UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ksimon2007

Silver

UVA

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

I am going to make my decision on a law school sometime in March. I currently am weighing the cost, both figuratively and literally, of attending UVA. UVA is the highest ranked of the schools I have been admitted to and offers me the best chance at working for a biglaw firm in D.C. or Northern Virginia. However, I am worried about the debt load.

I will have about 40k leaving undergrad and received no scholarship from UVA. I understand that negotiating is a potential option at some point, but I doubt that I will receive much help even after that. I will, on the other hand, qualify for some need based aid.

My question is whether I would be better off heading to UVA and leaving with potentially 150k more or less in debt or take a scholarship at a school like Vandy or W&L. Thanks in advance for any substantive insight.

bk1

Diamond

Re: UVA

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 pm

What kind of scholarship at Vandy? What kind of scholarship at W&L?

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

W&L sends out initial scholarship offers for the first time friday.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 pm

bk187 wrote:What kind of scholarship at Vandy? What kind of scholarship at W&L?
I have yet to receive any information either way. W&L will be mailing scholarship info Friday. I suspect either way I will be getting more money. What is your value judgment in this instance? Do you think only half scholly or more from either is worth passing up UVA?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:48 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
I have yet to receive any information either way. W&L will be mailing scholarship info Friday. I suspect either way I will be getting more money. What is your value judgment in this instance? Do you think only half scholly or more from either is worth passing up UVA?
From Vandy I'd consider it, W&L probably not.

It's really hard to say without knowing how much debt you will actually be taking on.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

bk187 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
From Vandy I'd consider it, W&L probably not.

It's really hard to say without knowing how much debt you will actually be taking on.
Makes sense. I will sit down with a financial adviser at some point once the info is in. I am hoping that I will be able to attend UVA, but only time will tell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”