3.7, 149 and URM, potential schools for international law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joni7alex

New

3.7, 149 and URM, potential schools for international law?

Post by joni7alex » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 pm

3.7, 149 & URM. I would like to do international law: to work in human rights or development. AU was my dream school but i don't think my numbers get me there. What do you guys think are my other best shots. thanks

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3.7, 149 and URM, potential schools for international law?

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Regarding international law: http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/ ... e_the_hype

Regarding your potential schools: retake the LSAT.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Your GPA is way to beautiful to waste on that LSAT score.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:40 pm

joni7alex wrote:3.7, 149 & URM. I would like to do international law: to work in human rights or development. AU was my dream school but i don't think my numbers get me there. What you guys think are my other best shots
Just to get this out of the way:

Is retaking not an option? With your GPA you can open up a lot of doors if you can pull your LSAT score up. Reverse-splitters often have a tough time and unpredictable cycles, especially with schools that lean towards the LSAT. Your URM status will give you a boost, but 149 is going to be a tough pill for some schools to swallow.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Retake/reconsider

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Retake. You will get a boost, but not a great one with that score. Try to take a few months of strong-prepping guided by the methods the people scoring well have discussed thoroughly on this site. With practice, you should be able to get to the 160's at least.

Also, forget AU. Too expensive and specialty rankings are not all that. If you want DC, work hard on your retake and apply to G'Town. Your GPA is too good to settle for the 149.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:50 pm

do NOT let this board get in your way if your dream is International Law.

Florida Coastal has an International Law Club. I think you would get in with those stats.

International Law Society (ILS)

The International Law Society is dedicated to the promotion of International Law that encompasses a vast understanding for differences both culturally and legally in the various legal systems of the world. In August 2008, the International Law Society (ILS) at Florida Coastal School of Law was recognized as an official chapter of The International Law Students Association (ILSA). The International Law Students Association is a global organization linking International Law Student Associations throughout the world and provides opportunities to meet international law students from all regions of the globe through various events and conferences. Joining ILS will provide great opportunites and benefits to those who enjoy travelling abroad and plan to practice in the area of international law.

http://www.fcsl.edu/content/student-organizations

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:53 pm

MrAnon wrote:do NOT let this board get in your way if your dream is International Law.

Florida Coastal has an International Law Club. I think you would get in with those stats.

The International Law Society is dedicated to the promotion of International Law that encompasses a vast understanding for differences both culturally and legally in the various legal systems of the world. In August 2008, the International Law Society (ILS) at Florida Coastal School of Law was recognized as an official chapter of The International Law Students Association (ILSA). The International Law Students Association is a global organization linking International Law Student Associations throughout the world and provides opportunities to meet international law students from all regions of the globe through various events and conferences. Joining ILS will provide great opportunites and benefits to those who enjoy travelling abroad and plan to practice in the area of international law.

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!
Having an International Law Club =/= having a reputable international law program. HTH.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
MrAnon wrote:do NOT let this board get in your way if your dream is International Law.

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!
Having an International Law Club =/= having a reputable international law program. HTH.
i think he was joking, or at least i hope he was.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Retake

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!
+1
If you can get in, this should open doors for you.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:01 pm

retake, get a 157, and get a big scholarship to american. be first in line for all of their international opportunities. don't go to G Town even if you can get in. the line of work that you want will never allow you to pay back the G Town loans, or any other T 14.

also, don't listen to 80% of the people on this board who just want T 14. likely, if you actually know what you want to do with your life, you are way ahead of them.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:retake, get a 157, and get a big scholarship to american. be first in line for all of their international opportunities. don't go to G Town even if you can get in. the line of work that you want will never allow you to pay back the G Town loans, or any other T 14.

also, don't listen to 80% of the people on this board who just want T 14. likely, if you actually know what you want to do with your life, you are way ahead of them.
What about the 99% of people telling him that 'international law' is not a realistic career goal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:retake, get a 157, and get a big scholarship to american. be first in line for all of their international opportunities. don't go to G Town even if you can get in. the line of work that you want will never allow you to pay back the G Town loans, or any other T 14.

What about the 99% of people telling him that 'international law' is not a realistic career goal?

define international law

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 pm

you know what the ppl on this site would say...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:09 pm

concurrent fork wrote:

Great opportunites!

Enjoy travelling!
+1
If you can get in, this should open doors for you.
This isn't nice.
Last edited by thecilent on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm

???

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

define international law
joni7alex wrote: I would like to do international law: to work in human rights or development.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

define international law
joni7alex wrote: I would like to do international law: to work in human rights or development.
and going to G Town and incurring a ton of debt would give him zero chance at working towards the things he is passionate about.

lawyers can work on international issues, many of which may or may not deal with development, or of advancing human rights. often they are employed by the government or they teach at a university, but not always. now, if someone thinks they are going to get a JD and focus on international law, then get swooped up by the UN and be an international lawyer, well then that is ridiculous. but there are firms that deal with international issues. some may be more inline with international business development, but some international business development is very good for the people in the host country. these deals need attorneys schooled in international treaties, the laws of two countries, the history of work in the region, etc..

the point is, lawyers can help to advance human rights, and perhaps a full ride at a school with good international programs (work on those essays) would open up doors for the OP. would they be well paying? very unlikely. however, this is a possibility.

this board is filled with people who don't want that for a career. that's the short of it. its like people here assume idealism and having a job are completely incompatible, in all circumstances. nonsense.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Image
omg. somehow, i have never seen this. this is amazing.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:and going to G Town and incurring a ton of debt would give him zero chance at working towards the things he is passionate about.
Ever heard of IBR? Debt should not keep you from going to a good school.

Now GTFO and DIAF.

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Consider going to law school in Europe?

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Image
haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”