West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Ikki wrote: Mexican food made in the U.S., even the one made by Mexicans, has blown about 90% of the time I've tried it. American cheese on enchiladas? GTFO
I'm gonna miss getting tortas in TJ 15 minutes away from home :(
While there is some truth to this, some Chinese places that only cater to Chinese are fairly authentic. So I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. You can go to many Chinese supermarkets and get the same exact ingredients that we use in China, so it's not too hard to be mostly authentic.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm

jeremysen wrote:
Ikki wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote:
San Diego thankfully :P. And lol at Mexican food in the U.S.
We actually have a really nice one around here, no one speaks English, and the menu is not even in English. I just like their soups and I point at it when I go in to order.
Mexican food made in the U.S., even the one made by Mexicans, has blown about 90% of the time I've tried it. American cheese on enchiladas? GTFO
Whatever you ate in Mexico ain't cheese :)
This shit is just blasphemy:

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote: Mexican food made in the U.S., even the one made by Mexicans, has blown about 90% of the time I've tried it. American cheese on enchiladas? GTFO
While there is some truth to this, some Chinese places that only cater to Chinese are fairly authentic. So I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. You can go to many Chinese supermarkets and get the same exact ingredients that we use in China, so it's not too hard to be mostly authentic.
Definitely true, but there are very few, if any restaurants in SD that cater to Mexicans. I'm guessing the logic behind that is that if they really want Mexican food, either you they can it at home or across the border.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Ikki wrote: Definitely true, but there are very few, if any restaurants in SD that cater to Mexicans. I'm guessing the logic behind that is that if they really want Mexican food, either you they can it at home or across the border.
Makes sense. I think that's probably why I had better Mexican up here, because there is no place to go get it, so they need a non-Americanized place. Actually it's pretty decent around Philly, you can get pretty much all kinds of ethnic food that are fairly authentic because there are pockets of immigrants all over.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote: Definitely true, but there are very few, if any restaurants in SD that cater to Mexicans. I'm guessing the logic behind that is that if they really want Mexican food, either you they can it at home or across the border.
Makes sense. I think that's probably why I had better Mexican up here, because there is no place to go get it, so they need a non-Americanized place. Actually it's pretty decent around Philly, you can get pretty much all kinds of ethnic food that are fairly authentic because there are pockets of immigrants all over.
Hadn't thought about it that way. Now the question is, will I be able to find that in the middle of upstate NY? :s

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Ikki wrote: Hadn't thought about it that way. Now the question is, will I be able to find that in the middle of upstate NY? :s
You should be able to, may be hard to find though, ask around. There are pockets of Mexican population in NE PA, there has to be some in NY. I know there are a lot of undocumented workers in the rural parts, it's actually a huge reason for racial tension.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Ikki wrote:
jeremysen wrote:Whatever you ate in Mexico ain't cheese :)
This shit is just blasphemy:
lol

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm in at Georgetown, from southern CA. Also in at UT, waiting on UCLA and a bunch of other east coast schools. Beginning of my cycle I was pretty set on the East Coast, but I am wavering right now (its sunny and nice outside here and I went to the beach on Saturday.)

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

The topic of Mexican food is making me hawngry.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know what the Mexican food is like in Austin?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 am

Last edited by plurilingue on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:21 pm

plurilingue wrote:From San Francisco and could be convinced to go to the Northeast with the right admissions offer and/or funding. But either way, I know I'm coming back right after law school. Does anyone ever willingly leave California? =]
I did, and I have a sad face.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 pm

I like how quickly this got turned into a comparative study on Mexican cuisine in the US

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Does anyone know what ASWs you're attending yet? Please share if you find any flight deals!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onepass

Bronze

Post by onepass » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 pm

From the Pacific Northwest and planning on Georgetown. Can't wait to trade in the rain for some snow!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 pm

onepass wrote:From the Pacific Northwest and planning on Georgetown. Can't wait to trade in the rain for some snow!
At least you're used to the cold already kind of.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 pm

plurilingue wrote:From San Francisco and could be convinced to go to the Northeast with the right admissions offer and/or funding. But either way, I know I'm coming back right after law school. Does anyone ever willingly leave California? =]
I'm leaving for hopefully 10+ years. Kinda of sick of California tbh, lived here my whole life. Although experiencing the east coast weather firsthand might have me changing mind pretty quickly :lol: .

Looking forward to cheese steaks in Philly on the topic of food. Probably going to miss sushi the most of all.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 pm

East Coast is a possibility for me, from So Cal. I've traveled widely (in the country and around the world) but never lived anywhere but So Cal. To me, snow is something you always have to "go to" and cold is anything below 65. Ok, well, I can handle 65. Unbearble is anything below 55. I own 14 jackets of different weights, styles, etc. And I still get cold here in So Cal! So, yeah, I'm pretty scared about the thought. ALso not sure if I should go east if there is very little chance I will stay there. 3 years of cold weather is different than permanenly living in it, and my husband is pretty much against that...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:55 pm

So it's gonna snow in SF this weekend

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 pm

I wasn't planning on leaving the West, but now I'm seriously considering UMich. It's a long ways from Austin or Los Angeles, but I'm from Idaho so I can handle cold.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”