Stanford v. UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Stanford v. UVA

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:31 am

dresden doll wrote:
Knock wrote:
Nah. Some may say that I am naieve, but I believe in true love, and I sense it in the OP.
Really now.
--ImageRemoved--
to bluff?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 am

On the other hand, did I see up there a mention that you want to work in DC? If I were you, I'd decide what my #1 choice for city is and research placement stats. IIRC, Virginia places better than Stanford in DC anyway so.... yeah.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:52 am

piccolittle wrote:On the other hand, did I see up there a mention that you want to work in DC? If I were you, I'd decide what my #1 choice for city is and research placement stats. IIRC, Virginia places better than Stanford in DC anyway so.... yeah.
i hate it when people try to write off all placement weaknesses/strengths as selection bias, but in this case i am pretty sure it's a stronger explanation than placement weakness on the part of SLS.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am

piccolittle wrote:On the other hand, did I see up there a mention that you want to work in DC? If I were you, I'd decide what my #1 choice for city is and research placement stats. IIRC, Virginia places better than Stanford in DC anyway so.... yeah.
In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, Stanford sends a lot of people to DC. Both my roommates were there last summer; I'll be there this summer.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am

IAFG wrote:
i hate it when people try to write off all placement weaknesses/strengths as selection bias, but in this case i am pretty sure it's a stronger explanation than placement weakness on the part of SLS.
Look, I go to UVA and I wouldn't even tell people that UVA is better for DC--it's not. Stanford sends about 20 percent of its class to DC; that's a lot of people for a school in California. What matters is how deep DC firms are willing to go into SLS class; I promise you that DC firms hire deeper into SLS class than they do UVA's. In addition, the DOJ criminal div came by UVA and said, in so many words, that they give a preference to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford applicants. DC is the market where going to HYS pays off the most. In NYC you don't lose too much by going to Columbia or NYU instead of HYS, in California you don't lose to much by going to Boalt, in Chicago you don't lose much (if any) from going to Chicago. DC doesn't have a local school that they elevate to the level of HYS. They like UVA, but they definitely aren't about to put it up there with Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 pm

aschup wrote:
framboozer wrote:"Turning down Stanford" is still quite prestigious, and turning down Stanford for love is romantic.
Neither of these is true.
So people won't think you're smart when you tell them that you turned down Stanford for a better opportunity and money at another prestigious school? False.

And turning down Stanford for love is romantic for anyone who perceives it to be so.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:29 pm

dresden doll wrote:
framboozer wrote:You obviously know your situation better than anyone else, but I can relate, so I'll share what I would do if it were me.

I've been with my boyfriend since first semester freshman year of undergrad, and now we're seniors. We're both looking at law schools, but we're from two completely different parts of the country. This complicates things even further, because we have completely different home markets. Pending our LSAT scores (he already took it, but I didn't), we might very well be shooting for different levels. Who knows. Our GPA's are on slightly different levels after all. We're both applying for Fall 2012, and all I know is that I'd choose going to the same school as him over HYS or CCN for sure.

We have also survived 3 years together including two semesters abroad and being 1000+ miles apart every single break from school. If you know you want to be together, I don't see the point in torturing yourselves, at least if you're like us. We help each other study and focus on school and do better. Does your work ethic benefit from your s.o.? You'll know since you've spent those semesters and summers apart. If so, like I said, don't torture yourself. Be there to support and encourage each other.

Hypothetically, if my s.o. were to get into a better school than me and were to choose it, no I wouldn't dump him, because obviously that wouldn't help anyone. But I would be upset, and I think my work would suffer from it. Med school and law school are rough and will keep you guys busy. It will be hard to find time to keep it together and support each other from thousands of miles away. But if you go to school together, and ostensibly live together, you don't even have to go out of your way to spend time together. You can get positive energy and support from each other, just by being around each other, no matter what you're doing.

If you spend those 3 years apart, does that guarantee a break-up? Absolutely not. You'll have break at least every few months and you'll get summers together. You guys are obviously serious if you have an understanding that you'll get married to each other some day, and you're smart to wait until you're financially independent. The most important question is how much you guys benefit from being around each other and how much of your success is hinged on it.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with UVA. It's cheaper, solid, and you're returning there. But Stanford is Stanford. If it's meant to be, it will work out no matter what you choose. Go with your gut. There is peace of mind to be gained with either decision. "Turning down Stanford" is still quite prestigious, and turning down Stanford for love is romantic.

Sorry for the ramble, but I feel you. Best of luck! You truly deserve it.
Over/under on how long before this relationship ends in a bitter break up?
Well you certainly beat me to the bitter.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:35 pm

framboozer wrote:If you spend those 3 years apart, does that guarantee a break-up? Absolutely not. You'll have break at least every few months and you'll get summers together.
Came here to lol at the bolded.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 pm

bk187 wrote:
framboozer wrote:If you spend those 3 years apart, does that guarantee a break-up? Absolutely not. You'll have break at least every few months and you'll get summers together.
Came here to lol at the bolded.
Well if they're from the same area and are both trying to work in that area, they can both be in Virginia. Do I think law students and med students just sit on their butts all summer like some undergrads? No. But I'm under the impression that both are trying to end up in Virginia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 pm

framboozer wrote:
aschup wrote:
framboozer wrote:"Turning down Stanford" is still quite prestigious, and turning down Stanford for love is romantic.
So people won't think you're smart when you tell them that you turned down Stanford for a better opportunity and money at another prestigious school? False.

And turning down Stanford for love is romantic for anyone who perceives it to be so.
People simply won't believe you. And think you are a giant douche.

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Ragged wrote:
framboozer wrote:
aschup wrote:

People simply won't believe you. And think you are a giant douche.
I can't think of a situation in which mentioning that you turned down a more prestigious school could be done without coming off obnoxiously.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I can't think of a situation in which mentioning that you turned down a more prestigious school could be done without coming off obnoxiously.
"Hey, so what other schools were you deciding on when you chose UVA?"

OP: "For me it was between UVA and stanford, for personal reasons this was the school for me."

^^^ definitely not obnoxious

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:55 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

OP: "For me it was between UVA and stanford, for personal reasons this was the school for me."

I'd think that someone was insecure about attending UVA and was trying to make up a nice back story to make themselves look more accomplished. The decision is just that unbelievable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 am

Ragged wrote:

I'd think that someone was insecure about attending UVA and was trying to make up a nice back story to make themselves look more accomplished. The decision is just that unbelievable.
Insecure about attending a T10? that person would have to have some serious problems. I know people who have taken UT over Harvard (im UG at UT), so i dont think its as crazy as you

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:47 am

Ragged wrote:

Insecure about attending a T10? that person would have to have some serious problems. I know people who have taken UT over Harvard (im UG at UT), so i dont think its as crazy as you

I guess it just depends on a person. Maybe if had a family that I didn't want to make to relocate... that's the only reason I can think of for me to even consider choosing UVA over Stanford, or UT over Harvard.

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:52 am

Yes, however...

#1 The ability to somehow name-drop that in the odd chance that question comes up shouldn't be an important factor, or any sort of factor, at all.

It's romantic, I guess. But romance sometimes plays people for fools.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Still trying to decide... my last hope is that Harvard will miraculously accept me and that way I can stay on the east coast. UVa just made the decision even harder with a 30k scholarship

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:47 pm

kak5n wrote:Still trying to decide... my last hope is that Harvard will miraculously accept me and that way I can stay on the east coast. UVa just made the decision even harder with a 30k scholarship
30k/year or 30k total? You should politely ask them to reconsider if it's the latter.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

legends159 wrote:
kak5n wrote:Still trying to decide... my last hope is that Harvard will miraculously accept me and that way I can stay on the east coast. UVa just made the decision even harder with a 30k scholarship
30k/year or 30k total? You should politely ask them to reconsider if it's the latter.
That's what I was confused about... they sent me an email telling me to log in to SIS and check my award (I'm an undergraduate here as well so I could log in) and then it only said "2011-2012" for year. Do I assume that means it will be renewed every year if my GPA is good, or is that just for the first year?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 pm

kak5n wrote:
legends159 wrote:
That's what I was confused about... they sent me an email telling me to log in to SIS and check my award (I'm an undergraduate here as well so I could log in) and then it only said "2011-2012" for year. Do I assume that means it will be renewed every year if my GPA is good, or is that just for the first year?
i think it means you can renew it every year but you should call to make sure. $90K is a lot of money

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gaby

New

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm

This may be a bit belated, but I've been following this thread for awhile and want to say something:

So, I'm actually having to make the same decision as you. However, I don't have in-state at Virginia so I'm almost 75% sure right now that I will choose Stanford (because of the IP and how could you say "no"?) Also, if you regret the decision it's easier to transfer FROM Stanford than the reverse.

That being said, I just got out of a 3 1/2 year long distance relationship. I mean seriously long distance - like a 21 hour drive between. The thing with long distance is that it can't be a permanent situation. You need to have a time limit. For you guys, you know that it would be three years. That's why mine ended - because there was no end in sight with law schools, etc. on the horizon. But it's totally doable if you really want to be with the person (but it also REALLY sucks). Either way, you'll both be super busy whether you're in the same city together or not, but long distance can work.
... just wanted to send you a positive note on the relationship end of your decision. lol!

Also, can't wait to hear how you'll mention Stanford to UVA.
Last edited by Gaby on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaby

New

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Oh, and that scholarship should be per year. That's what mine says.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

Soooo this thread should now be called Stanford v. UVA v. Harvard! Just got in this morning, and now I think I am more strongly considering Harvard over Stanford especially because it's on the East Coast. What do you guys think? Thanks for sticking with this discussion for so long by the way!

Saul Goodman

Bronze

Post by Saul Goodman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I think your SO should have applied to UCSF - what a program...

But seriously, Harvard is another win, congrats. You may want to consider the difference in class size, though. Also, Harvard isn't exactly next door to UVA. Still, congrats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”