U of Minnesota or Notre Dame Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fedexmalcom

New

U of Minnesota or Notre Dame

Post by fedexmalcom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 pm

I am interested in corporate law and finance law. These two law schools cost me
about the same so debt is not a question here.

OCI of Notre Dame was said to be horrible last year. That really scares me.
I was also told that Minnesota did well in landing jobs last year. So I am a
bit confused now.

How does Minnesota students do in legal markets outside its state?
Is Notre Dame that disappointing last year?

fedexmalcom

New

Re: U of Minnesota or Notre Dame

Post by fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:58 am

pop up. posted for two weeks. Any suggestion is appreciated!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 am

They are about the same, go to Notre Dame for the lay prestige and better weather.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:03 am

thanks for the first replying to my post.
I was a bit concerned about the OCI data.
How did UMN do last year? Any advice?
Thanks!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:05 am

Don't think about which will do better at jobs because they're about equal and it's hard to predict which will bounce back from the recession better. The biggest difference will be your individual performance and how well you network.

Just go to whatever place you think you'd like. Lay prestige and college sports vs. awesome city and cold cold cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:14 am

that is really impressive. I thought they had similar weather.
Hannibal wrote:Don't think about which will do better at jobs because they're about equal and it's hard to predict which will bounce back from the recession better. The biggest difference will be your individual performance and how well you network.

Just go to whatever place you think you'd like. Lay prestige and college sports vs. awesome city and cold cold cold.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 am

Hannibal wrote:They are about the same, go to Notre Dame for the lay prestige and better weather.
The weather in Indiana and Minnesota is pretty much equally shitty

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 am

I'm not saying Indiana is good weather at all. But I mean...come on. Minnesota.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 am

Hannibal wrote:I'm not saying Indiana is good weather at all. But I mean...come on. Minnesota.
I take it you've never lived in the midwest, the difference is negligible at best. Indiana's like the windiest state in the US so winters there are pretty fucking brutal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 am

dr123 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I'm not saying Indiana is good weather at all. But I mean...come on. Minnesota.
I take it you've never lived in the midwest, the difference is negligible at best. Indiana's like the windiest state in the US so winters there are pretty fucking brutal.
That is true, I haven't lived in the midwest. I just looked at the average snowfall and temperature data and assumed that was roughly correspondent to shittyness.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 am

IF ND was in Southern Indiana it'd be a diff story, but south bend is up by lake michigan. Average temp in northern Indiana is only a few degrees higher than in Minnesota. (for me at least) cold is cold, I can't really tell the difference between 22 degrees and 17 degrees. They're both just fucking cold.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:40 am

Weather is a good topic. Could anyone discuss about job placement of these two law schools?
I also have options for Maryland, Wisconsin, Iowa. all in similar rankings.
I understand it is difficult to find a job from anyone of these schools. Same ranking, same situation.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 am

Hannibal wrote:Don't think about which will do better at jobs because they're about equal and it's hard to predict which will bounce back from the recession better. The biggest difference will be your individual performance and how well you network.

I don't really think the bolded is accurate. Yes, Notre Dame is mentioned more frequently than Minnesota in college football conversations. However, Minnesota is a Big Ten school (one of the worse ones for football, but still, and they have a brand new stadium), and outside of football it puts Notre Dame to shame. UM is historically the best hockey school in the country IMO, and one of the best wrestling schools of the past few decades (if you care about wrestling). The basketball team is also currently ranked in the AP top 25, and seems to make the NCAA tournament roughly every other year. I suppose you could say "Lay prestige and college football" and be accurate (arguably, but you would probably win the debate based on historical prestige), but definitely not "Lay prestige and college sports". JMO.

Edit: TL;DR: ND>UM for college football, UM>ND for college sports, bottom line, who gives a shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:59 am

weather and sports are all good. Could people focus on something more related to jobs?
I am really worried about horrible job landing in Notre Dame. Hope to hear something about Minnesota OCI or fall recruitment last year.
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

I don't really think the bolded is accurate. Yes, Notre Dame is mentioned more frequently than Minnesota in college football conversations. However, Minnesota is a Big Ten school (one of the worse ones for football, but still, and they have a brand new stadium), and outside of football it puts Notre Dame to shame. UM is historically the best hockey school in the country IMO, and one of the best wrestling schools of the past few decades (if you care about wrestling). The basketball team is also currently ranked in the AP top 25, and seems to make the NCAA tournament roughly every other year. I suppose you could say "Lay prestige and college football" and be accurate (arguably, but you would probably win the debate based on historical prestige), but definitely not "Lay prestige and college sports". JMO.

Edit: TL;DR: ND>UM for college football, UM>ND for college sports, bottom line, who gives a shit.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 pm

FattyMcFatFat wrote:

This post couldn't be more wrong. Notre Dame's 'other sports' are actually the best part of the athletic program, football has been down for years although it is getting better.

Women's soccer- national champs
Men's soccer- Sweet 16
Men's hockey- ranked #10 (Minnesota has a traditional advantage here, but not this year...and we were in the title game three years ago)
Men's basketball- ranked #7AP/#8 Coaches (Minnesota is about to fall about of both polls)
Women's basketball- Ranked #8 in both polls (Minnesota nowhere to be found)
Men's lacrosse- made the national championship game last year (Minnesota doesn't know what lacrosse is)
Women's lacrosse- ranked in the top 15 every year for the past decade

What else do you want in terms of sports? Oh, and we currently have the best fencer in the country (as per the last Olympics).

As for job placement, I would say the two schools are roughly equal, but the stats from 2009 give ND a pretty wide advantage in NLJ 250- 28.8 vs. 19.4. I would say only go to Minnesota if you are pretty sure you want to work in Minneapolis, since the market there is fairly insular and they tend to hire a lot from in-state schools.

adude

New

Post by adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:26 am

U of Minnesota has a sweet tunnel system. Can't pass up a school with tunnels.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

adude wrote:U of Minnesota has a sweet tunnel system. Can't pass up a school with tunnels.

My thread now totally turned to an issue related with college sports.
Hope more suggestions on other aspects.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Look at the bottom of my last post...I don't know what else to tell you about the two schools. Multiple people telling you the same data probably won't help.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 pm

Depends where you want to work. If the costs are equal, I'd personally choose Notre Dame for the additional portability.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Go to UM so I can have your spot and get off the ND WL :lol: but seriously I'd say ND would carry more lay prestige, and if debt is no issue, I would go to ND in a heartbeat.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I have the c/o 2009 report for ND, which accounts for where all our students went. It's not this fall's OCI data, or even c/o 2010 (the nadir of the economy) data, but it's what I've got. Send me a drop email address and I can send it to you. In general, I've been pretty impressed at the job ND does of getting grads jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

IamAskier wrote:Go to UM so I can have your spot and get off the ND WL :lol: but seriously I'd say ND would carry more lay prestige, and if debt is no issue, I would go to ND in a heartbeat.
lol lay prestige = pretty worthless

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Thank you for everyone posted to my question!
I had the employment report of 2009 and I am aware of advantages of Notre Dame compared with UMN. Most of the people I consulted in this forum preferred Notre Dame. I appreciate your
suggestions.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 am

rad law wrote:
IamAskier wrote:Go to UM so I can have your spot and get off the ND WL :lol: but seriously I'd say ND would carry more lay prestige, and if debt is no issue, I would go to ND in a heartbeat.
This is so not true it's ridiculous.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm

flcath wrote:
rad law wrote:
This is so not true it's ridiculous.
+1.

It matters more than you think.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”