How is Thomas M. Cooley law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jasonc.

Bronze

Re: How is Thomas M. Cooley law school?

Post by jasonc. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

How is cooley rankings less reputable than us news?

Top14Hope

Bronze

Post by Top14Hope » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

jasonc. wrote:How is cooley rankings less reputable than us news?
1.Because Cooley made the rankings
2.Because the rankings obviously mean nothing
3.Repeat 1 and 2

Section141

New

Post by Section141 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow Cooley is better than Stanford? Probably worth sticker then right?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Retake.

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
1.Because Cooley made the rankings
2.Because the rankings obviously mean nothing
3.Repeat 1 and 2
And, most importantly, because of some rather humorous criteria included in their ranking formula, like number of librarians or seats in the library.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

androstan wrote:
Rmdxthx wrote:How is this law school? It has been sending mails to me for months. Full tuition waived.
( International student. December LSAT 165, GPA 3.62, so it looks like that I will get in if I apply)
It's ranked the 12th best law school in the US:

--LinkRemoved--
LOL LMAO, they write their own rankings!
This is such a bizarre fallacy, yet I applaud the audacity of Cooley's people to come up with such rankings.
Well played, en FUEGO!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm

apollo13 wrote:
androstan wrote:
Rmdxthx wrote:How is this law school? It has been sending mails to me for months. Full tuition waived.
( International student. December LSAT 165, GPA 3.62, so it looks like that I will get in if I apply)

--LinkRemoved--
This is such a bizarre fallacy, yet I applaud the audacity of Cooley's people to come up with such rankings.
Well played, en FUEGO!
And they put Harvard and Georgetown up top to convince the unwary. It is rather well played.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

apollo13 wrote:
androstan wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Well played, en FUEGO!
Totally, Stanford is such a TTT. Cooley = gobs of chutzpah.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 am

soullesswonder wrote:No offense intended to anyone in this thread, but I have no idea how you can reach 500+ posts on TLS and not know about the Cooley rankings. It's the main reason it gets singled out for abuse above and beyond the usual TTT slights.
Maybe we have been more effective at regulating Cooley threads recently than we thought?

Makes me wonder if these people know about the other running joke of a law school:

http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

echo

New

Post by echo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 am

Bosque wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:No offense intended to anyone in this thread, but I have no idea how you can reach 500+ posts on TLS and not know about the Cooley rankings. It's the main reason it gets singled out for abuse above and beyond the usual TTT slights.
Maybe we have been more effective at regulating Cooley threads recently than we thought?
I'm obviously fairly new to TLS (see post count), and even I was aware of Cooley's status as forum whipping boy. Although this was the first time I had seen the breakdown of what categories they factored into their rankings.

I do have to admit, however, that this has made me pretty curious about the Cooley library. Should I ever find myself passing through Grand Rapids, I might stop in to take a look.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 am

androstan wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
androstan wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
oh my god. my day has been made. georgetown at #2 and UVA at #4??? maybe i should reconsider my first choice.
Eh, Harvard is the only truly national one. GNV are really good though, but are essentially peer schools. Go to the one where you want to live/practice and/or the one that offers you the most money.

TMU, CYG rounds out the T10. After that it's pretty regional. A lot of people opt out of the T10 and go to Cooley on a full scholarship and see pretty good Michigan prospects afterward.

People who talk about T12, CYGUT, are just blatantly Cooley trolling. Cooley students are a bit insecure and have a tendency to do that. The UMinn kids have a little more self respect and confidence so you don't usually see T11 trolling.
You see... how can you hate on unoriginal cooley troll when it provides another poster a blank canvas to create this masterpiece reply? Bravo!

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Cornell is ranked only 33 spots behind Cooley, sliding in right ahead of Catholic U at #45.

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm

YES GW is ranked #9! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm

those are the 2008 rankings. In 2010 Cooley made a massive jump to #2, beating out Yale and Stanford.

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2010.html

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Hey guys,

Let's all drop what we're doing and apply at Florida Coastal!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Bosque wrote:
Makes me wonder if these people know about the other running joke of a law school:

[img]
So is People's College of Law real???? I always thought it was a joke, started by that image you posted, but I see there is a website! OMFG is all I can say if PCL is real.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 pm

DeeCee wrote:
So is People's College of Law real???? I always thought it was a joke, started by that image you posted, but I see there is a website! OMFG is all I can say if PCL is real.
It's one of many regionally (not ABA) accredited law schools in California.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 pm

I saw this little gem in a TLS article
Antonio Villaraigosa is the mayor of Los Angeles and a People's College of Law (unaccredited) graduate. Gilbert Cedillo, a member of the California State Senate, is also a PCL alumnus, although it should be noted that neither he nor Villaraigosa is a member of the California bar.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/californ ... y-bar.html

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 pm

rman1201 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
It's one of many regionally (not ABA) accredited law schools in California.
WOW, this is shocking.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 pm

rman1201 wrote:I saw this little gem in a TLS article
Antonio Villaraigosa is the mayor of Los Angeles and a People's College of Law (unaccredited) graduate. Gilbert Cedillo, a member of the California State Senate, is also a PCL alumnus, although it should be noted that neither he nor Villaraigosa is a member of the California bar.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/californ ... y-bar.html
Thanks for that link I'm reading it now. I definitely learned something new today!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Bosque wrote:

I actually don't agree with harping on this college. They're not misleading anyone by creating false rankings, they don't charge $40k a year, and they weren't created for the same reason as most other law schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

I actually don't agree with harping on this college. They're not misleading anyone by creating false rankings, they don't charge $40k a year, and they weren't created for the same reason as most other law schools.
+1. "If you want to be a prosecutor or corporate attorney don't bother applying" - PCL website.
A much different vibe than the Cooley/TTT message of "Apply here and you'll be rich & famous, we have $80k+ starting salaries". I recant any posts that may seem condescending about PCL. (Though the infamous PCL pic is epic win)

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:51 am

Drake014 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Agreed. PCOL is very cheap, and its primary aim is to provide a legal education to people in a disadvantaged community, for the sake of the community. It's arguably not a good school by TLS standards, but it doesn't deserve ridicule like Cooley. That said, people making fun of Cooley isn't funny anymore, just sad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”