Thoughts on McGeorge? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Thoughts on McGeorge?

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 am

Dman wrote:I actually did ask the question last year to staff (I forget who, not sure if it was with the Dean or not). The answer was that there is some randomized method that evenly distributed students. I did not press it farther or ask for evidence SBL style :P

Section stacking, myth or fact, is really just impossible to prove unless everyone is willing to talk about their numbers and their scholarships. At my school, a friend of mine who is just generally paranoid swore up and down that his section was stacked. When I pointed out to him that my section had just as many large scholarship recipients as him, he still wasn't convinced. Fact was though, my experience made me fairly certain that the "we randomly place students" thing was true.

I didn't enroll in school until the day before classes were to begin. I begged to not be placed in the legal writing section that met at 8 am, but was told there was nothing they could do, the computer worked up a matrix and randomly placed students based on their incoming numbers and scholarships. I remember sitting in the dean of academic affairs' office and watching the computer randomize my section placement. I got the damn 8am section :(

Anyway, no school is ever going to provide any sort of "evidence" that shows they don't section stack. They'll all stick to the story that section placement is random. In some cases, that is true. In others, perhaps it's not.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 am

Dman wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Dman wrote:I actually did ask the question last year to staff (I forget who, not sure if it was with the Dean or not). The answer was that there is some randomized method that evenly distributed students. I did not press it farther or ask for evidence SBL style :P
Your response, as a freshly minted TLS 1L, should have been, "pictures or it didn't happen."

Just for clarification, I am a 2L transfer from McGeorge. I guess I was pretty loose with last year....it was during my admission cycle, which doesn't seem that long ago...damn time flies.
Congrats on GettingTFO of McGeorge dude! Where did you end up?

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 am

SBL wrote:
Dman wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Your response, as a freshly minted TLS 1L, should have been, "pictures or it didn't happen."

Just for clarification, I am a 2L transfer from McGeorge. I guess I was pretty loose with last year....it was during my admission cycle, which doesn't seem that long ago...damn time flies.
Congrats on GettingTFO of McGeorge dude! Where did you end up?
Finished top 5%, transferred to UCLA. Section stacking aside, I am still very fond of McGeorge. I genuinely liked the profs and my time there. However to cold hard reality is you will forever be stuck in Sac and to anyone not from there, having to explain what the hell McGeorge is.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:23 am

Dman wrote: Finished top 5%, transferred to UCLA. Section stacking aside, I am still very fond of McGeorge. I genuinely liked the profs and my time there. However to cold hard reality is you will forever be stuck in Sac and to anyone not from there, having to explain what the hell McGeorge is.
Exactly my feelings on transferring. Congrats btw.

Oakley84

New

Post by Oakley84 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Dman wrote:As a former McGeorge student and a transfer to a T20, here are my thoughts. The quality of education I received in my first year was at least as good as what I am getting now, perhaps better. I was challenged by professors who were always available and willing to answer my questions. The biggest difference between McGeorge and my new school is practical application verse ivory tower abstract academic debates. Being a practical person, I do miss the former. I left for future job prospects, but if that is not in your equation then you might actually like it...One caveat is their legal writing course is pure crap, I have nothing good to say about that :wink:

The current dean of the school runs a tight ship and administratively things run pretty smoothly with a lot of small school perks. Transcripts are free and it was very easy to get special accommodations for anything I needed paperwork wise.

As as for the environment and area. Sac is kind of odd in that you can have a very nice high class area literally across the street from an impoverished area. A 2 min walk can end you up in very different places. So in regards to the Oak park area, it is pretty rough and you will get looks. I think there was a student assaulted walking around at night last year. However if you walk out the other side of the campus it is in a clean area with very nice homes that are well maintained where many of the professors and other working professionals live. Short story: the bad part is easily avoided and there is still a lot of nice. Campus security is tight with 24 hour patrols and they are quick to respond. I called to get a door opened once and a guard came running, was there in about 3 minutes from across the campus.

Last thing to note is McGeorge schollies generally come with a top 1/3 requirement. I know several people who lost theirs, I would see if you could get that requirement removed if you are serous about attending. PM if you have any other questions.

What kind of GPA did you have to transfer out of McGeorge. We just got our semester exams, and I ended up with a 3.59 GPA weighted at about 40% for the entire year. But it is hard to gauge class ranking with just first semester exam grades as I'm sure you know from experience. Any advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I just withdrew and hope that opens up a spot for a TLSer. It was my first time withdrawing from one of my acceptances. It was hard cause the admissions people are so nice, but other schools with much higher rankings offered me much more money (with better stips too). Sad that that's what it came down to.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

sabenser wrote:I just withdrew and hope that opens up a spot for a TLSer. It was my first time withdrawing from one of my acceptances. It was hard cause the admissions people are so nice, but other schools with much higher rankings offered me much more money (with better stips too). Sad that that's what it came down to.
I just did, also. The whole "We'll miss you!!!" thing was really sweet and I felt awful. LOL =/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”