Specialty law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Specialty law schools

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 pm

One thing op is overlooking is that more often than not, schools like Pace, VT, and L&C aren't very generous with cash. Just because you have the stats to get into a t30 or whatever doesn't mean you're also a lock to get a large scholarship at a lower ranked school; some just don't give out very much money. Unless you have the offers on the table, there really isn't much to consider here.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:One thing op is overlooking is that more often than not, schools like Pace, VT, and L&C aren't very generous with cash. Just because you have the stats to get into a t30 or whatever doesn't mean you're also a lock to get a large scholarship at a lower ranked school; some just don't give out very much money. Unless you have the offers on the table, this really isn't a consideration at all.

That is very true. L&C offered me significantly less money than other, higher-ranked schools.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 pm

kalvano wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:One thing op is overlooking is that more often than not, schools like Pace, VT, and L&C aren't very generous with cash. Just because you have the stats to get into a t30 or whatever doesn't mean you're also a lock to get a large scholarship at a lower ranked school; some just don't give out very much money. Unless you have the offers on the table, this really isn't a consideration at all.

That is very true. L&C offered me significantly less money than other, higher-ranked schools.

Exactly, I got full rides from school as high as IU-B, but little to no cash from schools as low as Catholic.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Exactly, I got full rides from school as high as IU-B, but little to no cash from schools as low as Catholic.
Yea but where else you gonna study cannon law?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Santa Clara University has a very strong IP and Patent presence in California.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
kalvano wrote:

?

I just couldnt resist the pun.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:18 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Just because you go to a T30 does not mean you are going to be broke the rest of your life! I mean come on, people who don't go into the top 6 don't get jobs?? That's absurd and I think the HYS mentality really gets blown out of proportion sometimes. It's not like I'm asking Cooley versus Michigan.

My original question was T30 versus T2 / T3 specialty, because I would get a full ride at the T2 / T3, and a small scholarship at a T30. If I went to the specialty school on a free ride I wouldn't be broke anyway; in fact I'd be more broke if I went to the T30. But the consensus was that the T30 is worth it.
You still have cost of living loans you have to deal with. It certainly isn't much compared to sticker but throw in all the other expenses of life (mortage, car, blood sucking monsters children) and going to a t4 can very well make you broke. This ties into wanting to do a good guy job for not much $ because $ isn't important to you. From my experience not caring enough about money is naive. The real issue I have is that any good you could do with a law degree, you could probably do right now without one with much lower risk to yourself.

But I really do hope that you find a job doing do-gooder environmental work and hope it pays well

and only partially so some greedy multi-national corporation can hire me to find a loophole so burn down the rain forest using wale oil powered hummers
I'm sure I'm just so naive living off of a 10k assistantship right now. I must have no idea what it's like to live without money-- my parents stopped covering my expenses several years ago, unlike most on this forum. Also, I must know no fiscal responsibility since I alone have paid off all of my undergrad debt and the reason I live poor is because I am currently working to pay off my grad debt, which is only a few thousand total because of scholarships.

Either way, I know my options and I'm leaning toward a T30. Last time I checked, people get degrees to earn legitimacy in the field they wish to pursue. That's all I'm doing, no need to down it and act like I'm on a cloud because I'd rather earn 50k in a job in which I find purpose than go into BigLaw for $$$ and hate my job.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
kalvano wrote:

?

I just couldnt resist the pun.
lol

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

DCLaw, so you'd be comfortable maintaining the same life style/qol you have now for the next 20 or so years?

That's a legit question. I by no means look down on t30's, I go to one. I do think it makes very little sense to take out the full sticker price at a school where you have very little shot at making enough to live comfortably and pay loans...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:DCLaw, so you'd be comfortable maintaining the same life style/qol you have now for the next 20 or so years?

That's a legit question. I by no means look down on t30's, I go to one. I do think it makes very little sense to take out the full sticker price at a school where you have very little shot at making enough to live comfortably and pay loans...
No, I hope not live poor, but I am not extremely bothered at the same time because I still have what I need. So boil it down for me, I should go for a full ride at a lower school, rather then a small scholly at a higher ranked school? There seem to be many conflicting views.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:DCLaw, so you'd be comfortable maintaining the same life style/qol you have now for the next 20 or so years?

No, I hope not live poor, but I am not extremely bothered at the same time because I still have what I need. So boil it down for me, I should go for a full ride at a lower school, rather then a small scholly at a higher ranked school? There seem to be many conflicting views.

It depends on what you want and where you want to work. I took a full ride at a Southern t30 over little to no cash at t25's. I wanted to work in the South, so it made sense to me. I just don't think it's something you can break down without having actual offers on the table, especially if you are considering schools that are in different markets. It's easy for me to say pick UGA with instate tuition over Mercer with a large scholarship, or UNC with instate over Campbell with a large scholarship. It's not as easy to say, pick Colorado at any cost over Loyola New Orleans with a large scholarship, or Wisconsin at any cost over Vermont with money...if you want to work in Wisconsin, go there. If you want to work in Vermont, go there...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:55 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
No need to get all pissy. Still, 10k a year is better than unemployed with 40K debt from living expenses. Take the top 30. Better yet go somewhere like University of MD. It is very well respected in MD, especially in Baltimore, and if you change your mind you will be able to make a decent living AND it has a highly ranked environmental law program. It fluctuates in the rankings from in the 30's to 40's probably based mostly on expenditures per student.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:21 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
No need to get all pissy. Still, 10k a year is better than unemployed with 40K debt from living expenses. Take the top 30. Better yet go somewhere like University of MD. It is very well respected in MD, especially in Baltimore, and if you change your mind you will be able to make a decent living AND it has a highly ranked environmental law program. It fluctuates in the rankings from in the 30's to 40's probably based mostly on expenditures per student.
Actually, I didn't mean this comment as pissy at all. However, I certainly did mean it when I stated I was not naive about the whole situation in the post above it. So much for internet emotion, heh.

I have actually applied at UMD and I like their program a lot. I have applied at almost every place I can think of in the DC / NE area that has a good representation of enviro law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
Go to UMD. Be this guy.

--ImageRemoved--

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

rad law wrote: Go to UMD. Be this guy.
--ImageRemoved--
That would be awesome, lol.

Except I'm not a dude. :)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:34 pm

rad law wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
Go to UMD. Be this guy.

--ImageRemoved--
Did they ever mention where he went to school in the show?

Or you can go to Baltimore and be this guy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”