Are There Any Rankings for Online Law Schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
oneforship

Silver

Re: Are There Any Rankings for Online Law Schools?

Post by oneforship » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 am

Online Law Student wrote:I am an online law student. I have "kinda" made a comparative study of the eleven correspondence and online law schools registered on the California State Bar website.

For some basic information about correspondence and online law schools, go to Wikipedia: Correspondence and Online Law Schools, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_law_school.

As the statistic set forth in this Wikipedia entry show, except for the students at one online law school, namely the California School of Law, the passage rates on the First Year Law Students' Exam ("baby bar") for students at the correspondence and online law schools are shockingly low. Indeed, the passage rates on the October 2008 baby bar were 10 % and 14 % at Abraham Lincoln and Concord, the two biggest online law schools. In contrast, for the California School of Law students who had taken the School's recommended, but not mandated baby bar exam prep course and who had taken the School's Legal Methods course, literally 100 % of its students taking the June "09 baby bar were successful. The apparent reason for this School's excellent baby bar passage rate is that it is the only online law school that has the technology to use the Socratic Method of instruction as it is used at the top prestigious law "residential lawschools. Go to http://www.californiaschooloflaw.com/ for more information.

In reply to "Woozy" whose comments about the statistics are below, he or she is confused. The data is 100 % clear, both on the website and in the Wikipedia article: six students from the California School of Law took the June "09 baby bar and four passed. The only faiures were two students who had not taken the School's prep course or the School's legal method course.

As to the pejorative comments below by "Voice of Reason about job prospects for online law students, this will not be the case for California School of Law gradiuates because the School already is getting a reputation for providing a high quality and rigorous experience, through use of the Socratic Method.
EPIC two year bump. That is all.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:35 am

oneforship wrote:EPIC two year bump. That is all.
What's even more epic is that is was the second two year bump this thread's received.

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am

Woozy wrote:
What's even more epic is that is was the second two year bump this thread's received.
Someone should lock this thread til 2011.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am

lulz

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:47 am

Woozy wrote:
Wow I didn't even notice that. Haha, this thread is legendary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vikiviko

New

Post by Vikiviko » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 am

Please advise credible online law school to study.

Another thing is whether these certificates will be accpeted for bar education in my country.

pamra

New

Post by pamra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

I am considering to go to online law school, but I want to know if any of you know how would be finding a job after graduating from an online law school. I mean, if I pass my bar, does it make a difference where did I graduate from?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:39 pm

pamra wrote:I am considering to go to online law school, but I want to know if any of you know how would be finding a job after graduating from an online law school. I mean, if I pass my bar, does it make a difference where did I graduate from?
/facepalm

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 pm

This thread has made my day. perfect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 pm

rando wrote:This thread has made my day. perfect.
Haha you need to do more fun stuff.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:48 pm

pamra wrote:I am considering to go to online law school, but I want to know if any of you know how would be finding a job after graduating from an online law school. I mean, if I pass my bar, does it make a difference where did I graduate from?
Yes.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm

rad law wrote:
rando wrote:This thread has made my day. perfect.
Haha you need to do more fun stuff.
Work has ended and i'm waiting a few days to go on vacation. So broken english and watching the progression of online law school questions since 2005 will have to suffice. :lol:

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 pm

I took my J.D. from a T2 state school a quarter century ago. I am taking tax courses from one of the California correspondence programs now so I have some basis to compare.

1) Online schools are not ranked. There is no point in ranking them because a J.D. from such a school serves one purpose and one purpose only; it permits the student to take the California Bar exam. There is no such thing as prestige attached to these degrees.

2) A tiny, tiny percentage of students who begin such a program will ever pass the Bar. A larger, but still tiny, percentage will actually reach the point of failing the Bar.

3) Every year, a few students do pass and are duly licensed. It can be done. But studying law via correspondence is an order of magnitude more difficult than sitting in class. The successful student will learn a great deal of law but the VAST majority of students will not be successful.

4) Online or correspondence law schools are much less expensive than resident study but the two fairly decent schools out there, the ones with any sort of federally recognized accreditation, cannot be described as "cheap". Total J.D. tuition will run into the low to mid-tens of thousands of dollars.

There is no technical reason that a lawyer with one of these degrees could not be hired into any California firm or be hired by any California state or local governmental authority. I have no data to suggest whether such hiring ever takes place, however the schools themselves tout their graduates as successful Judges, Assistant District Attorneys, and solo/small firm practitioners. Perhaps; but I'd guess that most either do not practice or hang out their own shingles.

Bottom line: These schools should be considered only by California residents for whom an ABA approved full or part time program is unavailable either due to cost or location. I would strongly DIScourage anyone from attempting a distance program because he did not qualify academically for an ABA program. Given the choice between a distance J.D. program and an evening program at a California Bar accredited school, I would do the resident program even if it cost a bit more. It is that much easier and there's a MUCH better chance of actually finishing the degree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:24 pm

I took two online classes in law school. I wish my school offered more of them as I would have taken every one I could. After 1L I don't see much reason for most classes (not practical/skill courses of course) to be classroom based. No gunners, no professor spoon feeding a basic concept to the class no dealing with crazy hypotheticals. I get to do the work and turn it in whenever I wanted, the writing actualy better simluated what I really do as a lawyer than racehorse issue spotter exams, it made you actually think about issues rather than regurgitate BLL and I could work and make money instead of sitting in a classroom next to someone typing every word the professor says because they still can't figure this stuff out on their own even by 3L. 3l is pretty much a waste anyway, make it online and give students, or require them to get, internships to get some real practical skills before you turn them loose on the masses with no clue WTF they are doing.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:50 pm

The only law degree worth earning via distance education is the LL.B. by correspondence from the University of London. This is Nelson Mandela's law degree (also Robert Mugabe's, which somewhat cancels that out). I suspect it is still primarily a snail mail degree, but I would be surprised if there were not options to take some of it online now. As this is an undergraduate LL.B., it does not qualify you to practice in most U.S. states: but, just the same as regular British and Canadian law grads, you would be eligible to take the N.Y. Bar exam. If you pass the N.Y. Bar, you can then write the CA Bar. I don't know whether you would be able to alternatively go straight to the CA "baby bar" and from then on to the regular Bar exam.

This is the only distance-ed law degree with any kind of prestige or reputation attached to it. All other online law courses are utterly worthless.

legalkitty

New

Post by legalkitty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Regarding online law schools. It is important to remember that not all students have the same goals and objectives. There are many already working adults or adults with family obligations that choose online programs for a number of reasons and none of which have to do with getting firm jobs or the prestige of the institute. Some people already have jobs and some legal education would be beneficial to their career path. Others are not worried about ABA accreditation because they are never leaving the state of California or they will be practicing in the Federal system or as in house counsel. As to the comment above about California School of Law, I have met a couple of people who do their interactive online program and it is just as challenging and thought provoking as a traditional law school.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

This thread is awesome. lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Section141

New

Post by Section141 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Informative wrote:This thread is awesome. lol.
+1. Literally laughing out loud reading this thread.

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Section141 wrote:
do not know that I have seen a two-page five-and-one-half year old thread before that has had the dust blown off, not once but TWICE (and I guess now closer to a third time).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:34 am

too old for this sh* wrote:
Section141 wrote:
do not know that I have seen a two-page five-and-one-half year old thread before that has had the dust blown off, not once but TWICE (and I guess now closer to a third time) FOUR times.
It's only 2 pages, how did you miss it??? :o

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:37 am

I looked into this as an option, being a non-trad, married w/ children applicant. From what I saw, it simply doesn't exist. The only ABA accredited school I found at the time had just created an online program and I believe it was a school in PA. This was about a year ago. My recommendation is: don't waste your time.

Professors can't even get undergrad online classes right most of the time. Online law school would be the ultimate hell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

devluka

New

Post by devluka » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 am

I am considering to buy online fake degree, but I want to know if any of you know how would be finding a job after getting online fake degree. I mean, if I get fake degree form good university?

Fake degree

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:20 am

Posting in a Ken-response thread.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 am

--ImageRemoved--

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:15 am

devluka wrote:I am considering to buy online fake degree, but I want to know if any of you know how would be finding a job after getting online fake degree. I mean, if I get fake degree form good university?

Fake degree
Finding a job would probably be the same as having a real degree from 100 or so real law schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”