uh, since when does most of Biglaw finish hiring 2Ls by September 15th?
That's a fair critique given what I wrote, but it misses the point. Yes, Lehman filed for bankruptcy on 9/15, but the extent of the economy's collapse wasn't clear for some time.

My point was to correct OP's implication that OCI 2008 was the worst and to help give better context for the data presented.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

spondee wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
spondee wrote:OCI 2008 was a pretty good year. Lehman collapsed in the fall after most of Biglaw had finished hiring. A lot of the c/o 2010 had BigLaw summers but got no-offered.

Not sure if that means anything to the data you have, but getting no-offered and scramblng for a job in 3L seems different than striking out at OCI and spending both 2L and 3L setting up for something.
Uh, since when does most of Biglaw finish hiring 2Ls by September 15th?
That's a fair critique given what I wrote, but it misses the point. Yes, Lehman filed for bankruptcy on 9/15, but the extent of the economy's collapse wasn't clear for some time.

My point was to correct OP's implication that OCI 2008 was the worst and to help give better context for the data presented.
In any case, this list wasn't just OCI, it's employed when the survey was sent out after graduation. It does reflect no-offers I'd expect. Probably not deferrals though.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

<--- wants to know who vandyjobs is!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:34 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:<--- wants to know who vandyjobs is!
Are you still at Vandy, or did you already graduate?

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm a 3L.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I'm a 3L.
Ah ok.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics