TLS Law School Rankings Outdated Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Übermensch

New

TLS Law School Rankings Outdated

Post by Übermensch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the GPA and LSAT statistics on the TLS rankings of law schools are outdated? They're from 2008. I have checked the websites of several schools, and their numbers seem to have changed just a bit.

For example, the TLS rankings list Chicago's 25th-75th percentile GPA range as 3.63 to 3.84. However, according to the most recent numbers from Chicago's website, the Class of 2013's 25th-75th percentile GPA spread is 3.59 to 3.87. Similarly, the LSAT 25th-75th percentile is now 168-172, not 169-173, as is reported on the TLS rankings.

There are several other schools that need to be updated, also.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Re: TLS Law School Rankings Outdated

Post by cornellbeez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Übermensch wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the GPA and LSAT statistics on the TLS rankings of law schools are outdated? They're from 2008. I have checked the websites of several schools, and their numbers seem to have changed just a bit.
To answer your question - yes, I have noticed they are outdated.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Why would you ever look at the TLS rankings? They don't mean anything.

NLJ250 rankings for biglaw placement if that is what you are interested in, otherwise just rely on US News.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

yes.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Chicago took a hit? Damn, WTF. Look's like NYU will unseat UofC for 5th on USNWR soon.
Last edited by dissonance1848 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Übermensch

New

Post by Übermensch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Are there any plans to update them? Thousands of people probably rely on the numbers reported on those rankings to determine where they should apply.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

USNWR is always at least a few years old on data. Check out the Class of 2013 medians thread for updated info. The law school websites vary alot in terms of how dated their stats are.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Übermensch wrote:Are there any plans to update them? Thousands of people probably rely on the numbers reported on those rankings to determine where they should apply.
Not sure, you could ask the mods about it. However, my opinion is that no one should be solely relying on TLS's rankings to determine where they should apply. They could look at the latest USNWR rankings, the school webpages, or a multitude of other resources if they are trying to make a solid decision.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

When you type "law school rankings" into google this is the first result: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

They should probably update the numbers. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curry

Post by Curry » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:When you type "law school rankings" into google this is the first result: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Should they? They'll do it when they do it. Its a free service. Be happy that you're getting it.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:36 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:When you type "law school rankings" into google this is the first result: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Critical thinking and thorough research on LS would be more beneficial for those applying then simply choosing the first Google result.

ImpatientlyWaiting

New

Post by ImpatientlyWaiting » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Informative wrote:Why would you ever look at the TLS rankings? They don't mean anything.

NLJ250 rankings for biglaw placement if that is what you are interested in, otherwise just rely on US News.

NLJ250 rankings are not very useful. What I would want to know is the likelihood of getting into Biglaw from each law school if you actually want it, not the overall percentage of students who go into Biglaw from each law school. Massive difference.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:58 pm

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:
Informative wrote:Why would you ever look at the TLS rankings? They don't mean anything.

NLJ250 rankings are not very useful. What I would want to know is the likelihood of getting into Biglaw from each law school if you actually want it, not the overall percentage of students who go into Biglaw from each law school. Massive difference.
Only if you assume there is a massive difference between the preferences of the students at one law school compared to another which is something I don't really believe. If you throw in clerkship data, I think it is pretty accurate used in conjunction with the U.S. News rankings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:45 pm

25/75 numbers are pretty useless; median numbers are the only thing factored into USNWR rankings, and (for the most part) what you should be using for gauging admission likelihood.

If you want an aggregation of updated medians, this thread was doing just that.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:25/75 numbers are pretty useless; median numbers are the only thing factored into USNWR rankings, and (for the most part) what you should be using for gauging admission likelihood.
Median GPA and LSAT are the only numbers factored in for USNews rankings, but I think 25-75 is also relevant for gauging T14 admissions, particular for certain schools like UVA, GULC, and NU. UVA only accepts splitters and yield protects everyone with high numbers. (In this case, the real question is, how low can my LSAT/GPA be for admissions if I have one decent stat?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”