Wayne State versus Michigan State? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
neyaae

New

Wayne State versus Michigan State?

Post by neyaae » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 am

How do they compare to each other?

Rocketman11

Silver

Re: Wayne State versus Michigan State?

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm

They are about equal actually. Wayne has a bigger alumni base in the state of Michigan, which could really help you given the lack of lay prestige both schools have in the legal community. On the other hand, MSU I believe is a marginally better school and they give much more $$ to students than Wayne. Also, MSU as a school is nationally known due to its athletics program. The problem with that is, people who care about law still know its a T3 school. People who are ignorant of US News Rankings might think you're smart, but they wont be signing a paycheck anytime soon.

I'd go with whichever gives you more money honestly.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

it s like asking do you want to lose an arm or a leg.
Id choose wayne because it is cheaper. Also wayne is in a "real city"
of the handful of biglaw/midlaw shops that still remain in Michshitgan most of these firms will not recruit at wayne or msu anymore.
retake...
btw have you read the law school NYT article?

nadiab420

New

Post by nadiab420 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Delete
Last edited by nadiab420 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm

nadiab420 wrote:I live in the area so I know kids who have went to both. Obviously both schools will leave you with Michigan employment prospects, but as someone pointed out Wayne has a bigger alumni base and will thus leave you with better job opportunities in the Detroit metro area (assuming that is where you'd want to practice). It's smart to take the school that offers the most money, and I have heard that Michigan State is on the rise, but I personally know two c/o 2009 grads from Wayne that both got 100k+ jobs lined up right after graduation. Granted they were both top 20% of their class, but that's a given coming out of a T3.
Not to be mean but they did OCI in 07. Detroit firms were somewhat hiring then. This is a totally different market. I looked at Miller Canfield's firm profile. They did not take a single person lower than michshitgan law. 5 summer interns. 1 from harvard 1 from nyu 3 from michshitgan

why would they go to wayne or msu if they can get someone from michshitgan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”