Compare GULC with GW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
minuit

Silver

Re: Compare GULC with GW?

Post by minuit » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:47 pm

stratocophic wrote:
minuit wrote:
stratocophic wrote: Also, totally unrelated but strange, there are very few 'top' undergrad schools (according to the USNWR :roll: ) on their entering class list, aside from a good LAC or two and a few great tech schools like MIT and Caltech (which makes sense given the IP rep). Comparable schools (ND, WUSTL, UIUC, Vandy, etc.) all have a bunch of kids from Ivy schools, other private schools with good reps, and top publics like Berkeley/UVA/Michigan. Very strange disparity. I guess once a prestige whore, always a prestige whore, eh Ivy/T20 undergrads? :oops:
HUH?

ridiculous misinformation...
Not sure what list I was looking at, maybe one from a past year? Whatever it was I checked it several times because I couldn't believe how short the list of schools was :| That seems more like what I expected to see.
USNews sucks for yet another reason :)

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:GW has a broken vending machine that distributes two sodas for the price of one. I haven't seen GULC's soda-distribution numbers, but I'll speculate that they don't measure up.
where is this machine?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:GW has a broken vending machine that distributes two sodas for the price of one. I haven't seen GULC's soda-distribution numbers, but I'll speculate that they don't measure up.
that's it i'm sending my seat deposit tomorrow

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Objective measure ftw.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

androstan wrote:
Objective measure ftw.
you'll only need to drink 1,025 sodas per day to realize $200k in savings and make GWU totally worth it

:D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 am

Just for the record: there was a certain vending machine near the GULC cafeteria that regularly dispensed two for one sodas.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:08 pm

nealric wrote:Just for the record: there was a certain vending machine near the GULC cafeteria that regularly dispensed two for one sodas.
Crap. Now I don't feel good about GW anymore.

dcgirl1013

New

Post by dcgirl1013 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
nealric wrote:
I was going to say, where did you live in the DC area for $700 a month? Manassas? If in the city, where and with how many roommates?
Cap hill group rowhouse.
+1. Or Van Ness, Cleveland Park, Glover Park, even group houses in arlington. Cheap rooms may not be the easiest to find but it's definitely possible.

If you choose to live in a cheaper area of DC there are many downsides though esp. $$$ taxi rides... esp. if you are a girl. Metro closes pretty early, and even then you will probably have a significant walk to your apt. I have a friend who got assaulted in one of the nicest areas of DC walking home last weekend... FYI I live a few blocks from GW and split a 1 bedroom apt that is $1800 total ($900 for me)

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

kwhiteside wrote:This is irrelevant in terms of job placement and whether or not to invest significant amount of loans into the school of choice BUT one of the many reasons I LOVED GW over GULC was the atmosphere on campus.

Everyone at GW was friendly. The law school, located on the main undergrad campus (as opposed to GULC's which is in a different location than the main campus) had a very vibrant atmosphere with tons of study/eating/etc. options. In general I just felt like the people at GW were happier than the people I met at GULC.

GW's admissions office went out of their way to give me a tour, allow me to sit in on a class, etc. GULC handed me a map.

Obviously these things are no reason in themselves to pick one school over the other but overall I felt like they were the cherry on top of what I already liked about GW.
I just visited Gtown and GW and had the same experience. GW's admissions was pretty awesome and the students there seemed waaayyyy happier. I went thinking if I got in to Gtown I would take it over GW in a heart beat but now I am not so sure. I think I would be a better fit at GW. Though the SCOTUS settlements in the moot court room and the lap pool at Gtown are pretty awesome...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 pm

If you choose to live in a cheaper area of DC there are many downsides though esp. $$$ taxi rides... esp. if you are a girl. Metro closes pretty early, and even then you will probably have a significant walk to your apt. I have a friend who got assaulted in one of the nicest areas of DC walking home last weekend... FYI I live a few blocks from GW and split a 1 bedroom apt that is $1800 total ($900 for me)
You are actually more likely to get assaulted in dupont circle than in many of the supposedly "bad" areas. Muggers tend to target the high traffic + wealthy areas. For getting around DC, get a bike. It's a small town- you can get around just about anywhere faster by bike than you can by bus or train.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”