T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Other Rankings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dany

Diamond

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Other Rankings

Post by Dany » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 pm

pcwcecac wrote:As a prospective law student, I have no idea just how significant this LRW business is. I type/write slowly and poorly.

From a learning standpoint, would a graded LRW class help me improve writing more so than a P/F? I learned absolutely nothing from classes that I took P/F in college.

On the other hand, I will probably be raped in graded LRW class.

Do people fail LS because they never learned how to write properly?
What exactly do you think lawyers do?

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Dany wrote:
pcwcecac wrote:As a prospective law student, I have no idea just how significant this LRW business is. I type/write slowly and poorly.

From a learning standpoint, would a graded LRW class help me improve writing more so than a P/F? I learned absolutely nothing from classes that I took P/F in college.

What exactly do you think lawyers do?
Convince people of their point of view, mostly in writing.

I'm actually very enthusiastic about learning how to write properly. But I also dread the poor grades.

EDIT: Have you started law school yourself, Dany?

EDIT: Ah! I see that you are Chicago '14. How is the Bigelow sequence?
Last edited by pcwcecac on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:24 pm

I would not put too much weight on whether LRW is graded or ungraded. Very few people literally fail law school. However, quite a few people do poorly and fail to get a job. It's really hard to predict how well you will do.

pcwcecac

Bronze

Post by pcwcecac » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:32 pm

thanks bronte

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Curious about Penn's situation... does it now have graded LRW? Is it curved or just graded like Chicago?

Do any 2011 1L's feel like this significantly changed their experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 am

Ernert wrote:Curious about Penn's situation... does it now have graded LRW? Is it curved or just graded like Chicago?

Curriculum is supposed to change for 2012. Still P/F right now.

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
Ernert wrote:Curious about Penn's situation... does it now have graded LRW? Is it curved or just graded like Chicago?

So it will be graded in fall 2012? Just trying to gather information to compare Penn w/ other schools I'm looking at.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 am

Ernert wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
So it will be graded in fall 2012? Just trying to gather information to compare Penn w/ other schools I'm looking at.
I am not sure. I remember they said they will pay more attention to legal writing, but I am not sure if it will be graded. FWIW, it's sort of graded anyway because a percentage of the class get Hs - about the same percentage as A/A- in curved classes.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ernert wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I am not sure. I remember they said they will pay more attention to legal writing, but I am not sure if it will be graded. FWIW, it's sort of graded anyway because a percentage of the class get Hs - about the same percentage as A/A- in curved classes.
Maybe I'm just paranoid/crazy, but I do hope they don't change it. I'm tempted to email admissions (or someone) and ask, though I'm not sure if they'd actually know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Just pray you have a LRW instructor who gives a shit, otherwise you are learning next to nothing you couldn't learn on your own and you are subject to arbitrary grades and long hours to get them.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

fwiw, Cornell's section sizes are more like 30, not 90. ... :?:

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Aren't "section" sizes at SLS 28-32?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:44 pm

neonx wrote:Aren't "section" sizes at SLS 28-32?
Yeah, the section sizes seem to be inaccurate in the OP. It needs to be updated...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 am

excellent posts. Can anyone clarify whether the median grant amounts refers to three yr totals or per year and also whether it includes merit scholarships, need-based grants, or both?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 am

Is Northwestern's still graded without curve?

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:08 am

I'm curious to see if the info from the op still stands.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:53 pm

I think it might be worth making a new topic or trying to get OP trasnferred to an active user. New topic has the benefit of getting a bunch of fresh eyes to post the current situation on the ground.

Thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:13 pm

phillywc wrote:I think it might be worth making a new topic or trying to get OP trasnferred to an active user. New topic has the benefit of getting a bunch of fresh eyes to post the current situation on the ground.

Thoughts?
Totally agree. I was coming here to post the same thing. If you want to start a new thread or take over this one, maybe we can split up the grunt work of compiling the new data. We could pretty much replicate the OP of this thread.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 pm

If we get another person or two, we could knock this out fairly quickly, and without anyone dumping a ton of time. We could forward the lists we make via PM or post within the thread so that the OP can make changes.

The necessary data should be on the ABA reports. I believe KennyP made a thread with links to all of them for the T14. It would be quite handy to have all of the info in one place when it comes to decision making time. Also, is there a thread which lists all of the ASW dates? That, among other things, might be a nice addition to the OP.

Anyone else willing to help?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm

kemosabe wrote:If we get another person or two, we could knock this out fairly quickly, and without anyone dumping a ton of time. We could forward the lists we make via PM or post within the thread so that the OP can make changes.

The necessary data should be on the ABA reports. I believe KennyP made a thread with links to all of them for the T14. It would be quite handy to have all of the info in one place when it comes to decision making time. Also, is there a thread which lists all of the ASW dates? That, among other things, might be a nice addition to the OP.

I'll make the thread, if people are cool with that.. I'm very active on the site and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm sure as a group we could compile it quickly.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Sounds good. Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm

PM me what you got, I'll make the thread tomorrow.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:27 pm

phillywc wrote:
kemosabe wrote:If we get another person or two, we could knock this out fairly quickly, and without anyone dumping a ton of time. We could forward the lists we make via PM or post within the thread so that the OP can make changes.

I'll make the thread, if people are cool with that.. I'm very active on the site and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm sure as a group we could compile it quickly.
:lol:

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 am

phillywc wrote:

Hit me up if you want more help. ASW dates are here:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=223854

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”