Better school for more $$ or full ride? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: Better school for more $$ or full ride?

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Attorney wrote:For the love of God, it is W&L. Not "W+L". You need to know that before you go there next year. Which you should.
Really? Nobody fucking cares... except you apparently.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
Attorney wrote:For the love of God, it is W&L. Not "W+L". You need to know that before you go there next year. Which you should.
Really. And let me guess, never fucking been there huh.

It was a little TIC, but they are very particular about it at W&L. So before you say no one fucking cares, maybe visit the school and find out that everyone there cares a lot? Like obsessively? Like they dream about it at night?

Srsly though, this is TLS... get a thicker skin kitty.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Attorney wrote:Really. And let me guess, never fucking been there huh.

It was a little TIC, but they are very particular about it at W&L. So before you say no one fucking cares, maybe visit the school and find out that everyone there cares a lot? Like obsessively? Like they dream about it at night?

This is the internet, you're quibbling over spelling, and you tell me to get a thicker skin?

To get back to the OP's dilemma, I think this is a debate between W&L and OSU. Pick wherever you would rather work.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:14 pm

bk187 wrote:This is the internet, you're quibbling over spelling, and you tell me to get a thicker skin?
That's what people do on the Internet. If you have a problem with it, don't use the Internet. Ever.

But seriously, if you wear a sweatshirt that says W+L in Lexington they will beat the shit out of you. I'm saving lives here and yet you complain!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Attorney wrote:
bk187 wrote:This is the internet, you're quibbling over spelling, and you tell me to get a thicker skin?
That's what people do on the Internet. If you have a problem with it, don't use the Internet. Ever.

But seriously, if you wear a sweatshirt that says W+L in Lexington they will beat the shit out of you. I'm saving lives here and yet you complain!
lulz, I'd give this guy props for wearing around a handcrafted sweatshirt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 pm

bk187 wrote:lulz, I'd give this guy props for wearing around a handcrafted sweatshirt.
:lol:

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Attorney wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Really. And let me guess, never fucking been there huh.

Thanks for the input everyone..and correcting my punctuation error lol. If I do go there, I won't make that mistake. All of my friends from NYC think St. John's is a great idea-- especially for free. My family is wondering why I would pay to go somewhere else. I'm convinced that W&L and OSU are better in their markets and offer more opportunities. I just need to make sure that those advantages are worth all the extra cash.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:04 pm

tell them the full ride is a scam and you'll probably lose it. don't go to SJU. you could make an argument for either OSU or W&L depending on your regional preferences. W&L is tiny, and in a tiny town, but it's still pretty close to D.C. and it's a really cool campus. plus ohio blows.

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm

fatduck wrote:tell them the full ride is a scam and you'll probably lose it. don't go to SJU. you could make an argument for either OSU or W&L depending on your regional preferences. W&L is tiny, and in a tiny town, but it's still pretty close to D.C. and it's a really cool campus. plus ohio blows.
Thanks fatduck. love your avatar!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:43 pm

So after my visit to Ohio State, we are officially down to the final three..W&L, OSU or St. John's. W&L and OSU stips are very reasonable, St. John's full tuition scholarship to top 40% to maintain it all. I will come out with approx 100,000 in debt from St. John's (including undergrad) and 140,000 from either OSU or W&L. The costs at OSU and W&L are pretty close because I will have to be paying for absolutely everything in Ohio to try to declare residency for the second and third years. I know everyone says that St. John's is a crap school, and I understand why. Do you think OSU or W&L are worth the extra cost? Thank you!

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am

Wanted to post an update after finishing my visits to all these schools. I went to St. John's yesterday and definitely liked it. I have a few friends that go there and a bunch of friends in the city, so that appealed to me. Also, they seemed to have a lot of programs that would be interesting to me. The apartments the school offers are also really nice. I've also always loved the NYC area and hoped to get there sometime in my life.

As a refresher: I'm not interested in biglaw, probably something more public interest minded. This fact makes me feel like I should be wary of taking on extra debt since I may not be making a lot upon graduation. I also have 40,000 undergrad debt, which makes my decision a lot more complicated. If not for that debt, I feel like I would have a much easier time choosing OSU or W&L.

My options are: Ohio State (total cost 95,000 with residency in the 2nd and 3rd years+ scholarship with 2.5 stip), W&L (total cost 100,000 with 20,000 scholarship with 3.15 stip) and St. John's (total cost 60,000 with full tuition scholarship with top 40% stip to keep it all...something like top 55% to keep 75%, etc.)

I have less than a week to either deposit at St. John's or eliminate them, OSU and W&L deposits are May 1st. Any additional input would be great. Thanks all!

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 am

Only go to St. John's if you are willing to drop out after 1L if you fail to keep all of your scholarship. Even then I don't think it's the right choice, but you seem very keen on it. One thing I'm wondering is whether you're from NYC, or if you've spent significant time there--St. John's is actually pretty far from Manhattan and the trendy parts of Brooklyn, so you might not be signing up for the lifestyle you have in mind by going there. But, if you know what you're getting into with that, then that's your call.

Personally, W&L seems like your best option by far, although there is also a substantial gap between OSU and St. John's as well (OSU being by far a better choice). That said, I'm pretty sure from your posts here that you're going to choose St. John's, so I just hope that you either do well or pull the trigger and drop out when the time comes.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:46 am

I havent read the entire thread, but it sounds like you have a compelling reasons to attend W&L, OSU and St. Johns, and you enjoyed your time there.MY only added opiinon would be to ask you which area of the country do you like better, and can see yourself living after law school? I personally believe that every school right now ( minus the top 10 ) is a regional school. While you have a chance at going to NYC, DC, or some other city- chances are you will end up starting your career in the region that your school is in. Taking that into consideration, and comparing your likes and dislikes for each school, and where you want to be after law school- i think would help you make the final decision. IF you really need more time, you can always send in the first round of deposits to St. Johns and then use all of april to visit again, and thoroughly evaluate each school and compare it to your personal preferences, and requirements. A top 40 stipulation is pretty tough to maintain, and NYC is expensive to live in. DC is also pretty expensive, so you have to take that into consideration. But then again, each of those cities has a lot to offer- so maybe thats a wash. Best of luck- and take your time with this. Dont rush this decision!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 am

Try getting some more money by sending negotiation emails a few days before deposit deadlines.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 am

Do not go to St. John's. The school is atrocious and scholarship stipulations like that should not be hanging over your head.

OSU is a good school but I am skeptical of its portability. I take it you have no ties to Ohio, so I would probably cross them off. If you turned down UIUC, then there is no reason to continue considering OSU. Why did you withdraw from UIUC anyways? It was easily the best school on your list.

Anyways, Brooklyn and UCONN? No and no.

W&L is your best option of the ones you currently have on the table. It is a good school and you have a decent scholarship, but a 3.15 stip? I didn't realize they were so TTT about schollies.

However........

Your best option is probably none of the above. I can't believe that we're three pages in and no one has said this yet, but you are basically looking at A) Sub-par schools with a lot of debt or B) Decent schools with a TON of debt in areas that you have no ties to. I would be really, really hesitant to take any of these schools with the debt and potential removal of scholarships you are looking at. Try doing some negotiation on the money and the stiputations, and maybe consider taking a year off and trying again. The debt you're looking at is a lot for these schools.

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks for all the posts! Just to clarify-- this is my second cycle, I actually retook last October and spent this year working. I will be picking one of these three, even though some say it may not be the best decision. UIUC would have cost me close to 40,000/year and with my undergrad debt, I just couldn't justify it.

I know that OSU and W&L are better schools but I'm terrified of 130,000-140,000 of debt.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:24 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Thanks for all the posts! Just to clarify-- this is my second cycle, I actually retook last October and spent this year working. I will be picking one of these three, even though some say it may not be the best decision. UIUC would have cost me close to 40,000/year and with my undergrad debt, I just couldn't justify it.

I know that OSU and W&L are better schools but I'm terrified of 130,000-140,000 of debt.
Gotcha. Do you know what W&L curves to? 3.15 seems like a high stipulation, especially for a T1 school. That's pretty lame of them to put that kind of stip on a scholarship.

I think W&L is the runaway winner, but I would definitely drop out if I lost my scholarship.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm

When I asked the dean at W&L he said that approximately 70% of the students achieve that GPA. At the open house, we were also told that if you do not meet your scholarship requirements, they will have a meeting with you to discuss. She mentioned that if they feel a student is trying, they will not necessarily take the scholarship away.

Would you take 130,000-140,000 debt at OSU or W&L over 100,000 at St. Johns? Thanks!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Would you take 130,000-140,000 debt at OSU or W&L over 100,000 at St. Johns? Thanks!
Would I ever take out 130,000-140,000 in debt to OSU or W&L? No. Would I ever take out 100,000 to go to SJU? HELL no.

But would I take 30k more in debt for OSU/W&L over SJU? Without even a moment's hesitation.

TracyLynn

Bronze

Post by TracyLynn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TracyLynn wrote:Would you take 130,000-140,000 debt at OSU or W&L over 100,000 at St. Johns? Thanks!
Would I ever take out 130,000-140,000 in debt to OSU or W&L? No. Would I ever take out 100,000 to go to SJU? HELL no.

But would I take 30k more in debt for OSU/W&L over SJU? Without even a moment's hesitation.
Thanks romo for all your help. Just to let everyone know.. the 130-140 or 100 would be my total debt after graduation, undergrad and law school combined. I would be paying 95-100 for OSU and W&L and 55-60 for St. John's.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:17 pm

TracyLynn wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Thanks romo for all your help. Just to let everyone know.. the 130-140 or 100 would be my total debt after graduation, undergrad and law school combined. I would be paying 95-100 for OSU and W&L and 55-60 for St. John's.
Hmm... That's not terrible then. You can probably keep your debt from OSU or W&L even lower with smart money management in law school. Keep that COL as low as you can.

I'd savoid St. John's like the plague. My vote is for W&L. Just make damn sure you can keep that scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”