Law library quality - A significant factor? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

Gold

Law library quality - A significant factor?

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

This question is probably best answered by graduates/attorneys, but anyone with any relevant experience or knowledge should chime in. Is the extent of a particular law school's law library collection particularly relevant? Is it a significant advantage to be at a LS with more titles, more volumes, etc.?

One of the reasons I ask is because I'm leaning hard toward GW and I noticed that GW has that most titles in its law library. More than Yale, Harvard, UTx, GULC, etc. I was wondering if that might actually be a benefit for me.

GW doesn't, by any stretch, have the most volumes. Which suggests it tends to have fewer copies of a particular title than other places. That could be bad, it could be hard to get what you need.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

androstan wrote:This question is probably best answered by graduates/attorneys, but anyone with any relevant experience or knowledge should chime in. Is the extent of a particular law school's law library collection particularly relevant? Is it a significant advantage to be at a LS with more titles, more volumes, etc.?

One of the reasons I ask is because I'm leaning hard toward GW and I noticed that GW has that most titles in its law library. More than Yale, Harvard, UTx, GULC, etc. I was wondering if that might actually be a benefit for me.

GW doesn't, by any stretch, have the most volumes. Which suggests it tends to have fewer copies of a particular title than other places. That could be bad, it could be hard to get what you need.
You won't care when you are there. It doesn't matter one tiny bit who has the most titles.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

bk187 wrote:Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?
That's a new question. A question which I answer with "it's not as significant as placement power". However, I may get accepted to BU also, and I think the placement power is similar. It would also just be nice to know if there were some boon to going to GW since I can't get into GULC anyway.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

androstan wrote:
bk187 wrote:Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?
That's a new question. A question which I answer with "it's not as significant as placement power". However, I may get accepted to BU also, and I think the placement power is similar. It would also just be nice to know if there were some boon to going to GW since I can't get into GULC anyway.
Again, even if it is relevant, it is behind a huge host of factors that I couldn't see it realistically coming in to play because the other things are never equal:

Placement Power, Cost, Location, Atmosphere, etc.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Law libraries? Worthless. Have no idea why it is included in ranking calculations. Everyone uses Westlaw if needed.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

The amount of seats in the library can play a big factor.

:D

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Post by LurkerNoMore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Not relevant in the slightest. Books are highly over-rated in legal research. Cases and statutes are primary sources, and most of the academic banter goes on in journals. Books are good for background research, theory pieces, and figuring out how a certain area of the law works (treatises -- but a lot of the most recent versions of these are being published online through Westlaw and Lexis).

Also, pretty much every law library uses some sort of interlibrary loan system, which means you can get books that your library doesn't have in a couple of days.

Cooley's seat count makes more sense than a title or volume count. But even then, only if you actually like studying in libraries.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”