U-texas vs IUB$$$ ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ccmoon

New

U-texas vs IUB$$$ ?

Post by ccmoon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am

Still waiting for mail from ut ,but I guess there won't be any money.
On the other hand, IUB gave me a full ride.

I'm an international student, and it will be my first time to be in USA╮(╯▽╰)╭
Biglaw is something that I would like to pursue,but clerkship is also ok. I'm interested in trade/business law.

I suppose it will cost 180k for texas,but only 20k for IUB.
My family would like to support me with the money, but I dont want to rely on them.
It will be a lot pressure for me when thinking about the money in UT.I'm young and would like to try the difference, so I dont know where my future lies.
Besides, IMO,texas seems to be more competitive than IUB,which makes me a little nervous.

So....Does it worth to spend the money in texas or just take the money and be at Iub?
Any thoughts?~~~~thanks
:wink:

glewz

Silver

Re: U-texas vs IUB$$$ ?

Post by glewz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 am

ccmoon wrote:Still waiting for mail from ut ,but I guess there won't be any money.
On the other hand, IUB gave me a full ride.

I'm an international student, and it will be my first time to be in USA╮(╯▽╰)╭
Biglaw is something that I would like to pursue,but clerkship is also ok. I'm interested in trade/business law.

I suppose it will cost 180k for texas,but only 20k for IUB.
My family would like to support me with the money, but I dont want to rely on them.
It will be a lot pressure for me when thinking about the money in UT.I'm young and would like to try the difference, so I dont know where my future lies.
Besides, IMO,texas seems to be more competitive than IUB,which makes me a little nervous.

So....Does it worth to spend the money in texas or just take the money and be at Iub?
Any thoughts?~~~~thanks
:wink:

first send a letter to texas for more $ - something along the lines of "super interested in texas (for various reasons), but financially difficult. got into xyz school with $$$ --> please sweeten the deal." Then evaluate. Best luck.

Depending on whether you got into a slightly lower school than TX, with small $, you might want to think over which schools you include in the letter - IUB isn't a peer

ccmoon

New

Post by ccmoon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 am

glewz wrote:
first send a letter to texas for more $ - something along the lines of "super interested in texas (for various reasons), but financially difficult. got into xyz school with $$$ --> please sweeten the deal." Then evaluate. Best luck.

Depending on whether you got into a slightly lower school than TX, with small $, you might want to think over which schools you include in the letter - IUB isn't a peer
It's really a good idea,but with a 167 lsat,won't it be a little difficult to ask for money?
Got wl from gwu,uiuc,umn, rej from bu,bc
It's even like a miracle for me to be admitted by ut~

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 am

When did you apply? Did you ED to anywhere? 167 isn't horrible, I think you should have more options that give you shots at big law. Landing biglaw outside of T14 is tough, so it would help you if you could crack T14, retake or no retake (167 is possible if you play it right).

ccmoon

New

Post by ccmoon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:When did you apply? Did you ED to anywhere? 167 isn't horrible, I think you should have more options that give you shots at big law. Landing biglaw outside of T14 is tough, so it would help you if you could crack T14, retake or no retake (167 is possible if you play it right).
I finished my application in late Oct.ED nowhere.
I really don't want to retake LSAT,so...I think the best choice for me is to take the chance and choose a school this year. Although the choice seems to be tough for me.:wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

ccmoon wrote:
r6_philly wrote:When did you apply? Did you ED to anywhere? 167 isn't horrible, I think you should have more options that give you shots at big law. Landing biglaw outside of T14 is tough, so it would help you if you could crack T14, retake or no retake (167 is possible if you play it right).
I finished my application in late Oct.ED nowhere.
I really don't want to retake LSAT,so...I think the best choice for me is to take the chance and choose a school this year. Although the choice seems to be tough for me.:wink:
I think you would have netted a T14 ED if you craft your application carefully. I know it's tough to think about retake and/or reapply, but do you want to live/work in TX or midwest?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 pm

If you would like to live & work in Texas, then UTexas is the better choice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm

This comes down to whether you want to work in Texas or Indiana. These are both pretty good choices.

I'd say Texas nets you as good a chance at biglaw as the lowest T14's would, but it will likely confine you to Texas (possibly NYC if you do well).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”