GULC buyers remorse? AKA how bad are employment prospects Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrAnon

Gold

Re: GULC buyers remorse? AKA how bad are employment prospects

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:56 am

CLS was not accused of bumbling. The Thomas Jefferson School of Law admissions person came off looking cleaner than GULC in this article.

Okay I'll take your word for it. the new york times is a local tabloid and this article must be meaningless and won't be read by anyone tomorrow.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:58 am

MrAnon wrote:CLS was not accused of bumbling. The Thomas Jefferson School of Law admissions person came off looking cleaner than GULC in this article.

Okay I'll take your word for it. the new york times is a local tabloid and this article must be meaningless and won't be read by anyone tomorrow.
And where do you go to law school MrAnon?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:07 am

Hilarious. I am here to tell the OP how bad GULCs employment prospects are. I posted my thoughts and was trashed. Now I cite a mainstream news article and in turn my law school becomes the issue.

I am sure my law school games employment statistics. I doubt they are worse than GULC at it but I suppose it is possible. I am not a blind cheerleader for my school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:08 am

MrAnon wrote:Hilarious. I am here to tell the OP how bad GULCs employment prospects are. I posted my thoughts and was trashed. Now I cite a mainstream news article and in turn my law school becomes the issue.

I am sure my law school games employment statistics. I doubt they are worse than GULC at it but I suppose it is possible. I am not a blind cheerleader for my school.
That doesn't answer my question (FWIW, I'm going to Penn, not GULC.)

I just want to know if you're actually entitled to your elitism.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:23 am

HeavenWood wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Hilarious. I am here to tell the OP how bad GULCs employment prospects are. I posted my thoughts and was trashed. Now I cite a mainstream news article and in turn my law school becomes the issue.

Lol, how the tables have turned! Heavenwood the elitist - I feel like Emperor Palpatine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 am

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Lol, how the tables have turned! Heavenwood the elitist - I feel like Emperor Palpatine.
LOL, I was being mostly sarcastic. I don't think anyone should be calling Georgetown a joke (perhaps I should have put entitled in quotation marks).

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:09 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 am

Have you already been accepted ED? If so, you would likely be screwed anywhere else... afterall you should have already withdrawn your applications elsewhere.

If you haven't, call them immediately. You can probably get out of your ED. Most schools will say "its totally cool and totally wont affect your admissions chances here". But they will likely immediately wait-list or reject you. However, there was at least one person on TLS who got out of ED at Penn and still got in. If you aren't totally committed to GULC, giving up on it entirely might be worth it for more options.

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 am

If I were you I definitely wouldn't pull out and re-apply next cycle. There are multiple comments on TLS that tried the re-apply early thing and had almost the exact same cycle. One of my friends applied in Feb last year and applied in like Oct this year as had the EXACT same cycle. Maybe he'll get off more wait-lists but who knows. But my guess would be if you pull out of the ED you will definitely get dinged at g-town next year and it would be a bit of a gamble to say that you'd have better options.

As far as all the GULC hate is concerned I think a few very important things get overlooked when talking about the school. Current NLJ stats have them just shy of 40% in biglaw in the worst of times. I'd say a very large proportion at the school did not gun for biglaw at all. I'd also say that a very large number of them were gunning for DC biglaw which was notoriously hard to get. So my guess would be that if you were trying to get NYC biglaw you probably had a good shot since you didn't have anywhere near as much of the competition for it as other schools.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 am

FlanAl wrote:If I were you I definitely wouldn't pull out and re-apply next cycle. There are multiple comments on TLS that tried the re-apply early thing and had almost the exact same cycle. One of my friends applied in Feb last year and applied in like Oct this year as had the EXACT same cycle. Maybe he'll get off more wait-lists but who knows. But my guess would be if you pull out of the ED you will definitely get dinged at g-town next year and it would be a bit of a gamble to say that you'd have better options.

As far as all the GULC hate is concerned I think a few very important things get overlooked when talking about the school. Current NLJ stats have them just shy of 40% in biglaw in the worst of times. I'd say a very large proportion at the school did not gun for biglaw at all. I'd also say that a very large number of them were gunning for DC biglaw which was notoriously hard to get. So my guess would be that if you were trying to get NYC biglaw you probably had a good shot since you didn't have anywhere near as much of the competition for it as other schools.
That Kool Aid looks delicious.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Have you already been accepted ED? If so, you would likely be screwed anywhere else... afterall you should have already withdrawn your applications elsewhere.

If you haven't, call them immediately. You can probably get out of your ED. Most schools will say "its totally cool and totally wont affect your admissions chances here". But they will likely immediately wait-list or reject you. However, there was at least one person on TLS who got out of ED at Penn and still got in. If you aren't totally committed to GULC, giving up on it entirely might be worth it for more options.

Not sure why this thread got revived... I remember seeing it a few months ago... Is OP still trying to decide this? With OPs #s (I think 159/170; 3.59 no?) ED to GULC is a solid choice IMO if OP is genuinely interested in GULC in the first place. It's not like he's exactly in scholly territory at other T14s or that he's even 100% certain to get other T14 acceptances (nor is GULC ED certain, so this may not even be an issue).

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 am

takes a single anecdote from above the law

uses it as a representative sample

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:41 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 am

DAisaka09 wrote:
FlanAl wrote: As far as all the GULC hate is concerned I think a few very important things get overlooked when talking about the school. Current NLJ stats have them just shy of 40% in biglaw in the worst of times. I'd say a very large proportion at the school did not gun for biglaw at all. I'd also say that a very large number of them were gunning for DC biglaw which was notoriously hard to get. So my guess would be that if you were trying to get NYC biglaw you probably had a good shot since you didn't have anywhere near as much of the competition for it as other schools.
I really wanted to believe this for a long time, i no longer do so. Maybe my prospects won't be better if i reapply, but because of my ed i never really got a full picture. stupid me. In my mind there doesn't seem to be any sense in deliberately choosing a not so good option like GULC at sticker (yes i understand the irony of that statement, since it's what i chose previously), if i can do something about it. I just want to know if reneging my ed is going to make it impossible for me to get in anywhere next year.
For somebody who apparently doesn't want to take the "risk" of GULC, it seems odd to me you are more willing to take the risk of having a bad cycle after breaking your ED. Just throwing that out there for ya.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 am

DAisaka09 wrote:
dr123 wrote:takes a single anecdote from above the law

uses it as a representative sample
that's actually not true but i can see why you might think that.
Sorry I should have specified, I meant that in reference to MrAnon. The "point" hes trying to make about georgetown is totally baseless. His argument reads like an LSAT flaw question

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am

Anecdotal evidence suggests that next cycle you'll get rejected from GULC but it shouldn't adversely affect you at other schools. And with those stats you should be looking at a few other options at the lower end of the t14.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 am

Boo

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am

DAisaka09 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: For somebody who apparently doesn't want to take the "risk" of GULC, it seems odd to me you are more willing to take the risk of having a bad cycle after breaking your ED. Just throwing that out there for ya.

That's true, but that's why i'm trying to figure out how much of a risk it will be (breaking ed). I mean is there any evidence to suggest that gulc at stick is a good choice ITE?
NLJ stats haha? I mean are you really gunning for that extra half a percentage point that duke has over gtown? I'm not trying to be a dick but with those numbers nothing is a sure deal (people with similar numbers and no 159 are getting dinged all over the place). Obviously if you are over it you shouldn't go I would just really consider why you don't want to go and do your best to get more realistic expectations about what to expect next year.

AND why'd you stop drinking the kook-aid man? Seriously would like to know since you were obviously pumped on them for a little while (and I'm pretty pumped so I could probably use some perspective)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DAisaka09

New

Post by DAisaka09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:56 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
NLJ stats haha? I mean are you really gunning for that extra half a percentage point that duke has over gtown? I'm not trying to be a dick but with those numbers nothing is a sure deal (people with similar numbers and no 159 are getting dinged all over the place). Obviously if you are over it you shouldn't go I would just really consider why you don't want to go and do your best to get more realistic expectations about what to expect next year.

AND why'd you stop drinking the kook-aid man? Seriously would like to know since you were obviously pumped on them for a little while (and I'm pretty pumped so I could probably use some perspective)
Some of these graphs were pretty eye opening especially the number of unemployed and part time GULC grads especially in comparison to the rest of the T14.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150681

Also if you look at the NJL + Art 3 numbers GULC has lagged behind the rest of it's "peers" pretty significantly. It feels like it's better to get a scholly at a top 18 rather than go to GULC at stick.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150004

Looking at all this stuff made it hard to stomach this decision. I was never very good at math but even i can see that the numbers don't look very good.
Not wanting to sound like a dick but I am sick of the shit about Gtown. Georgetown was founded originally as a part time program for federal employees..... So a lot of the part time students have jobs or do not wish to work in law they work at the USDA EPA etc... to be honest I have only spoken to graduates from 5+ years ago about this. Also anyone who works for higher up security clearance work including CIA can not even tell their relatives about getting hired so I doubt the can post it on some survey.... Also the bitches have scotus justices stop by for visits wtf is wrong with you people? The only major downer for me is the whole Michael Steele thing....

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Predent, cia employees can't tell their relatives? That is a complete lie. When going through the hiring process you are told to keep it we quiet until you are hired. After you are hired you can put it on a survey or tell someone. Also, the number of gulc grads working jobs with top secret clearances is minimal so even if you weren't talking out your ass it wouldn't matter. GULC is lagging behind it's peers, there is no way to get around that fact.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Predent, cia employees can't tell their relatives? That is a complete lie. When going through the hiring process you are told to keep it we quiet until you are hired. After you are hired you can put it on a survey or tell someone. Also, the number of gulc grads working jobs with top secret clearances is minimal so even if you weren't talking out your ass it wouldn't matter. GULC is lagging behind it's peers, there is no way to get around that fact.
You are so full of shit tell everyone you are applying and see what happens

Also why does it come down to federal clerkships and big law what about gov jobs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”