transfer question Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2011Law

Silver

transfer question

Post by 2011Law » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 pm

Didn't put this in the transfer forum b/c of the warning from vanwinkle. The only law school I'd attend is one where I'd be comfortable graduating from. But I just wanted to know where in the class you'd have to be to go from UF to a school like GULC, Cornell, or UCLA.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: transfer question

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Top 10% to have any chance, likely top 5% or better. That's a fairly big jump up.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 am

vanwinkle wrote:Top 10% to have any chance, likely top 5% or better. That's a fairly big jump up.
thanks, good to know. anyone out there make a similar jump?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:16 am

2011Law wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Top 10% to have any chance, likely top 5% or better. That's a fairly big jump up.
Vanwinkle jumped from top 10% at UVA to Harvard.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 am

im_blue wrote:
2011Law wrote:
that's pretty awesome for vanwinkle, but I was more wondering if anyone who made the jump from t40s/50s to lower t14/t17 could give any input in terms of what class rank they got and how they did after the transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:40 am

I am not the only transfer success story here.

I don't like them posting there, but 0Ls are certainly welcome to read the transfer forum for info. This thread in particular might be useful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p3500607

It will give you some data points (former tier and class rank, current school range transferred to, OCI success at new school). It's worth reading. No info on post-transfer grades, but remember you do OCI before you get grades at your new school, so they don't matter quite as much.

In any case, transfers often do well in their new school. I know one poster here jumped up from non-T14 to Chicago and is now #1 in his class, or very close to it. But what leads to that success is knowing how to be successful at your old school, and you can't know how successful you'll be at any school going in. It's a mistake to assume you can hit top 10% or better in advance.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 am

2011Law wrote:
im_blue wrote:
2011Law wrote:
that's pretty awesome for vanwinkle, but I was more wondering if anyone who made the jump from t40s/50s to lower t14/t17 could give any input in terms of what class rank they got and how they did after the transfer.
I was top 10% at similar school and got shut out of anything above wustl.
My friend top 6% at the same school got nothing in the t14. He didn't apply to usc/ucla/vandy

The transfer game really changed this year.

In past years T50 school 10% is usually good enough to get into at least one of the schools. gulc/vandy/ucla.

At the school I am at, they took 1/3 less transfers than last year. I heard GULC took 50% less and something similar happened at UCLA too.

The good news is that getting into wustl/emory/uiuc is a lot easier. Top 1/3 will give you a chance.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:36 pm

I wouldn't give up top 1/3 grades for any of those 3. If you're that intent on transferring up then put off LS for a year, hit 167+ on the lsat and go to WUSTL or UIUC to begin with. Also, transferring to Emory is ridiculous with the way their OCI looks.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I wouldn't give up top 1/3 grades for any of those 3. If you're that intent on transferring up then put off LS for a year, hit 167+ on the lsat and go to WUSTL or UIUC to begin with. Also, transferring to Emory is ridiculous with the way their OCI looks.
I donno. Schools in the 50s range generally have a handful of firms at OCI. Why not transfer to a school where you will atleast get a couple of oci spots just based on lottery.

Furthermore, if you are paying sticker or close to sticker at a T50 why not transfer and pay 10-20k more for a better name and reputation?

I just don't see what a person has to lose by transferring if he is t1/3 at a t50 school. The individual will not get a SA job at their old school anyways. I just dont see any downside in transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”