UVa (90k) vs. Michigan (45k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVa (90k) vs. Michigan (45k) IP/tech law in CA

UVa (90k)
83%
Michigan (45k)
17%

Total votes: 110

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UVa (90k) vs. Michigan (45k)

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Why aren't you considering Texas ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 pm

A&O wrote: ...whatever it is, you're proceeding a false assumption. That's all I'm pointing out.
I don't have an assumption at this point. If it seems like one, it is due to the fact that I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 pm

So while I am confident I will be awesome at the doing the work, I want to put myself in a good position to get the best jobs. Again I don't know how the hiring works, that's why I am trying to find out here.
The geographic influences of the school will have a far greater impact on your career prospects in the Bay Area than the curricular specialties of each school. But as spondee pointed out, the curriculum might have greater significance to you than whatever supposed enhanced career prospects it provides.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why aren't you considering Texas ?
Sorry I missed your question. Texas offered less than UVa, and I don't know if I want to stay in Texas.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:21 pm

A&O wrote:
So while I am confident I will be awesome at the doing the work, I want to put myself in a good position to get the best jobs. Again I don't know how the hiring works, that's why I am trying to find out here.
The geographic influences of the school will have a far greater impact on your career prospects in the Bay Area than the curricular specialties of each school. But as spondee pointed out, the curriculum might have greater significance to you than whatever supposed enhanced career prospects it provides.
"Might" is not definitive. These options are not at equal cost, so it's hard to gauge. I realize the area advantage, but should the proximity advantage outweigh the cost disadvantage?

Also, Boalt/S is out of scope of this discussion at the moment due to the uncertainties. I agree with you UVa should be above Michigan at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I realize the area advantage, but should the proximity advantage outweigh the cost disadvantage?
If you weren't doing IP, I'd say yes. Since you're doing IP (and presumably have the undergraduate credentials for it), I think it just doesn't matter. Even with just decent grades at a T10 school, having a tech background will make you a valuable commodity for any firm looking for IP attorneys.

That's really my opinion, though. Maybe people who have interviewed for IP positions can answer that better (and, for that, you might find more responses in the Legal Employment section).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:32 pm

A&O wrote:
I realize the area advantage, but should the proximity advantage outweigh the cost disadvantage?
If you weren't doing IP, I'd say yes. Since you're doing IP (and presumably have the undergraduate credentials for it), I think it just doesn't matter. Even with just decent grades at a T10 school, having a tech background will make you a valuable commodity for any firm looking for IP attorneys.

That's really my opinion, though. Maybe people who have interviewed for IP positions can answer that better (and, for that, you might find more responses in the Legal Employment section).
My UG is computer science and I have long WE in the field. I am simply trying to reach across the table to become the legal part of the same transactions and activities that I have been involved in.

Thanks for the employment section suggestion, I think I will start over there now that I have gotten in law schools.

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

dr123 wrote:
afcanoe wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Rent in Ann Arbor's cheap cheap cheap, most of friends in A2 with one bedroom apts pay around 400-450 a month. I was living in a pretty nice house in a2 for a few months and it was only 200/month per person. Just don't be fooled by the housing that's advertised towards students those places are always extremely overpriced
Just fyi - as someone who went to UM for undergrad and still lives in the area, A2 is not necessarily this cheap. As an undergrad, I paid approx. $500/month for a room in a 7-bedroom house, and a decent 3-br. house or apt. is going to run you at least $1500-$2000/month. Maybe I was fooled by the housing advertised towards students, but I've done a fair amount of research within the past few months (UM is a serious option for me, too), and I've never seen prices that low.

dr123 - did you live in a sublet when you lived in A2 for a few months? I've seen summer sublets that cheap, but not otherwise...
summer sublet, but that was their rent year round I was just filling in cause I was home for the summer and a friend was abroad, and a2 is that cheap if you stay out of downtown (westside jackson rd meijer area, dixboro, ypsi/a2 border are really cheap and you can find some gems around north campus). I am a townie though, and townies don't get gauged like the students do.

edit: I just took a quck look at craigslist and pretty much everything is around 600 a month for a 2 br and right next to wcc which is really close to UM, i dont see how you're having trouble
Oh - you're totally right about rent outside of downtown A2/campus area. I lived near WCC for a year, and that was much cheaper. I was referring to housing on campus (that's where I want to live if I end up at Michigan law). The convenience/being close to the law quad and all the restaurants/shops is worth it IMO. I wasn't a huge fan of living out near WCC/ypsi. Depot town is nice, but not a whole lot else...

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 pm

UVA all the way. Not even a question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:26 pm

R6 -- I'd throw an email to Mich with the UVa offer. They say they don't compete, but past practice has indicated otherwise. If they bump you up to a full Deans schollie - 67.5, I believe - I'd take Michigan over UVa.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 pm

forward wrote:R6 -- I'd throw an email to Mich with the UVa offer. They say they don't compete, but past practice has indicated otherwise. If they bump you up to a full Deans schollie - 67.5, I believe - I'd take Michigan over UVa.
I am not quite ready to negotiate yet because I am still waiting on decisions and scholly from other schools. I don't know if I should waste anyone's time at the moment. But I probably will in a little while. Also wanted to see if UVa gives me any need grants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”