Bro, which law schools have wicked gyms? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blindc1rca

Bronze

Bro, which law schools have wicked gyms?

Post by Blindc1rca » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Seriously though, which schools have good gymnasiums accessible to the students? I've heard good things about Georgetown and Duke; anyone care to elaborate? Any others?

I went to a large state school for undergrad, and there were four gyms, 10 indoor basketball courts, an NCAA track, three olympic pools, numerous racketball courts and even a huge rock wall and a lake for kayaking. I've been jaded to say the least. Before I left the states I used to maintain a 50 mile/week running habit plus 50 mile/week bicycling 4000 meters/week swimming and 3 lifting sessions.

For nearly two years I've been in a developing nation in a situation where I can only do plyometrics and run. I'm itching for an athletic playground, and while it will play no role whatsoever in the law school that I choose, I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about the set-up at various top schools.

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Bro, which law schools have wicked gyms?

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Most schools with law schools will have multiple gyms across campus. The real issue is that the vast majority of law/professional school students avoid the undergrad areas like the plague (who can blame them). If you can stand frat boys grunting as they lift weights they shouldn't be touching in a million years then you will be all set.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:26 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Most schools with law schools will have multiple gyms across campus. The real issue is that the vast majority of law/professional school students avoid the undergrad areas like the plague (who can blame them). If you can stand frat boys grunting as they lift weights they shouldn't be touching in a million years then you will be all set.
Again, I went to a big (southern) state school. I couldn't care less about the d-bags over by the mirrors. I got used to them a long time ago. That said I think some have crappy setups (I've heard Vandy's gym is downright awful).

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Georgetown has a gym just for the law school. Weight room, two basketball courts, olympic size swimming pool.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Most schools with law schools will have multiple gyms across campus. The real issue is that the vast majority of law/professional school students avoid the undergrad areas like the plague (who can blame them). If you can stand frat boys grunting as they lift weights they shouldn't be touching in a million years then you will be all set.
Is it hard to breathe up there on your pedestal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:00 pm

(reposted and updated)

Good Gyms:
Duke, Georgetown, UChicago, BU, Yale, South Carolina (LinkRemoved), UIUC, Cincinnati, GW, Northwestern (non-university), Ohio State, Maryland (LinkRemoved), Penn (LinkRemoved), UGA, UC-Irvine, Iowa, UCLA (LinkRemoved), Texas (LinkRemoved), University of Washington, Cincinnati, FIU, Texas Tech, U of Florida, Cornell, USC (LinkRemoved), ASU, SMU, Mizzou, SLU, Emory, Case Western, UVA

Bad Gyms:
WUSTL, NYU, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia, Wisconsin, Fordham

Anyone want to add to the list?
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

langdonbadger

New

Post by langdonbadger » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:15 pm

re-applicant wrote:Georgetown has a gym just for the law school. Weight room, two basketball courts, olympic size swimming pool.
Everything at Georgetown was also state of the art.

chrissyc

Bronze

Post by chrissyc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:27 pm

UCLA has a decent gym but there's only 1 on campus. There are 2 pools for student use though, 1 inside and 1 outside near the dorms. There is a basketball court inside, rock climbing wall, and fitness classes, it gets pretty packed though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:57 pm

BU has the most incredible gym evar.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:02 pm

FuManChusco wrote:BU has the most incredible gym evar.
This. Its ridiculous.

Bajuda

New

Post by Bajuda » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Berkeley is notorious for having one of the worst gyms on the planet. Out of date/not enough equipment, terrible layout, and unattractive girls around every corner :(

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Bajuda wrote:Berkeley is notorious for having one of the worst gyms on the planet. Out of date/not enough equipment, terrible layout, and unattractive girls around every corner :(
Hippies don't work out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:11 pm

http://www.bu.edu/fitrec/index.shtml

Boston University - a boathouse, a dance theatre, and a swimming pool that looks like an "S" curve?! Whoah.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:27 pm

OP i'm going out on a limb here and guessing you went to the University of South Carolina.. if so it doesnt get better than the strom thurmond center

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Im compiling, so ill add info from that thread.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:02 pm

One thing you need to consider is how crowded it is. My undergrad has a very nice gym but is so damn crowded that you can't go at a convenient time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Georgetown

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 pm

I don't work out. Toured G'Town and saw their gym. I want to work out, now.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:16 pm

cornell has 4-5 gyms, the nicest of which is within 200 meters of the LS

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Ohio State has I believe the biggest recreation center in the country, and it has absolutely every amenity you could ask for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:53 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:Ohio State has I believe the biggest recreation center in the country, and it has absolutely every amenity you could ask for.
The RPAC dominates.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Fordham

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:
Again, I went to a big (southern) state school. I couldn't care less about the d-bags over by the mirrors. I got used to them a long time ago. That said I think some have crappy setups (I've heard Vandy's gym is downright awful).
Assholes can make a good gym not worth using.

Want to do straight bar bicep curls? Fine, but get the fuck out of my squat rack.
Want to do concentration curls? Fine, but get the fuck off the bench for the lat pulldown machine.
Want to grunt and throw down your 25-lb dumbbells after a set of curls? Not fine, kill yourself immediately.

wackyjack22

New

Post by wackyjack22 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one making decisions with a gym being part of the consideration. I've recently started scouring the Penn thread and at least one consistent contributer mentioned that she liked going to an off-campus gym. I'm personally planning on using the campus gym for the swimming pool and then joining a Crossfit gym so I can throw around weights and not worry that it bothers people. But then again, I'm not your average person as lifting is on my top 5 list for best things EVER!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”