GWU PT Sticker vs. Wake $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GWU PT sticker or Wake $$ or W&L $

GWU PT (sticker)
35%
Wake ($22k/year)
54%
W&L ($5k/year)
12%

Total votes: 26

snapdragon

Silver

GWU PT Sticker vs. Wake $$

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Ok, so this is not the FINAL DECISION yet, but one that I'm considering now:

I got in to GWU PT. This was a surprise to me with my numbers. (in my not so updated profile). GWU is hugely expensive, but I love DC, and I was hoping through low-level connections down there (early 20s friends with jobs, not super high powered people) to find a 20-25 hr a week job, and start off in the PT program, maybe transferring to FT after the first year/semester. I am applying for need based aid, but lets assume that I will be paying sticker.

Today I received $22k/year (top 2/3 to keep it all, keep half as long as I remain in good standing) scholarship to Wake.

Other contenders right now include Wash & Lee (with $5k/year). (and others, but for the purpose of the poll, these three).

Things I would like from my law degree:

1. A job. Preferably in family law, government or a mid-sized firm (if such rare things exist).
2. To live and work on the east coast (NC to Maine, maybe SC, no FL).
3. The possibility of working in either DC or NY.

With those options and stipulations in mind, what are your thoughts?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: GWU PT Sticker vs. Wake $$

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

If those are the only 3 options and retaking is not an option I would take Wake assuming you're fine with living in the area. The scholly is solid and those stipulations are reasonable.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping there will be more strong contenders, but those seem the top three right now. I have a personal preference for VA / MD over NC, which is why I am still considering W&L. If anyone who voted for GWU PT wanted to share their reasoning, I'd definitely be interested in hearing it.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:25 pm

DC and WS are complete opposites. WS is more like a town than a city. GW will def cost more, even if you work during the day but at least you might be able to get a job at a firm or gov't related org where you can build your network. Both schools are strong but the reality of it is that you'll need to do the work on your own to get a job. GW gives you more opportunities than Wake in that regard.

On a side note, WS also has the worst pizza ever. I got pizza from the place that claims to have been dubbed best pizza in the region and it was really bad.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm

ran12 wrote:DC and WS are complete opposites. WS is more like a town than a city. GW will def cost more, even if you work during the day but at least you might be able to get a job at a firm or gov't related org where you can build your network. Both schools are strong but the reality of it is that you'll need to do the work on your own to get a job. GW gives you more opportunities than Wake in that regard.

On a side note, WS also has the worst pizza ever. I got pizza from the place that claims to have been dubbed best pizza in the region and it was really bad.
Ok, that's scary. I love pizza. Thin crust pizza to be precise.

I know that I'm really going to be on my own to get a job in either situation. That's sort of why GWU appealed to me, since I thought I might have an opportunity to do some relevant work. However, $34k total COA per year for three years versus I think $60k per year for four years is a pretty compelling argument. Over $100k more for GWU. Eep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm

GW if you love DC. Especially going PT, it's probably cheaper than the full time program, plus working will help you keep debt down and cover your COL.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Aaaand we're almost even. Glad it isn't as obvious an "idiot, go to Wake" situation as I thought.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 am

I voted for GWU PT because I think the school and the area will have more opportunities for you.

This isn't technically part of the poll but, if you get into UConn with $$$ (and your in-state status) I think UConn might actually win out.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 am

androstan wrote:I voted for GWU PT because I think the school and the area will have more opportunities for you.

This isn't technically part of the poll but, if you get into UConn with $$$ (and your in-state status) I think UConn might actually win out.
The crazy thing is that right now, Wake is cheaper than UConn in-state. And I'm not really sure if UConn gives much $$ to instate applicants.

Oh and doing the math last night:

Cost of attendance for three years at Wake if I keep full scholarship: $102k.
Cost of attendance for four years at GWU if I can cover the $16,500 room & board estimate by working: $160k.
Cost of attendance for three years at W&L if I keep full scholarship: $165k

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm

snapdragon wrote:
androstan wrote:I voted for GWU PT because I think the school and the area will have more opportunities for you.

The crazy thing is that right now, Wake is cheaper than UConn in-state. And I'm not really sure if UConn gives much $$ to instate applicants.

Oh and doing the math last night:

Cost of attendance for three years at Wake if I keep full scholarship: $102k.
Cost of attendance for four years at GWU if I can cover the $16,500 room & board estimate by working: $160k.
Cost of attendance for three years at W&L if I keep full scholarship: $165k
60k is worth GWU/DC imho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”