Berk v. UT ($), UF ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rbarcelo9

Silver

Re: Berk v. UT ($), UF ($)

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 pm

In at Vandy!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 pm

OHHHHH this is where I recognized your name from!! Congrats man, that's awesome about Vandy! I'm jealous, to say the least :mrgreen:

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Just got into Michigan. Does this change anything? Or should I still take Vandy at sticker over Michigan at sticker?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

So its Berk vs Mich vs Vandy vs Texas $ vs FL $... I would use the Michigan acceptance as a ploy to grab some money from Vandy. All else equal, Michigan at sticker makes more sense to me than Vandy at sticker. But for what you've said you want (FL Law, decent salary) neither makes that much sense at sticker, but vandy makes less sense at sticker than michigan, by far. So I would really try for the cash from Vandy, and if you don't get it, do Michigan. Congrats on M either way!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:06 pm

mst wrote:So its Berk vs Mich vs Vandy vs Texas $ vs FL $... I would use the Michigan acceptance as a ploy to grab some money from Vandy. All else equal, Michigan at sticker makes more sense to me than Vandy at sticker. But for what you've said you want (FL Law, decent salary) neither makes that much sense at sticker, but vandy makes less sense at sticker than michigan, by far. So I would really try for the cash from Vandy, and if you don't get it, do Michigan. Congrats on M either way!
Thanks for the advice! I don't think Vandy has offered any $ yet so hopefully I have some coming my way (I hear they are pretty generous). Pretty pumped about Michigan, and my cycle in general! It's just going to be tough making a decision!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Oh and Georgetown (Sticker) is in the mix too.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:Oh and Georgetown (Sticker) is in the mix too.
Go ahead and throw this out of the mix. Georgetown at sticker is not worth it over Michigan at any price. If georgetown comes back with serious cash then that's another story.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 pm

mst wrote:
Go ahead and throw this out of the mix. Georgetown at sticker is not worth it over Michigan at any price. If georgetown comes back with serious cash then that's another story.
Is GULC that bad? The associate at the firm that hosted GULCs Miami group interview said that GULC does very well down there. I'm sure he is biased, but looking at their OCI data they seem to draw some big SoFla firms.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I would NOT pay sticker at GULC over your other options...

Congrats on an awesome cycle btw!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
mst wrote:
Is GULC that bad? The associate at the firm that hosted GULCs Miami group interview said that GULC does very well down there. I'm sure he is biased, but looking at their OCI data they seem to draw some big SoFla firms.
They do well in Florida. But not like a few years ago. On the flipside, they might be doing better in FL than Michigan is right now, just because there seems to be more of a history with georgetown lawyers coming down here than Michigan lawyers. Heck, I worked for a former one in FL, so I know theyre there. That said, when it comes down to 2 years from now and your at OCI, you will feel MUCH MUCH more comfortable with a school like Michigan than at GULC, where if you dont get an FL spot you will literally be facing the entire class down for like... a 1/3 shot at biglaw. With Mich your probably around 50% or maybe higher. No comparison.

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:50 am

Can I use my Berkeley acceptance to try and get some money from Michigan? If that does work then I can use the money Berk help me get to help get money at Berk lol. How would I go about trying something like this? I know Berkeley has a form on the ASW for matching, but I don't see anything like that on Michigan's site.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:Can I use my Berkeley acceptance to try and get some money from Michigan? If that does work then I can use the money Berk help me get to help get money at Berk lol. How would I go about trying something like this? I know Berkeley has a form on the ASW for matching, but I don't see anything like that on Michigan's site.
Doesn't work like that. Schools are not going to give you money for an acceptance at a peer school. They will give you money in the case that you get accepted and get money at a peer school. And Berk & Mich are peer schools. But you didn't get money from either one, so you have no cards to play at this point. You're welcome to try but I can pretty much say that neither school will budge without you having a better offer on the table.

Less frequently used, and probably less effective, is the way of mentioning to a lower-ranked school that you got into an obviously better school. If a school knows you got into Harvard, they could be a lot more inclined to give you cash as there's probably no reason you would attend their school otherwise. Mentioning this really doesn't make any sense though because the schools are quite aware of where you will probably get in and will have considered Merit cash regardless. IE. Vandy already knows you were probably gonna get in somewhere better, and will already know whether it wants to offer cash to you. So just sit tight until vandy releases merit aid amounts (i'm not sure if theyve done this yet) and go from there.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 am

Apparently you have no cards at Michigan anyway. They are not even interested in looking at peer offers at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:02 am

Sitting tight. Hoping, praying, begging, pleading, wishing, and dying for Michigan to give me ANY type of money. (oh yeah Vandy too, but I'm really liking Michigan the more I read about it! Summer start is awesome!)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:02 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:Sitting tight. Hoping, praying, begging, pleading, wishing, and dying for Michigan to give me ANY type of money. (oh yeah Vandy too, but I'm really liking Michigan the more I read about it! Summer start is awesome!)
I hope you get it. I am probably turning down the 45k so I hope that gets to you?

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:Sitting tight. Hoping, praying, begging, pleading, wishing, and dying for Michigan to give me ANY type of money. (oh yeah Vandy too, but I'm really liking Michigan the more I read about it! Summer start is awesome!)
I hope you get it. I am probably turning down the 45k so I hope that gets to you?
Yeah you got tons of options r6! You still leaning to Berk. or has Penn taken over?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 pm

2011Law wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:hopefully Berk gives me some need-based aid. How easy is it to become a TX resident? I've heard its pretty easy in CA and the tuition for out of state TX is about the same for in state CA. It's just so hard for me to say no to the #7 school. So hard (no homo).
texas is not a state you can get in state residency easily. actually, i'm not sure of any state in which you can get in state tuition easily except CA

edit; oh yeah, are you from FL?

There are a few states that are super easy to get residency in for instance Georgia. Every law student at UGA has in state tuition by the second year if they want it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:03 am

In at Chicago!!!! It's going to take ALOT to get me not to go to Chicago! Since my freshman year of college i've dreamt of going to Chi.!!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am

rbarcelo9 wrote:In at Chicago!!!! It's going to take ALOT to get me not to go to Chicago! Since my freshman year of college i've dreamt of going to Chi.!!
Holy shiznit congrats dude! That's awesome :)

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks krad! It really is a dream come true! I can't believe it...

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 am

Awesome news dude! You've had a great cycle so far. Hands down chicago is the right choice here, especially if you have a thing for it. Even if you get an offer from Mich for 40k over 3 years or similar from Berk, i'd still take chi. And if it comes down to you also getting into Columbia or NYU, chicago will probably be your best choice if you love the city/school and the academic environment that school caries (which is unique). Congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rbarcelo9

Silver

Post by rbarcelo9 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm

mst wrote:Awesome news dude! You've had a great cycle so far. Hands down chicago is the right choice here, especially if you have a thing for it. Even if you get an offer from Mich for 40k over 3 years or similar from Berk, i'd still take chi. And if it comes down to you also getting into Columbia or NYU, chicago will probably be your best choice if you love the city/school and the academic environment that school caries (which is unique). Congrats!
Thanks! I know Columbia is a REALLY good school, the amount that I love the city of Chicago is probably equal to the amount that I hate NYC. So while I'd consider Columbia or NYU (If I even get into them...they are, after all, super reaches) my heart may be set on Chicago.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 am

A couple of questions for people that have posted in this thread: How decent is Berkeley's need based aid? Like if you have an EFC of zero and close to same in family assets? (being poor-ass broke)
And why do you believe that Berk's career prospects are pretty shitty right now? NLJ250 stats seem to indicate 50% of the class ended up in biglaw, granted the stats aren't the most recent. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

Has there been a precipitous drop in Berkeley employment?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 pm

clone22 wrote:Has there been a precipitous drop in Berkeley employment?
It's hard to define precipitous in this case. Like all schools, there has been a drop. Absolutely nobody on here can specifically quantify that because the numbers just aren't there, and if they are it's impossible to say how meaningful they would be because nobody knows how much of it is due to self-selection into the California market (which undeniably has gotten worse).

adude

New

Post by adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 am

I'm not sure about the florida market right now. In my personal experience, it is better to go to the lower-ranked regional school with $$ if you want to practice there. I am at a regional school and it opened up a lot of doors for me, since there are a lot of alumni in the area who are willing to help if you reach out. Still, your market may be worse off than mine is. Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”