Northwestern (sticker) vs. Lewis & Clark PT (70% ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Northwestern (sticker) or L&C (70% ride, PT)

Ranking is everything! (Northwestern, sticker)
83%
Debt is bad! (Lewis & Clark PT, w/ 70% ride)
17%

Total votes: 65

rinkrat19

Diamond

Northwestern (sticker) vs. Lewis & Clark PT (70% ride)

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 am

Here's the deal: I thought I was set on attending Lewis & Clark with a hefty scholarship, part time, and keeping my full-time job. (I live near Portland, obviously.) L&C offered me $20K/year, for the 4-year part-time program. Then I got accepted to Northwestern and the school and the city of Chicago really started to sound pretty awesome to me.

I'm going to request a 1-year deferral from NU, because there's just no way I'd be ready to move to Chicago in August. I work in a very small department (usually 7 people, 6 right now), already shorthanded and operating under an interim director. Telling them in April that I'm quitting in August would be a problem. It's not even clear whether the interim director has hiring power to replace me. I'd also become vested in my retirement plan if I stayed another year, so I wouldn't have to forfeit what is a pretty significant asset for me. My boss is willing to write a letter supporting my request for a deferral.

Anyway, assuming for the moment that NU thinks my request is reasonable and grants the deferral, am I crazy to think that sticker at NU would be worth it? I doubt I'll get much, if any, aid beyond loans from NU (although I will, of course, apply.)

- I'd be fine working in the PNW, but I also am not sure that's the ONLY place I ever want to work, and I'm afraid of limiting my region so much.
- I would like to attend full-time, so I can do the 'extra' stuff like clinics, clerkships, summer work (besides just my regular job), etc, which would also look better on a resume, right?
- Since the PT program at L&C is 4 years, and I'd be starting NU in 2012, either way I'd graduate in 2015.
- I've never moved away from the PNW and even if I come back, I think it'd be good for me to try a new city for a while.
- I have a mortgage on a condo that if I sold right now, I'd lose money. So it has to be rented out. My dad does live nearby to do landlord-type stuff, if needed.
- Debt: $200K vs. $15K or so.

jonas

Bronze

Re: Northwestern (sticker) vs. Lewis & Clark PT (70% ride)

Post by jonas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:42 am

What are you hoping to do with your JD?

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 am

In the economy, keeping your job (remember, those are the things that everybody wants) and getting a legal education with no real risks is quite a steal. It does depend largely on what you want to do, how comfortable you are with your job, as well as other factors.

I voted for Lewis and Clark, assuming you have good ties to the region.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 am

jonas wrote:What are you hoping to do with your law degree?
At first I was looking at Environmental Law, since my UG degree is Environmental Engineering. But then I decided I really just don't know enough to have much of an opinion yet. I wouldn't mind working for the government in some capacity, since I have spent much of my adult life working in the public sector for two different city governments (and enjoyed it), but in what capacity, I do not know. That's one reason why I think NU might be a better choice--I'd get to work summers, do clinics, etc, to try some things out to see if I like them. I wouldn't just graduate with a JD and no practical experience.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:59 am

It really depends on what you want to do in life. But I voted for Northwestern... you only go to law school once and Northwestern will open up so many more doors than Lewis & Clark. It could make a huge impact on the rest of your life, depending on what you want to do.

Let's be frank... what exactly are the potential jobs for a graduate of Lewis & Clark's PT program? In my view you'd better already have a law job lined up before even entering a program like that, because I'm not convinced that it will help you find one.

Northwestern, on the other hand, is an amazing school with excellent prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

digitalme

New

Post by digitalme » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am

I'm in the same boat and also very confused. I've been accepted to Michigan, Northwestern, UCLA and UT. Of course that's exciting and all, but the thought of $150K debt almost kills it. Especially since I've never wanted to work at a big firm, but hope to work for an international organization. So then L&C offers me $25/yr. and Portland seems like this fairyland of happy people. Northwestern is certainly a better education, but at that expense I seriously wonder what I'll have to compromise to pay them for it. I'd love to hear what you decide and why. I'm actually surprised at how many votes NU got.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 am

The only school in the northwest worth attending at a hefty scholarship over a T14 at sticker is Washington.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 am

There is no right answer nor is there a wrong choice in your situation. Hope that helps. Good luck !

P.S. I didn't vote because the poll doesn't permit one to vote for both options.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:51 am

To those who were curious...my request for a 1-year deferral at Northwestern was granted, and I've put my first seat deposit down.

No sooner had I done that than L&C released their evening class schedule for fall 2011. All classes (which used to start at 6pm) now will be starting at 5pm. I work ~45 minutes away from L&C and short of someone inventing a teleportation device and a time machine, there's no way I could get there for 5pm classes. L&C effectively removed itself from consideration, reinforcing my choice of Northwestern.

Of course, now I'm RILLY RILLY excited about NU, and I have to wait 18 months before I head to Chicago. :P But that year and a half will be very useful (if boring).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:To those who were curious...my request for a 1-year deferral at Northwestern was granted, and I've put my first seat deposit down.

No sooner had I done that than L&C released their evening class schedule for fall 2011. All classes (which used to start at 6pm) now will be starting at 5pm. I work ~45 minutes away from L&C and short of someone inventing a teleportation device and a time machine, there's no way I could get there for 5pm classes. L&C effectively removed itself from consideration, reinforcing my choice of Northwestern.

Of course, now I'm RILLY RILLY excited about NU, and I have to wait 18 months before I head to Chicago. :P But that year and a half will be very useful (if boring).
Congratulations. I think you definitely made the right choice. Save some money and enjoy the beautiful northwest before you move! I didn't appreciate the region's beauty enough before I left and now I live in Pittsburgh. :(

That's not to say I don't love Pittsburgh, but aesthetically, it's got nothing on Seattle or Portland.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:There is no right answer nor is there a wrong choice in your situation.
Yes there is. Northwestern is the right answer, and it's not even close. Even if they don't let you defer, you should make it work.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Thank you for correcting my opinion. It was foolish of me to consider the OP's situation before responding.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It really depends on what you want to do in life. But I voted for Northwestern... you only go to law school once and Northwestern will open up so many more doors than Lewis & Clark. It could make a huge impact on the rest of your life, depending on what you want to do.

Let's be frank... what exactly are the potential jobs for a graduate of Lewis & Clark's PT program? In my view you'd better already have a law job lined up before even entering a program like that, because I'm not convinced that it will help you find one.

Northwestern, on the other hand, is an amazing school with excellent prospects.
I agree. I think this question is Northwestern vs. not going to LS rather than NU vs. L&C. I've heard terrible things about L&C's employment prospects and median salary numbers. If you really want a career in law then go NU. If this is just a flavor of the month type of idea, then bail completely and save yourself some money.

Edit: totally missed OPs post about his decision to attend NU. Congrats. I think you made the right decision. I'm sure a great career in the field is ahead for you. Good luck with everything.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

The fact that you are even asking this question just demonstrates that you don't deserve to go to Northwestern.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”