GT PT v. Cornell v. SMU ($$$?) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GT PT v. Cornell v. SMU

GT PT
16%
Cornell
65%
SMU
19%

Total votes: 43

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

GT PT v. Cornell v. SMU ($$$?)

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 pm

this is for a buddy of mine. here's the skinny:

~3.5, Georgetown SFS UG Fin/Econ
170 LSAT

he's a texas native (dallas). he's been working since graduation in 07 at a big bank that's made some new friends recently. i'm assuming he's going to get money from SMU (if anyone has any idea how much he'll prob get, feel free to weigh in.)
Now, this is a kid who may or may not even practice with his JD--he may go into politics, go into business for himself, who knows, but he wants to go to law school. he is one of the absolute brightest people i've ever encountered, and i think he'll do well wherever he goes. he is very fond of texas and may very well end up going back there in the not too distant future to make his way, but i doubt he'd want to 'close doors'. $$$$ is not really an issue--family will pay for LS and he's got some of his own as well.

Have at it.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: GT PT v. Cornell v. SMU ($$$?)

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:53 pm

bump. cmonnnnn.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm

No opinion on Cornell?

Special kind of hell, ain't it ;)

mikey101

New

Post by mikey101 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 pm

I'd say if $$ is not an issue than Cornell. However, if he truly wants to have a shot at politics and is certain that he wants to move back to TX, than SMU isn't a bad option as it will show dedication to the region. If $$ was even a small issue and he was relatively certain of his career goals than SMU assuming a sizable enough scholly.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

mikey101 wrote:I'd say if $$ is not an issue than Cornell. However, if he truly wants to have a shot at politics and is certain that he wants to move back to TX, than SMU isn't a bad option as it will show dedication to the region. If $$ was even a small issue and he was relatively certain of his career goals than SMU assuming a sizable enough scholly.
not even a small issue. and i really think he has no definitive idea what his career goals are long-term beyond going to LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm

Bumpskis.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:26 pm

What about not going? Should be option 4.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Snape wrote:What about not going? Should be option 4.
Meh, it's probably still an option for him, but, idk, this isn't going to cost him a dime. He's going--although now he might be hooked up with someone that's going to run next senate cycle, and so if that becomes more concrete it might change his mind, or at least his timetable. Think he'll still end up going though.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

are you sure this friend isnt named let/them/eat/cake? :)

edit: didnt see your post #

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Law Sauce wrote:are you sure this friend isnt named let/them/eat/cake? :)

edit: didnt see your post #
it's ok, we all get lost in the TLS Sauce sometimes

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:this is for a buddy of mine. here's the skinny:

~3.5, Georgetown SFS UG Fin/Econ
170 LSAT

he's a texas native (dallas). he's been working since graduation in 07 at a big bank that's made some new friends recently. i'm assuming he's going to get money from SMU (if anyone has any idea how much he'll prob get, feel free to weigh in.)
Now, this is a kid who may or may not even practice with his JD--he may go into politics, go into business for himself, who knows, but he wants to go to law school. he is one of the absolute brightest people i've ever encountered, and i think he'll do well wherever he goes. he is very fond of texas and may very well end up going back there in the not too distant future to make his way, but i doubt he'd want to 'close doors'. $$$$ is not really an issue--family will pay for LS and he's got some of his own as well.

Have at it.
You cant do finance in SFS. There are also no minors in SFS, so he couldnt have done something joint with the business school.

But I'll play. Cornell if these are his only options. No UT?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 am

Since money doesn't matter, I guess whichever would further his possibility for political office. That being said I have no idea which that would be.

Unless SMU would help political office more than the others or he would feel guilty about his family paying for LS (or doesn't want to use his own money), I'd say SMU can be crossed off.

He didn't get any of MVP? Not sure if they would help more for political office than the others.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:15 am

Why not university of texas? He is a texas native, and UT is a serious beast in texas. Many texas politicians have also attended UT. I think that is def the best choice for him seeing as he is from texas and wants to be involved in that area. UT opens up alot of doors in texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:56 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Why not university of texas? He is a texas native, and UT is a serious beast in texas. Many texas politicians have also attended UT. I think that is def the best choice for him seeing as he is from texas and wants to be involved in that area. UT opens up alot of doors in texas.
To the person who remarked that the SFS doesn't have whatever i said he majored in: maybe i have it wrong. I know he did econ and something else. He has an arabic minor. and another major. guess it's not finance, but in any case, that's what he does now.

To the quoted post: he got dinged outright, and quickly, by Texas, two years in a row, even when applying basically day 1 of this cycle.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Why not university of texas? He is a texas native, and UT is a serious beast in texas. Many texas politicians have also attended UT. I think that is def the best choice for him seeing as he is from texas and wants to be involved in that area. UT opens up alot of doors in texas.
To the person who remarked that the SFS doesn't have whatever i said he majored in: maybe i have it wrong. I know he did econ and something else. He has an arabic minor. and another major. guess it's not finance, but in any case, that's what he does now.

To the quoted post: he got dinged outright, and quickly, by Texas, two years in a row, even when applying basically day 1 of this cycle.
Wow with 3.5/170, thats surprising :(

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:10 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:

Wow with 3.5/170, thats surprising :(
He might have had a 3.4x or something like that, but not too far off what i said. and yeah, it is. really surprising actually.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 pm

My god, Cornell winning a poll :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 am

UT has a 3.5 floor, I believe.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 am

Since $$ is no worry, any thoughts of him EDing anywhere? I know UVa's ED is still available, and it would be better than all his current options now.

williemayshayes

New

Post by williemayshayes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:59 am

Senator Cornyn went to UVa Law...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 pm

AreJay711 wrote:My god, Cornell winning a poll :shock:
I'm both shocked AND appalled.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:04 pm

If his goal is working in government, I personally feel that TLS may be underestimating the benefit of residing in D.C. while (hopefully) working some type of job that furthers that aim.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm

ArchRoark wrote:If his goal is working in government, I personally feel that TLS may be underestimating the benefit of residing in D.C. while (hopefully) working some type of job that furthers that aim.
I actually agree with this. I'm working on a pitch to him that stresses the advantages of being in DC over the isolation of Ithaca lol PT does suck though, and also completely eliminates transferring as an option (I say this bc i truly think this kid will be able to just kill LS, but obviously such considerations shouldn't really weigh in much...).

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Why not UT?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 pm

i'm kinda confused as to how they didn't GT full time. I think the part-time thing could be good though because it could allow some kind of internship/job that pertains to what he wants to do. If these were his only 3 options then I am terrified for my cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”