Being PARENTS in LS (a resource/information thread) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lolschool2011

Bronze

Being PARENTS in LS (a resource/information thread)

Post by lolschool2011 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 pm

There seems to be a huge demand for a thread to share info/resources for parents already in or going to law school.... I propose using headings ITT so parents (or those expecting) can quickly scroll through (or find via search) topics they might be interested in.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Re: Being PARENTS in LS (a resource/information thread)

Post by lolschool2011 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Going Rates for a Nanny?

I have a question actually.... what is considered "fair" as far as the going weekly rate for a daytime nanny? My wife will be working full time after we have our baby and I'll be working part time/going to LS the other half. We're definitely going to need a nanny during the day.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:21 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Going Rates for a Nanny?

I have a question actually.... what is considered "fair" as far as the going weekly rate for a daytime nanny? My wife will be working full time after we have our baby and I'll be working part time/going to LS the other half. We're definitely going to need a nanny during the day.
I'm sure that depends on where you live. In Austin I know a nanny who makes $12/hr for watching two young boys, one with special needs. The challenge of that vs. the challenge of an infant may make a difference, I'm not sure. After I had my daughter I thought about getting a nanny, but for some reason decided that I would rather her be in a liscenced child care facility instead. The idea of a nanny neglecting her was so scary to me, and I thought my odds would be better if the child care providor was taking care of my kid under a video camera, etc. The only places I could find where I would even consider leaving my infant were $900+.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Another idea that has occured to me is that of hiring something like a nanny for the weekends. I plan on my three year old being in school for most of the day (it's sadly what she's used to at this point what with my 8-5 job), and I tell myself that the hours after I get home until I put her to bed with be DEVOTED ENTIRELY TO HER AND ONLY HER NO HOMEWORK ALLOWED. I guess other parents say that is the way to make it work. But I wonder if I couldn't hire someone to come and help me out one day on the weekends, like help out with housework and basic kid maintenance while I did some schoolwork (but was still in the house if my child started to miss me). I'd offer $7/hr to a college kid, maybe $8. If no one takes the offer than I know it's too low :wink:

Also, I'm a single mother, so that may make my concerns a little different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”