Fordham or Nothing? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham or Nothing?

Fordham
46%
Don't go to law school
54%

Total votes: 46

emjay

New

Fordham or Nothing?

Post by emjay » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:32 pm

I just barely have the numbers for Fordham (167/3.52), but that is the absolute best I can do. ITE, I am worried that I will leave even a T50 like Fordham with no job prospects and a ton of debt.

I really want to go to law school, but I'd rather not be poor. Looking to do biglaw in NYC.
I know a lot of people on here are T14 or bust, but I am just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Should I just find something else to do with my life?

FuManChusco

Silver

Re: Fordham or Nothing?

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 pm

1.) IBOS 2.) Is retake an option? Do you think you can improve? 3.) Fordham at sticker is rough ITE especially with the NY COL. People are going to advise against it. 4.) I don't have much else to say. I would probably pay sticker for something in the Fordham range but I have a shit gpa and that's impossible to improve so I'm going to have to settle if I want to go to LS.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:19 pm

emjay wrote:ITE, I am worried that I will leave even a T50 like Fordham with no job prospects and a ton of debt.
Looking to do biglaw in NYC.
Unless you retake and get a 168+ for T14, yes you should find something else to do with your life. You're literally points away from T14.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Far better off hitting 169 and getting Cornell for NY Biglaw.

emjay

New

Post by emjay » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 pm

I am retaking in December, that said, there's no guarantee I'll score higher, even though my PTs are in the low 170s range. Also, I'd be applying in late Dec/early Jan so don't know how that will work out even if I do score my average 172. I guess I could wait for next cycle and apply early if things don't work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tartugas

New

Post by tartugas » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:20 pm

1. Your all or nothing attitude is a far bigger impediment to your future success than your scores are. 2. Those numbers can potentially get you $ at other area schools. If you want to go to law school for some other reason than wanting to land a big law job you should do more research into your options. 3. FWIW - Are all the acronyms really necessary? I am seriously concerned that law schools journals are going to be filled with text speak sooner or later. LOL.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I'd consider Cardozo with a full ride with your numbers. You'll have less of a chance at big law, but at least you won't have any debt.

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:30 pm

2014 wrote:Far better off hitting 169 and getting Cornell for NY Biglaw.
\

Cornell would be far from a guarantee even with a 169 with that GPA

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:31 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I'd consider Cardozo with a full ride with your numbers. You'll have less of a chance at big law, but at least you won't have any debt.

Except for the fact that you're living in the most expensive city in the United States.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Dex wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I'd consider Cardozo with a full ride with your numbers. You'll have less of a chance at big law, but at least you won't have any debt.

Except for the fact that you're living in the most expensive city in the United States.
Haaa COL in NYC.

I agree with the comments on this Fordham or bust attitude...

A Dexter tar :shock: - love!!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

TITCR

IMO - Fordham is on the way out.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Negative attitude + obvious lack of passion for being lawyer = just quit bro

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Gatriel wrote:
TITCR

Just out of curiosity (for transparency, I'm a 1L at Fordham, happy about it, carefully calculated risk/job prospects), why do you think this, Gatriel? This is NOT a leading question - I'm honestly interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Dex wrote:

Well, I was assuming that OP is going to live in NYC anyways. Also if OP has a finance/accounting background, then living in NY won't be such a bad idea despite the COL. If OP can't get a job after LS, then he/she can still get an accounting/finance job which are still relatively easy to come by as long as you come from a somewhat respectable UG. Living in NY will at least open up some other options depending on OP's background.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Gatriel wrote:
TITCR

+1

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:43 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Gatriel wrote:
TITCR

+1
I think the opposite is true. The ny/fordham job market has rebounded well compared to the rest of the country. Unless you are referring to something other than jobs (distance of lockers from urinals? not having cupcakes?), but that's really what law school is about.

op, I would think long and hard before committing to fordham w/ no scholly, or any non t6 with no scholly for that matter. It is just a lot of debt.

yay for finals procrastination

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:33 pm

It seems like given your relative lack of interest in the legal profession, the safest bet might be to take a big scholarship at a T2 like BLS, Cardozo or Rutgers, so that if worse comes to worst you can quit and not be in piles of debt. Given this level of ambivalence, borrowing $200,000 to go to Fordham seems like a MONUMENTALLY bad idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:36 am

icouldbuyu wrote:
Gatriel wrote:
TITCR

+1
+1million

This school is a true TTT now. It's on it's way out. Now that the biglaw hiring model is crushed forever, Fordham grads will have trouble finding ANY law job. Anyone who pays a penny to go to this school should be examined.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 am

Columbia Law wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Gatriel wrote: TITCR

+1
+1million

This school is a true TTT now. It's on it's way out. Now that the biglaw hiring model is crushed forever, Fordham grads will have trouble finding ANY law job. Anyone who pays a penny to go to this school should be examined.
Um...Wow. LOL.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:01 am

Agree with the previous poster who trashed your all or nothing approach.

Fordham is not worth sticker. You'd have to be batshit crazy to pay $200k for that degree.

Why are you so preoccupied with improving your LSAT to get into a T14? If you haven't heard, T14 isn't the ticket to success anymore. You should be retaking in December to boost scholarship offers. As long as you want to be a lawyer, go to the best school that offers you at least a half-scholarship (preferably more than that). Apply broadly. Your numbers will be really attractive to schools 30 and up. Take advantage of that.

The "go to the best school you get into" mantra is dead. Instead, go to the best school that will allow you to keep your cumulative debt below six figures (cumulative debt below six figures usu. means monthly loan payment of <$750, which is quite manageable, even working in GOV'T/PI).

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 am

emjay wrote:I just barely have the numbers for Fordham (167/3.52), but that is the absolute best I can do. ITE, I am worried that I will leave even a T50 like Fordham with no job prospects and a ton of debt.

I really want to go to law school, but I'd rather not be poor. Looking to do biglaw in NYC.
I know a lot of people on here are T14 or bust, but I am just curious to see what everyone thinks.

if you want a career? try accounting. Get a masters degree in accounting. People are actually hiring in accounting.

Retake.... At least get into vandy. Don't go any lower than vandy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am

I wouldn't go to Fordham at sticker ITE

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am

Kswizzie wrote:
\

Cornell would be far from a guarantee even with a 169 with that GPA
I agree, didn't mean to insenuate that it would be a sure thing, but the chances based on last year's LSN (signs point to this year being the same or easier of a cycle than last year) are pretty solid at 169+

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

policestate1234 wrote:I wouldn't go to Fordham at sticker ITEEVER
FTFY

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:13 am

Columbia Law wrote:
policestate1234 wrote:I wouldn't go to Fordham at sticker ITEEVER
FTFY

Columbia don't you have a brother at Fordham? I mean, I agree with you to a degree, but I thought I remember you bringing that up when you were bashing Fordham in other threads.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”