Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
willbrittany

New

Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Post by willbrittany » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:44 pm

I've been accepted to Harvard, Berkeley and Georgetown. I'm trying to make a decision as to where to attend, but I'm feeling pretty torn up over the different factors to consider:

- I haven't finished my financial aid paperwork, so I have no clue what kind of money I'll get. However, since law schools have this annoying tendency to ask for both parents' income info, I have a feeling I won't be getting very much--even though I didn't receive assistance from my father throughout my childhood.
- I'm an URM (both AA and LGBT). I bring this up because I don't know if it will impact the money I get offered, and because I want to attend a school with sufficient resources for Black and LGBT students. I attended UW-Madison for undergrad, and while I love the place, I don't feel like putting myself through that kind of tokenism again.
- I want to go into public interest law. Of course, this choice also limits my income prospects, and how able I'll be to pay off those fun student loans.
- A big part of me wants to say to hell with everything and just go to Harvard, cost be damned.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

A&O

Bronze

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown vs. Harvard

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm

All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm

A&O wrote:All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.
This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly even Boalt).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

bk187 wrote:
A&O wrote:All things being equal, go to Harvard. If Berkeley or Georgetown throws a substantial amount of money at you, then come back. But unless it's at least close to a full scholarship, go to Harvard.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Visit all three on admit days if possible and see how you feel about each school. Go where you'll be happy because you'll likely be very successful regardless of your choice.
This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly definitely Boalt).

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

harvard. hi fellow badger :)

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I cant speak for the AA or Gay community at any school, but if you are interested in PI, Harvard has one of the best LRAPs around, so $ shouldnt be that big a factor.

But really, how is this even a question?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm

bk187 wrote:
This is not as true if one ends up submedian at GULC (or possibly even Boalt).
True until you factor in URM hiring.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:True until you factor in URM hiring.
From everything on TLS, I highly doubt this is going to make up for bad grades.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Also, ignore Bilbo.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 am

You should probably ignore me if you want the perspective of someone who has observed two years of 2L OCIP and two years of 1L OCIP. What's your perspective based on?

There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 am

bilbobaggins wrote:There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.
This is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that OP would still be tremendously better off going to Harvard over either Boalt or GULC if they're all at sticker.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 am

if you're parents aren't wealthy the financial aid at Harvard would probably still result in a cheaper price tag than either of the other schools
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 am

trudat15 wrote:I cant speak for the AA or Gay community at any school, but if you are interested in PI, Harvard has one of the best LRAPs around, so $ shouldnt be that big a factor.

But really, how is this even a question?
Doesn't Boalt also have one of the best LRAPs, maybe second only to Yale? But reiterate what the majority has said, Harvard seems to be a good choice.
Last edited by tea_drinker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 am

I don't know about Black community at HLS, but their OUTlaw is very active, and it's a very welcoming environment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 am

The guy said he wanted public interest and yet posters still started arguing about firm placement.
OP, what kind of public interest are you exactly interested in? There is a big range out there.

I can't speak to the climate at other schools, but at Berkeley being AA and LGBT would certainly not make you a token. We do have a far less active LGBT law group than other schools. However, that could be because the LGBT population is really quite high because it's, well, Berkeley. Like any other law school, there are not a ton of AA students. However, there is a pretty active club for students of African descent.

You can PM me if you want, but if you are more specific of what kind of public interest you are considering, I could probably tell you a bit at least about what Berkeley would offer you.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 am

bilbobaggins wrote:You should probably ignore me if you want the perspective of someone who has observed two years of 2L OCIP and two years of 1L OCIP. What's your perspective based on?

There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.
I'm not saying you're wrong, it just seems that more 2L's seem to say it doesn't matter than that it does.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am

Visit all three if you can. If you're sure about PI law, Berkeley and Harvard should have outstanding LRAPs; duno which one's better, but I'm sure you can draw distinctions.

If you're unfamiliar with LRAP: it's basically a loan relief program that is contingent upon a certain # years in Public Interest work. Schools often have different definitions of what qualifies as public interest, (e.g. salary caps, list of organizations) amount of $ paid off, your annual payment(s), leeway in working in non-public interest fields / switching back n forth, etc.

On the LGBT note, Berkeley --> SF --> the world's LGBT center

Keep in mind that URM does give you a boost in recruiting. For example, if you are a big more open to considering corporate law, look towards SEO: --LinkRemoved--

Deadline is Feb 15 - it's basically an awesome (and much easier) way to get fed clerkships & firm contacts. AA only (i think)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:50 am

glewz wrote:Visit all three if you can. If you're sure about PI law, Berkeley and Harvard should have outstanding LRAPs; duno which one's better, but I'm sure you can draw distinctions.
Dude, putting things in bold doesn't make it more right, just more annoying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:There is a significant effort made by firms to attract URM candidates. I cannot speak to Georgetown, but this is what I have observed at Boalt.
This is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that OP would still be tremendously better off going to Harvard over either Boalt or GULC if they're all at sticker.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”