3.37 / 168 - Where would you go? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2011Law

Silver

3.37 / 168 - Where would you go?

Post by 2011Law » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm

With a 3.37 and a 168, it looks like I'll get into my main targets (WUSTL, GW, BU), but probably with $5000 or less. Would you choose that over Davis / W&M / BC with lots of money? Do you think I'd be offered a decent scholly at those places? I'm definitely leaning toward going to the main target that will cost the least, which would probably be WUSTL. Also, do you think Illinois or Dame would offer me a decent scholly?

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3.37 / 168 - Where would you go?

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

I'd decide on where you want to work specifically more than anything else.

As a pure financial decision I would say whichever one ends up being cheapest considering the differences aren't too great at this level. Also as a pure financial decision I would say retake if possible.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm

vandy. This is kinda a question about moral hazard.
If you dont get in. retake and apply again.

The way I see it is that if you go to a lower school like BC BU Fordham, you will still need to take out a decent amount of loans. The only way you can pay it back is to have a good job. So why not take a little more in loans and go to vandy at sticker.

The new federal program really limits how much in loans you have to pay back as a percentage of your salary.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:08 pm

bk187 wrote:I'd decide on where you want to work specifically more than anything else.

As a pure financial decision I would say whichever one ends up being cheapest considering the differences aren't too great at this level. Also as a pure financial decision I would say retake if possible.
Location isn't the most important thing to me.
You really think the prospects aren't much different between the schools listed?
I already did the last 30 PTs and did 1 point better than my average on the last 10 PTs. No way I'm gonna retake.

thexfactor wrote:vandy. This is kinda a question about moral hazard.
If you dont get in. retake and apply again.

The way I see it is that if you go to a lower school like BC BU Fordham, you will still need to take out a decent amount of loans. The only way you can pay it back is to have a good job. So why not take a little more in loans and go to vandy at sticker.

The new federal program really limits how much in loans you have to pay back as a percentage of your salary.
I didn't think I had a real shot at Vandy, though its one of my reaches. If I got in though I'd probably attend unless I got an amazing offer at my main targets.

EDIT: missed the "If you don't get in retake and apply again." as said above, I'm sticking with the score I have.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 pm

The two main questions are where do you wanna work and what do you wanna do?

If you want biglaw you have to go to the best school you can at sticker. BU would be a good choice for you IMO.

If you want anything else I would go to a T2 with a fullride. Pitt, Florida, Arizona, Temple, Villanova, etc. are all good choices. A friend of mine with similar numbers recieved full ride + 10K a year stipend and NO stipulations at SLU. SLU is by no means a great school but if you liked St.Louis coming out with literally ZERO debt is something you should always consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:24 pm

If you like the midwest, your scores make you competitive for a lot of solid schools and in your shoes those would be the ones I chose between. WUSTL, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc all give you a fighting chance at some sort of gainful employment and would throw you a little bit of cash. If you want east coast, I would be looking at BU, Fordham, GW, and maybe Georgia or Emory for the south and UF for Florida. West coast probably Davis or Hastings or UA/ASU, and Washington for the southwest and northwest respectively.

You won't get into Vandy, I would save the app fee.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:14 pm

I think you'd get decent scholarship money to WUSTl/UIUC/UMN (more than 5k). You're not getting a boatload of cash, but it'll be more than you think. I would only go to one of these if you want to work in the Midwest though, because although all three can get you out of the Midwest, it is certainly not easy.

And thexfactor, OP is almost certainly out at Vandy.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:58 pm

2011Law wrote:With a 3.37 and a 168, it looks like I'll get into my main targets (WUSTL, GW, BU), but probably with $5000 or less. Would you choose that over Davis / W&M / BC with lots of money? Do you think I'd be offered a decent scholly at those places? I'm definitely leaning toward going to the main target that will cost the least, which would probably be WUSTL. Also, do you think Illinois or Dame would offer me a decent scholly?
I would not choose WUSTL, GW or BU over Davis W&M or BC if the latter three where cheaper unless I had some inexplicable desire to live in St. Louis. (Though for some reason I think BU would just be a better experience than BC)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

I think W&M looks like a great school, especially if you can get some $

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”