. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan with $ v. sticker at Berkeley or NYU?

Michigan with $
51%
Berkeley (sticker)
14%
NYU (sticker)
35%

Total votes: 159

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Michigan with $ v. sticker at Berkeley or NYU?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 am

May depend upon where you want to live & work.

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 am

CanadianWolf wrote:May depend upon where you want to live & work.
I'd be willing to go anywhere in the country. I'm shooting for biglaw, but would definitely want/take a federal clerkship for a year+ first.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 am

how much money from Michigan? Are you in-state at Berkeley? And can you negotiate money out of NYU?

Between Michigan and Berkeley, I would choose the cheaper option which is likely Michigan in this case, unless you know you want Cali/SF and don't otherwise have connections to Cali/SF.

Between Michigan/NYU, I might pick NYU depending on your goals but this should depend on the money difference between the two schools. I would not pay more than 40K extra for NYU over Michigan/Boalt, but that's just my risk preference.

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Did you get in at both NYU and Berk? Your profile says otherwise. I have the same numbers in your profile +1 LSAT point and am waiting on NYU (UR since 10/22 so most likely waitlist). Just curious.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:01 pm

There is absolutely no reason to go to Boalt or NYU for sticker when you have a scholarship at Michigan unless you want to work in California or you are 100 percent certain you want to work in NYC.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:09 pm

$ contingent on grades?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Cade McNown wrote:$ contingent on grades?
I don't think any T14 requires anything other than good academic standing (i.e. don't fail out and don't cheat).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Tagged.

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm debt averse so I would follow the $$. Big Law from Mich is really doable, although NYU is better connected

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Bummer that it's only a hypothetical -- those would be some solid options. With a 3.5 I think your shot at Boalt is basically zip, and I'm not sure about NYU (I had the same LSAT but a significantly higher GPA, and you're at this year's LSAT median and below their median GPA). My love for NYU is unreserved and I'd probably recommend coming here over Mich if you're after BigLaw. Anecdotally, I know somebody from the SF region who went to NYU then returned to biglaw in the Bay Area.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

reversejinx wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Did you get in at both NYU and Berk? Your profile says otherwise. I have the same numbers in your profile +1 LSAT point and am waiting on NYU (UR since 10/22 so most likely waitlist). Just curious.
No I haven't heard from either, which probably means at this point that I'm going to be WL or dinged at both. TT's just a fun hypothetical I had bouncing around my head. I'm also trying to tease out how much, if any, of a disadvantage I'll be at trying to break into the NYC or California markets with a JD from Michigan.
Ha, well alright. I guess I'll be seeing you in michigan then.

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vicuna

Bronze

Post by vicuna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I faced an identical decision about a month ago. With a 45k offer in hand from Michigan and an acceptance to Berkeley, I had the option of withdrawing my ED application to NYU and opting for either of the former two. I ended up sticking with my commitment to NYU and was accepted about a week later. However, if I was looking at a half or full Darrow, I probably would've gone the other way (despite my Ann Arbor wariness).

That said, I have zero interest in BigLaw and preferred NYU primarily because of its PI institution support and reputation (also, I like NYC). It does seem, however, that the lower T14 have taken a larger hit in terms of BigLaw placement ITE compared with the T6 (ostensibly due to geographical disadvantages). Also, though I love Berkeley and its philosophy, I question the utility of the alternate grading system for those shooting for BigLaw.

reversejinx

Bronze

Post by reversejinx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 pm

vicuna wrote: However, if I was looking at a half or full Darrow, I probably would've gone the other way (despite my Ann Arbor wariness).

That said, I have zero interest in BigLaw and preferred NYU primarily because of its PI institution support and reputation (also, I like NYC). It does seem, however, that the lower T14 have taken a larger hit in terms of BigLaw placement ITE compared with the T6 (ostensibly due to geographical disadvantages). Also, though I love Berkeley and its philosophy, I question the utility of the alternate grading system for those shooting for BigLaw.
All good points, thanks.

IncorrectReversal

New

Post by IncorrectReversal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey I am very interested in what everyone has to say.

I have been accepted to NYU and Michigan with 45k. I want to do nyc biglaw, but not sure if I really like the idea of going to school in nyc (lack of a campus, social community, etc...).

I am wondering how big of a difference for getting a biglaw job in nyc going to NYU would make. Obviously it would help, but is it actually much tougher at Michigan?

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 am

NYU is leaps and bounds superior to Michigan at placing students at big firms in NYC.

I'm not sure 45k would be enough to sway in favor of Michigan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 am

A&O wrote:NYU is leaps and bounds superior to Michigan at placing students at big firms in NYC.

What about 54k?

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 am

GMVarun wrote:how much money from Michigan? Are you in-state at Berkeley? And can you negotiate money out of NYU?

Between Michigan and Berkeley, I would choose the cheaper option which is likely Michigan in this case, unless you know you want Cali/SF and don't otherwise have connections to Cali/SF.

Between Michigan/NYU, I might pick NYU depending on your goals but this should depend on the money difference between the two schools. I would not pay more than 40K extra for NYU over Michigan/Boalt, but that's just my risk preference.
I agree with this guy. Also, between NYU and Michigan, NYU probably only has an edge on michigan in NYC. Anywhere else, its probably more of a wash. But either way, choose whichever school you feel more comfortable at.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
A&O wrote:NYU is leaps and bounds superior to Michigan at placing students at big firms in NYC.

What about 54k?
There's not some magical answer to this. Michigan knows its a bit behind NYU and that's why they offer just about the right amount of money to make it basically the same in terms of value... Keep in mind that with 54k, you also have about 10k less in living each year to think about. Personally I don't think this tips the scale too far in Michigan's favor, I think it more or less equalizes it when you consider all the added benefits of being in NYC in terms of professional opportunities/connections.

To be honest, with around 50k from Michigan (15ish a year) I would still pick NYU but that's only because I would much rather spend my next 3 years in NYC. If you have a preference towards Ann Arbor types of towns, obviously Michigan becomes a great option. But 45k by no means makes Michigan the better choice regardless... it just comes down to living preferences at that point. And how much weight you put on "big-law" opportunities.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

FTFY.

NYU is definitely better, but "leaps and bounds" is some pretty ridiculous hyperbole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”