4 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm

redacted.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

framboozer

Bronze

Re: Which market is best?

Post by framboozer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 am

I don't know what type or level (Big, mid, etc.) of law you want to practice, nor do I know your stats, but I can tell you some things I've picked up. Georgetown is the local top dog in D.C., but D.C. draws from all over the country. It's gonna be drawing from all over the the T14. Many even say that UVA is the real local top dog. While it's not located in D.C., D.C. is the closest big market, and you better believe most UVA grads aren't sticking around in Charlottesville. Basically GW has a lot more competition than just GULC. I've heard that NYC is easier to crack than D.C., because there are a lot more opportunities there in general. Although I cannot confirm that, it does make sense to me.

If you really feel like you can live anywhere in the country and your numbers aren't competitive for the T14 and you're not set on big law, then maybe you should consider a smaller market where you'll have less national and local competition. For example, University of Minnesota is top dog in the Twin Cities, and there you'd be at least a little less likely to be competing with the T14. In the case of Philadelphia where Penn is, well, most people don't go to Penn to live in Philadelphia, they temporarily relocate to Philadelphia to go to Penn, and then head to New York or maybe D.C. afterwards. Therefore, there is still good respect for the Philadelphia area's other two law schools Villanova and Temple, both T2's.

But you do have to take everyone's ideas with a grain of salt, since we don't know your personal information.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 pm

SHANbangs wrote:What are the most competitive markets
DC, Chi, and SF, in my experience. Also smaller markets are always competitive if you lack connections.
SHANbangs wrote:Which ones have the most jobs/best employment prospectives
NYC hands down. Even if you have no desire to work in NYC it is advisable to allocate some bids there anyway.
SHANbangs wrote:Also, comparing similar cases but in different markets ie. is it better to go Fordham for NYC when you have NYU and Columbia as competitors, or is it better to go GW in DC when you have GULC as top dog?
If you are asking which has better biglaw placement, off the top of my head I think GW is slightly better. Also it will be easier to go from GW --> NYC than it will be to go from Fordham --> DC. All things being equal, if your options are Fordham vs. GW, I would take GW.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 pm

LOL. You know you are a 0L if you say New York city. Sure, there are a lot of jobs in NYC, but do you have any idea how many lawyers there are applying to those jobs? Yeah, New York city has the best job prospects right now. Lol.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Informative wrote:LOL. You know you are a 0L if you say New York city. Sure, there are a lot of jobs in NYC, but do you have any idea how many lawyers there are applying to those jobs? Yeah, New York city has the best job prospects right now. Lol.
Your statement is quite ironic considering your post from April 5, 2010:
Informative wrote:I've narrowed my choices to these two schools and am curious responses. I am positive I want to practice in the northeast, and likely want to work in Boston. I am not a huge fan of LA, though I don't mind northern California. I would be non-resident in Cali so lets assume costs are the same at both schools. Which would you choose and why?
So, what was that again? "You know you are a 0L if?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Damn you caught me...I thought I could sneak in my 0L advice but you were too keen.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Informative wrote:LOL. You know you are a 0L if you say New York city. Sure, there are a lot of jobs in NYC, but do you have any idea how many lawyers there are applying to those jobs? Yeah, New York city has the best job prospects right now. Lol.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm

I like Whole Foods but it is a little pricey. Trader Joe's is pretty good too

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:46 pm

hokie wrote:I like Whole Foods but it is a little pricey. Trader Joe's is pretty good too
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Boy, you really learned a lot in your first semester of lawl school huh?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

goldeneagle

New

Post by goldeneagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm

thread successfully derailed

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm lost. Is this thread about which beer is best? If so, then for domestic beers I'm going to have to go with coors. Very smooth, always refreshing, and doesn't fill you up so you can get drunk quicker.

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 pm

lol
good move. flamed

Let1Equal0

New

Post by Let1Equal0 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:23 pm

retake