UVA 90k or Chi Sticker- Want Boies Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA 90k chi stick

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 pm

VA
73%
Chi
27%

Total votes: 114

CaliLove03

New

UVA 90k or Chi Sticker- Want Boies

Post by CaliLove03 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Want to work at Boies in NYC or Oakland. What % do I need for a solid shot from each of these schools? Not that risk adverse. Leaning toward Chi . Ty bros

thisguy456

Bronze

Re: UVA 90k or Chi Sticker- Want Boies

Post by thisguy456 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 pm

CaliLove03 wrote:Want to work at Boies in NYC or Oakland. What % do I need for a solid shot from each of these schools? Not that risk adverse. Leaning toward Chi . Ty bros
At least top 5%. I hope you find other interesting career goals.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't know firms specifics but I figure Uchi probably has slightly better change than a UVA student.

However searching the firm there are more UVA grads than UChi grads at Boies. I don't know how selective they are.

Either way 90K is just too much to turn down. I'd go to UVA. Hell I'd go to UVA myself if I was offered that and I want to practice in chicago.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:34 pm

Trying to choose a firm before you have even started law school is usually a fools errand.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 pm

nealric wrote:Trying to choose a firm before you have even started law school is usually a fools errand.
Yeah that. Seriously?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 pm

UVA, without a doubt. Turning down $90k at any top 10 school for a non-YHS is generally a bad idea, IMO. For what you're looking for, I don't think Chicago provides you with much of an advantage. You shouldn't set your sights on one particular firm though, especially at this stage.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 pm

Cavalier wrote:UVA, without a doubt. Turning down $90k at any top 10 school for a non-YHS is generally a bad idea, IMO. For what you're looking for, I don't think Chicago provides you with much of an advantage. You shouldn't set your sights on one particular firm though, especially at this stage.
I disagree. Chicago will get you into more national legal doors than UVA. Because you don't know how you will do in grades, Chicago is the safe choice. 90k will mean less after several years at your dream job.

Because of Chicago's small class size and placement everywhere, you will be unique on both coasts and employable at top firms in every market.

In my discussions with legal professionals, Chicago is continually perceived as being essentially equal to everyone but Yale and (sometimes) Harvard (Chicago has old school prestige in the legal community that is not understood by USNWR zealots on TLS).

Also, Chicago opens significant other options that UVA doesn't such as a ton of angel investment capital if you want to start a company, access to the Chicago network that is uniformally strong in almost every field and includes 50-plus living nobel winners, tons of C-level execs, and many political and legal stars. Also, if you don't like law you can go into Ibanking and Management consulting maybe more easily that median top-6 MBA kids.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:17 pm

The alleged prestige advantage that Chicago has over UVA will mean nothing to OP if he strikes out at OCI, which is a possibility that he should not ignore. $50-60k of debt is quite manageable on an ordinary income; $160k of debt is not. Furthermore, graduating with little debt arguably opens more doors than graduating with a degree from a school of only slightly more prestige.

Also, UVA is more fun.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:22 pm

nealric wrote:Trying to choose a firm before you have even started law school is usually a fools errand.
+1.

fwiw, I really like Chicago, but I'd probably go to Virginia in this situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaliLove03

New

Post by CaliLove03 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 am

Reedie wrote:
+1.

Ya. One of my best bros from HS just got a 150,000 dollar bonus from Boies as a 2nd yr associate, but he billed close to 3k hrs. The dude literally made over 340 grand as a 26 yr old. No flame. He went to HYS tho. I Got Dinged. Which is y I'm comparing my VA vs UCHI options. Ty for ur perspectives bros. Obv I'll work that tie and try and network like a G6. Jus tryig to gauge how much of a prestige gap there is bet chi and VA. Namely, a 90k one?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:41 am

the bros and G6 references.. make it stop !

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:43 am

Oh, so this desire comes from something much more concrete than reading the bonus watch at ATL.

wank.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:51 am

CaliLove03 wrote:
Reedie wrote:
+1.

Ya. One of my best bros from HS just got a 150,000 dollar bonus from Boies as a 2nd yr associate, but he billed close to 3k hrs. The dude literally made over 340 grand as a 26 yr old. No flame. He went to HYS tho. I Got Dinged. Which is y I'm comparing my VA vs UCHI options. Ty for ur perspectives bros. Obv I'll work that tie and try and network like a G6. Jus tryig to gauge how much of a prestige gap there is bet chi and VA. Namely, a 90k one?
Oh lord there are so many things wrong with you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:34 am

I would go to T6 over T10 regardless of $$$. On the back end T6 is safer since there is no telling how I will do grades wise.

CaliLove03

New

Post by CaliLove03 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:59 am

U mad Bc my HS bro is stylin on u, bro? Hope ur 6.5k cravath bonus halps, mang. - love XOXOHTH

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:31 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
Cavalier wrote:UVA, without a doubt. Turning down $90k at any top 10 school for a non-YHS is generally a bad idea, IMO. For what you're looking for, I don't think Chicago provides you with much of an advantage. You shouldn't set your sights on one particular firm though, especially at this stage.
I disagree. Chicago will get you into more national legal doors than UVA. Because you don't know how you will do in grades, Chicago is the safe choice. 90k will mean less after several years at your dream job.

Because of Chicago's small class size and placement everywhere, you will be unique on both coasts and employable at top firms in every market.

In my discussions with legal professionals, Chicago is continually perceived as being essentially equal to everyone but Yale and (sometimes) Harvard (Chicago has old school prestige in the legal community that is not understood by USNWR zealots on TLS).

Also, Chicago opens significant other options that UVA doesn't such as a ton of angel investment capital if you want to start a company, access to the Chicago network that is uniformally strong in almost every field and includes 50-plus living nobel winners, tons of C-level execs, and many political and legal stars. Also, if you don't like law you can go into Ibanking and Management consulting maybe more easily that median top-6 MBA kids.
Fucking "angel investment capital"? Really?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 am

thisguy456 wrote:
CaliLove03 wrote:Want to work at Boies in NYC or Oakland. What % do I need for a solid shot from each of these schools? Not that risk adverse. Leaning toward Chi . Ty bros
At least top 5%. I hope you find other interesting career goals.
LOL Boies is not even close to that selective.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:01 am

Ragged wrote:I would go to T6 over T10 regardless of $$$.
So you'd go to NYU paying sticker over UVA or Penn paying nothing? That's dumb.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:36 pm

RVP11 wrote:
So you'd go to NYU paying sticker over UVA or Penn paying nothing? That's dumb.
Very dumb.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:47 pm

CaliLove03 wrote:U mad Bc my HS bro is stylin on u, bro? Hope ur 6.5k cravath bonus halps, mang. - love XOXOHTH

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:49 pm

I'd say UVA. But since you are NOT risk averse and seem to prefer UChi (hopefully not just for rankings), I say UChi for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Boies currently has 4 attorneys from UChi and 13 from UVA. Not sure how much of this can be attributed to self-selection and/or class size, but seems pretty significant.

With that said it is ridiculous to choose a school based on an individual firm you aspire to. I think you would be nuts to turn down nearly a full-ride from UVA to pay full freight at UChi.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:50 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Fucking "angel investment capital"? Really?

Maybe its because I've started businesses before, but to me having cheap investment capital readily available and easy to get (not having to give 50% of your entity to a VC shark) can mean millions of dollars of extra money into your pocket if you can get a venture going.

Also, with Chicago Booth being down the street, law students can jump on to great, existing start ups in a CLO or legal consultant capacity and get great experience and possible equity in ventures. With some recent uChicago businesses selling for 70 mil+, a 5% stake would be some nice pocket change. Also, if you stay on with a successful venture, you could jump back into biglaw or corporate law after a couple years at a partner level and make bank without having to deal with the associate years.

While this path is not for many, it is a definite plus for those less risk-averse with business acumen and self confidence.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 pm

RVP11 wrote:
So you'd go to NYU paying sticker over UVA or Penn paying nothing?

I would have to pause and think about it, and it would be a tough call if we are talking NYU. If the choice was Columbia vs. full ride at T10, I'm pretty sure I'd go to Columbia. And that's in a freakish case of me getting a full ride at Penn and not a penny at T6.

It might be dumb, but at least I would be going to to LS knowing that I did as much as I could to help me get a job later. The thought of having to beat out 20% of my class at a school like Penn scares me.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Ragged wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
So you'd go to NYU paying sticker over UVA or Penn paying nothing?

I would have to pause and think about it, and it would be a tough call if we are talking NYU. If the choice was Columbia vs. full ride at T10, I'm pretty sure I'd go to Columbia. And that's in a freakish case of me getting a full ride at Penn and not a penny at T6.

It might be dumb, but at least I would be going to to LS knowing that I did as much as I could to help me get a job later. The thought of having to beat out 20% of my class at a school like Penn scares me.
It is probably not in good sense but CCN do place better in the top firms. I know a partner at S&C that winced when I told him I applied ED to Michigan because that was my top choice rather than taking a ~60% shot at NYU. If you would be happy working at any big firm the t6 distinction matters much less (and I wouldn't bank on being top of my class at CCN for it to matter anyway). For 90K though the choice would be clear for me but I certainly understand shooting for the moon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”