Law School's Religious Affiliation... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lolschool2011

Bronze

Law School's Religious Affiliation...

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:43 pm

To what extent does a law school's (or university's in general) religious affiliation influence or affect it's curriculum, approaches, and so forth?

In the context of law and teaching the law, I hope (and like to think) it doesn't affect it at all, but I'm probably wrong.

krad

Gold

Re: Law School's Religious Affiliation...

Post by krad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:31 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:To what extent does a law school's (or university's in general) religious affiliation influence or affect it's curriculum, approaches, and so forth?

In the context of law and teaching the law, I hope (and like to think) it doesn't affect it at all, but I'm probably wrong.
IMO this would depend on the school. If you look at places like ND, BYU, Pepperdine, etc. it seems pretty entrenched. ND's "a different kind of lawyer", BYU's affiliation with LDS, Pepperdine's conservative Christian views...

On the other hand you have places like Georgetown that were founded and are affiliated with a certain religion but that religion doesn't seem as pervasive. (Though I did read someplace that GULC's med center doesn't dispense birth control? Guh).

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 pm

krad wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:To what extent does a law school's (or university's in general) religious affiliation influence or affect it's curriculum, approaches, and so forth?

IMO this would depend on the school. If you look at places like ND, BYU, Pepperdine, etc. it seems pretty entrenched. ND's "a different kind of lawyer", BYU's affiliation with LDS, Pepperdine's conservative Christian views...

On the other hand you have places like Georgetown that were founded and are affiliated with a certain religion but that religion doesn't seem as pervasive. (Though I did read someplace that GULC's med center doesn't dispense birth control? Guh).
Yeah, makes sense.... probably various degrees of pervasiveness throughout the country. If that's true GULC's med center doesn't dispense BC though, they just became a TTTTT med school IMO. Ridiculous - leave religious ideology out of medicine/science please. Whatever, I'd go to Johns Hopkins if I were MD bound anyway.
Last edited by lolschool2011 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Yeah true that, I was trying to remember where I saw that, it may have been somewhere here on TLS actually.

Edit: Oh wait, wait. My bad- It was a misconception about the school apparently, though a few people were concerned about it and current students said it ended up being fine. Whoops.
Last edited by krad on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm

You gotta go with Christ brah

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Probably not going to notice a lot from the school itself at most places other than maybe some leaning towards more PI-focused work and professors sometimes being clergy. Law schools like Cardozo have tried to distance themselves as much as they can from their main universities.

As someone above said, it'll vary. I'd expect to feel it more at ND and BYU, less at GULC and BC. I would also think that another thing would be the student culture and that there are certain types of students who choose to go to BYU/Pepperdine/etc and that the atmosphere is more indicative of that than anything else.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:48 pm

bk187 wrote:I would also think that another thing would be the student culture and that there are certain types of students who choose to go to BYU/Pepperdine/etc and that the atmosphere is more indicative of that than anything else.
Definitely this, too.

Oh and this:

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 pm

the only affiliation law schools have is with the Almighty Dollar.

I am sure most schools would permit time off for Festivus observance if the deans thought it would get a few more fannies to sign up for loan dollars.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm

I think BYU is on a whole different level of religion permeating into the school than any other religiously affiliated school (this is of course my own opinion from what I've heard/read about the school). Pepperdine also. I base this on the fact that they actually have professors and I believe students, sign something saying they believe in their specific faith before they can teach/attend their school.

My UG has an LS and obviously I'm only speaking from my own experience at the UG and what I've heard from 1Ls at the LS but...I went to *edited for privacy* which is a Jesuit school and religion was there but it was not forced upon you in any way. There is a church on campus where they hold mass if you would like to attend and occasionally your professors will be priests, but that is about as far as it went in terms of religion being noticeable. The LS is not even on the same campus as the UG and from what I've heard (I know several people who go to *edited*) nothing there is different from any other LS (in terms of religion).
Last edited by Pleasye on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I think I've posted this about a billion times (not really), but any Jesuit school is going to have a major emphasis on social justice and public service. Aside from that, you won't have much of a Catholic influence.

That's probably less true at a school like Notre Dame, which is more conservative. :)

EDIT: Jesuit law schools in top 100...:

Georgetown
Fordham
BC
Loyola Marymount
Loyola (Chicago)
Seattle U
Marquette
Gonzaga
Last edited by NZA on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 pm

NZA wrote:I think I've posted this about a billion times (not really), but any Jesuit school is going to have a major emphasis on social justice and public service. Aside from that, you won't have much of a Catholic influence.
TITCR

I also feel like I've posted in a "religiously affiliated schools" thread like a million times haha.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
NZA wrote:I think I've posted this about a billion times (not really), but any Jesuit school is going to have a major emphasis on social justice and public service. Aside from that, you won't have much of a Catholic influence.
TITCR

I also feel like I've posted in a "religiously affiliated schools" thread like a million times haha.
:) Indeed. It's a valid question, and I could understand why people ask it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 am

NZA wrote::) Indeed. It's a valid question, and I could understand why people ask it.
I however fail to understand why people don't use the search function.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 am

bk187 wrote:
NZA wrote::) Indeed. It's a valid question, and I could understand why people ask it.
I however fail to understand why people don't use the search function.
:idea:

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 am

LSpleaseee wrote:I think BYU is on a whole different level of religion permeating into the school than any other religiously affiliated school (this is of course my own opinion from what I've heard/read about the school). Pepperdine also. I base this on the fact that they actually have professors and I believe students, sign something saying they believe in their specific faith before they can teach/attend their school.
False in the case of Pepperdine. I believe true in the case of BYU only if you want to benefit from outrageously discounted tuition.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 am

1ferret! wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:I think BYU is on a whole different level of religion permeating into the school than any other religiously affiliated school (this is of course my own opinion from what I've heard/read about the school). Pepperdine also. I base this on the fact that they actually have professors and I believe students, sign something saying they believe in their specific faith before they can teach/attend their school.
False in the case of Pepperdine. I believe true in the case of BYU only if you want to benefit from outrageously discounted tuition.
Maybe it's different for the LS but I know for a fact that professors at the UG must sign a statement saying that they believe in Jesus as their savior or w/e that crap is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”