Better school for more $$ or full ride? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TracyLynn

Bronze

Re: Better school for more $$ or full ride?

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Also just to let everyone know, I contacted admissions at St. John's re the scholarship stipulations. According to them, approximately 50% of the class comes in with some sort of merit scholarship (for some reason I thought this figure would be higher). She also said that since these are the most promising candidates, they expect that this 50% will be the top 50% of the class (not necessarily). Thus, under their new stipulation (top 40% to keep all and you can keep half in the top 55%) they expect approximately 10% of the class to lose some of their scholarship.

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 pm

bump

trickydicky

New

Post by trickydicky » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 am

Going to St. Johns is a huge gamble.

If you are extremely confident that you can retain the scholarship, it might be worth it. But keep in mind that you are limiting your future earning potential dramatically going to St. Johns. Unless you are in the top 10 students at the school, you are going to wait in line for jobs behind Columbia, NYU, Fordham, etc etc and everyone else that wants to come into the New York market.

Same thing goes for Illinois if you don't rock it there.

Problem with Illinois is that you wait in line for Chicago and NW.

Make your decision with all the information. Good Luck

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 am

Hey all-- wanted to bump this after a scholarship offer from Ohio State, 12k/year (2.5 stip). I signed up to visit and am very excited. I also sent an e-mail to see if they would increase the offer due to 15k/Illinois and 20k/Washington and Lee.

I really love OSU. From the beginning it was a school I was excited about. I realize that 12k isn't lot, making OOS tuition for the first year around 28,000. I have also heard that approx 80% of OOS students become re-classified as Ohio residents, and I would definitely try to do that.

Would you take W+L's better offer over OSU? St. John's full ride? Illinois is looking less likely due to the cost and the difficulties of Illinois residency. Thanks for the advice!

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

OSU offered me a non-resident grant since I'm not able to be re-classified as a resident for the first year. $4k the first year, 2k for the 2nd and 3rd. Brings tuition to the first year is approx 23,000 and for the 2nd and 3rd (assuming residency) approx 10,000. I spoke to the dean who confirmed that 80-90% of the non-residents become re-classified.

Please help! W+L 20k/year. Illinois 15k/ year. St. John's full ride, OSU. What would you choose and why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Can you cover cost of living at St. Johns, or would you be borrowing for that?

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:41 pm

In a similar situation, only I got a huge amt of $$ at loyola, but would have to be in the top 30% of the class which I think is a huge gamble, also got 11k per year at OSU given I maintain a 2.5 or better (no idea what the curve is). But I am favoring W&L and am sure I will attend unless I get accepted to ND with a similar scholarship (very unlikely).

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Can you cover cost of living at St. Johns, or would you be borrowing for that?
I would be borrowing for the COL at St. John's...which is definitely expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:14 pm

do you want to live in ohio or virginia when you are done with law school (or I guess illinois is up there too)?

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 pm

amers73 wrote:In a similar situation, only I got a huge amt of $$ at loyola, but would have to be in the top 30% of the class which I think is a huge gamble, also got 11k per year at OSU given I maintain a 2.5 or better (no idea what the curve is). But I am favoring W&L and am sure I will attend unless I get accepted to ND with a similar scholarship (very unlikely).
I'm waiting on ND as well! Complete 11/17...assuming a WL or rejection at this point. Still hold out a little hope though. Top 40% at St. John's is a little daunting, but my main beef with the school is the overcrowded NY market. Lots of JDs but not a lot of jobs. It's discouraging to have wait behind every Columbia/NYU/t-14/Cardozo/Brooklyn, etc. JD. I feel like OSU and W+L have better reputations and prospects in their areas.

FYI- I talked to the dean for financial aid at OSU who said that approx 80-85% of the class achieves a 2.5 or better. Hope that helps.

I will be visiting both schools soon, so I'm assuming that will help. Here's the question that nags me though-- am I an idiot to choose OSU or W+L over a full ride at St. John's? Should I take the free JD and run? I realize that the free part is reliant on me staying in the top 40% and loans for COL, but still...is this economy (with undergrad loans as well)..am I fool to turn down a full ride?

Thanks everyone!

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

FlanAl wrote:do you want to live in ohio or virginia when you are done with law school (or I guess illinois is up there too)?
I'm really open to either. Illinois is a great school, but at this point, a little too expensive, especially in light of my offer at OSU. Personally, I do prefer a city to the country..which probably means Lexington isn't for me. I'm visiting soon, so I'll know for sure after that. Definitely something to consider though..

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm guessing you got the email from W&L about employment stats? doesn't look to horrible but does look pretty virginia heavy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 pm

FlanAl wrote:I'm guessing you got the email from W&L about employment stats? doesn't look to horrible but does look pretty virginia heavy
Yes I received it and the information in the mail as well, found it be very refreshing and transparent. I agree with you about Virginia.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Similar boat here. So far my options are:
1) Full tuition to St. John's. My stipulation is just "good academic standing" though and I may have just secured free housing/food
2) Maryland (no scholly info yet)
3) GW at sticker. This is not really an option though, lol

Tagged

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 pm

TracyLynn wrote:
amers73 wrote:In a similar situation, only I got a huge amt of $$ at loyola, but would have to be in the top 30% of the class which I think is a huge gamble, also got 11k per year at OSU given I maintain a 2.5 or better (no idea what the curve is). But I am favoring W&L and am sure I will attend unless I get accepted to ND with a similar scholarship (very unlikely).
I'm waiting on ND as well! Complete 11/17...assuming a WL or rejection at this point. Still hold out a little hope though. Top 40% at St. John's is a little daunting, but my main beef with the school is the overcrowded NY market. Lots of JDs but not a lot of jobs. It's discouraging to have wait behind every Columbia/NYU/t-14/Cardozo/Brooklyn, etc. JD. I feel like OSU and W+L have better reputations and prospects in their areas.

FYI- I talked to the dean for financial aid at OSU who said that approx 80-85% of the class achieves a 2.5 or better. Hope that helps.

I will be visiting both schools soon, so I'm assuming that will help. Here's the question that nags me though-- am I an idiot to choose OSU or W+L over a full ride at St. John's? Should I take the free JD and run? I realize that the free part is reliant on me staying in the top 40% and loans for COL, but still...is this economy (with undergrad loans as well)..am I fool to turn down a full ride?

Thanks everyone!
I'd love to hear more opinions! This question is still nagging me..

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 pm

So I visited W+L this past weekend and it was great. Nice area, small, supportive school. I really liked it.

To sum up my situation, I'm 40,000 in debt from undergrad. My options are:

St. Johns-- full tuition scholarship (top 40% to maintain all)-- total cost approx= 55,000
Ohio State-- 12,000 (2.5) and 8,000 non-resident grant over 3 years-- total cost approx=80,000
W+L-- 20,000 (3.15)-- total cost approx= 95,000

Am I a fool to turn down St. John's offer? Or smart to avoid a so-so school in an oversaturated market? I'm off to OSU next weekend so obviously that's a big part of the puzzle. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 pm

TracyLynn wrote:So I visited W+L this past weekend and it was great. Nice area, small, supportive school. I really liked it.

To sum up my situation, I'm 40,000 in debt from undergrad. My options are:

St. Johns-- full tuition scholarship (top 40% to maintain all)-- total cost approx= 55,000
Ohio State-- 12,000 (2.5) and 8,000 non-resident grant over 3 years-- total cost approx=80,000
W+L-- 20,000 (3.15)-- total cost approx= 95,000

Am I a fool to turn down St. John's offer? Or smart to avoid a so-so school in an oversaturated market? I'm off to OSU next weekend so obviously that's a big part of the puzzle. Thanks!
don't go to SJU. try to decide whether you'd rather work in ohio or virginia. either OSU/W&L would be fine choices.

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:11 pm

seriously take w&l. better hiring prospects, super low cost of living, etc. the difference b/w SJU and w&l is only 40,000 and is nothing in the grander scheme of things. i wouldn't even think twice about it. W&L

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

aquyenl wrote:seriously take w&l. better hiring prospects, super low cost of living, etc. the difference b/w SJU and w&l is only 40,000 and is nothing in the grander scheme of things. i wouldn't even think twice about it. W&L
Is 130,000-140,000 total student loan debt irresponsible though? I mean I know we talking about 130-140 and around 100 for SJU so I will have debt regardless. Just curious if the debt I would accumulate at W+L isn't a good idea. Thanks!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:38 am

NBPPIsnotforme wrote: First of all, St. Johns and UIUC BOTH put all scholarship and stipulations kids in the same section 1L year. Meaning that you are not competing against the average joe of your class, only the ones deemed the desirable candidates.
What on Earth are you talking about? The stipulation is based on her grades relative to the class, not section.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Just an FYI that I have withdrawn from UIUC. Besides W+L, St. John's and Ohio State, I have acceptances from UConn and Brooklyn, waiting from scholarships from both, but I think those will be the final three. Would you take on 95,000 in debt for W+L, 80,000 for OSU or 55,000 for St. John's? Thanks everyone--

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Just an FYI that I have withdrawn from UIUC. Besides W+L, St. John's and Ohio State, I have acceptances from UConn and Brooklyn, waiting from scholarships from both, but I think those will be the final three. Would you take on 95,000 in debt for W+L, 80,000 for OSU or 55,000 for St. John's? Thanks everyone--
wait until you've visited OSU, but i think W&L is the right choice.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:48 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Thus, under their new stipulation (top 40% to keep all and you can keep half in the top 55%) they expect approximately 10% of the class to lose some of their scholarship.
lol, they know damn well that more than 10% is going to lose some of their scholarship.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

For the love of God, it is W&L. Not "W+L". You need to know that before you go there next year. Which you should.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”