Rutgers Newark - An epic joke... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gilstevexxx

New

Rutgers Newark - An epic joke...

Post by gilstevexxx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:16 pm

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/

Check the links above, and you will realize that Rutgers Newark has got almost a similar employment statistics as Northwestern. Oh right, this is true! You know what, forget about T14, send your apps to Rutgers Newark, and just wait for big money! Best luck!

justadude55

Silver

Re: Rutgers Newark - An epic joke...

Post by justadude55 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm

gilstevexxx wrote:http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/career-de ... statistics

Check the links above, and you will realize that Rutgers Newark has got almost a similar employment statistics as Northwestern. Oh right, this is true! You know what, forget about T14, send your apps to Rutgers Newark, and just wait for big money! Best luck!
those rutgers stats weren't overly impressive, and how is that student making 112k in academia right out of law school?

on the other end, NW being the best for salaries is kind of misleading IMO, because they go out of their way to take people who already have job (i.e. money making experience before LS). this is to say that these people are on average already better at making $ and maybe at presenting themselves than are their peers at the other t-14. this doesn't mean in 5 yrs, they're still #1 when their peers catch their experience.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:46 pm

justadude55 wrote:

those rutgers stats weren't overly impressive, and how is that student making 112k in academia right out of law school?

on the other end, NW being the best for salaries is kind of misleading IMO, because they go out of their way to take people who already have job (i.e. money making experience before LS). this is to say that these people are on average already better at making $ and maybe at presenting themselves than are their peers at the other t-14. this doesn't mean in 5 yrs, they're still #1 when their peers catch their experience.
So you're saying that at T-0 NW people do better because they have better experience, but that at T-5 they no longer have more experience? Or that, once in the legal field, their prior experience becomes obsolete and everything starts from scratch? Both these propositions sound kind of, idk, silly. Though the first is almost certainly more untenable than the second.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:27 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

So you're saying that at T-0 NW people do better because they have better experience, but that at T-5 they no longer have more experience? Or that, once in the legal field, their prior experience becomes obsolete and everything starts from scratch? Both these propositions sound kind of, idk, silly. Though the first is almost certainly more untenable than the second.

i'm saying harvard and yale take kids that are probably a bit more intelligent where as nw takes people who are very smart with career experience. i am saying it does not start from scratch at all, and the nw graduate with a bit of an advantage because their past corporate experience makes them a little more attractive than a really smart kid with no business experience. this doesn't mean the school by itself is better than HYSCCNMVP.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 am

Nice first post, bro. Were you one of the few without a job? They gave you a complete breakdown of where everyone went, with salaries and employers. Seems pretty legit to me. A lot more legit than just throwing out "92% employed within 9 months, median salary $120k" which is what a lot of schools seem to do. What would you prefer Rutgers-Newark do differently?
Last edited by king3780 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:47 am

justadude55 wrote:

Can't say specifically why someone from Class of 2009 is making $112k in academia, but you can't assume that's legal academia. I had a classmate in the night program at Rutgers Law who was already a professor of public policy, so I'm sure if he kept his job after getting his JD it would show up as working in academia.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:14 am

Rutgers-Newark is a fine school and a great place to have a legal education.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:37 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:Rutgers-Newark is a fine school and a great place to have a legal education.
Seems pretty "meh" to me.

--LinkRemoved--

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 am

beachbum wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:Rutgers-Newark is a fine school and a great place to have a legal education.

--LinkRemoved--

It is all relative though to the individual. Rutgers-Newark is well known in New Jersey as a good school, offers an education at a reasonable tuition, and is located in a nice city, close to public transportation and graduates would probably have a lower debt load.

The salary aspect again is all based on the individual, big law or midsized or public jobs are avaliable with in state and New York City jobs across the river.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:26 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:
beachbum wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

It is all relative though to the individual. Rutgers-Newark is well known in New Jersey as a good school, offers an education at a reasonable tuition, and is located in a nice city, close to public transportation and graduates would probably have a lower debt load.

The salary aspect again is all based on the individual, big law or midsized or public jobs are avaliable with in state and New York City jobs across the river.
What do you even mean by "it's relative to the individual"? You then go on to talk about the school as a whole.

Also, the question is not whether the jobs are available (first off, they're largely not right now). The right question is whether the job is available to you as a graduate of some school. That is "relative to the individual," but job opportunities are largely informed by the school you will graduate from and the GPA you earn at that school. How many people in a school are these biglaw and midlaw jobs available to? Not everyone, especially from Rutgers Newark.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:Rutgers-Newark... is located in a nice city
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:32 am

rad law wrote:
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
--ImageRemoved--

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 am

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Yeah buddy, that's what your average Newark resident looks like. :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:33 am

rad law wrote:
I used to live near Newark. That place gives Jersey a really bad name.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
rad law wrote:
Yeah it is a completely shit city. I don't know what this guy is thinking. However I am probably attending, and am aware of course that graduates everywhere aren't doing as well as we'd all like. That said, I don't think Rutgers is any worse off than any other T2. And being in a large market, with a ton of alumni and respect in at least New Jersey, and no worse hiring in NYC than other NY T2's, along with the low tuition and leniency with NJ residency for out-of-state students, I don't think Rutgers-Newark is a terrible choice. Especially with a scholarship.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 am

champ33 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
rad law wrote:
Yeah it is a completely shit city. I don't know what this guy is thinking. However I am probably attending, and am aware of course that graduates everywhere aren't doing as well as we'd all like. That said, I don't think Rutgers is any worse off than any other T2. And being in a large market, with a ton of alumni and respect in at least New Jersey, and no worse hiring in NYC than other NY T2's, along with the low tuition and leniency with NJ residency for out-of-state students, I don't think Rutgers-Newark is a terrible choice. Especially with a scholarship.

+1 but I'd love some unadulterated employment stats. I want to know the % that received clerkships but unemployed thereafter.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

champ33 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
rad law wrote:
This - minus the attending part.

RU-N does very well for itself and outperforms its ranking by a lot in NJ. Basically its competition is SH and Rutgers costs a third of that school so it isn't a bad choice at all IF you want to work in NJ and are not biglaw or bust.
Last edited by JCFindley on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am

I am a recent RU grad. RU is an undervalued/underrated school who provides a strong education but suffers rankings-wise because of its admissions approach and lack of alumni contributions. I'd say the biggest knock against it is that the admin/career services do little/nothing to sell the majority of students to the local NJ legal community. If you miss out on OCI (which is the vast majority of the class), their boilerplate response is get an NJ Superior Court clerkship. And you're absolutely correct - getting the employment stats after those clerkships have ended is non-existent. So, in the end it's difficult to gauge how RU students transition over a year out of school.

And yes, their general employment stats are rigged. Some of the big firm names that they list have not legitimately recruited from RU since 2006. I found the Career Services Office's entire staff to be completely incompetent and unhelpful in trying to obtain employment which I acquired on my own. Recent alumni have stated that they will not give back to RU specifically because the CSO is primarily focused on helping the top 10 students per class find employment and everyone else is on their own. As far as the educational quality is concerned, it's terrific.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:
champ33 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
rad law wrote:

+1 but I'd love some unadulterated employment stats. I want to know the % that received clerkships but unemployed thereafter.
EPIC NECRO 10/10

sadsituationJD

Bronze

Post by sadsituationJD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Gotta really ROTFL at those famous NJ "clerkships" touted by toilets like R-N and Seton Hall.

As a NJ lawyer, I can tell you that those so-called "clerkships" are basically dead-end. A clerk in Bergen County Superior has been asking (begging) me for a job since March (I speak with him on the phone a lot as the judge he clerks for is handling a rather complex, multi-party case that we have right now).

I actually took this dood out for a beer recently after court on a Friday, and he said almost all his fellow clerks are still unemployed (and those clerkships end this month on Aug 30). He already regrets lawschool and is doing the mass-mail thing since the judge won't help him (fyi most NJ Super. Ct. judges are lazy, nasty people - the job is a political reward and not based on any factor other than kissing the right asses and being a shyster).

Even at in state, R-N is a complete waste for most of its students. The tiny handful who do get NYC Biglaw are mostly minorities/affirmative action hires, so if you're a URM and kill it at R-N you have probably a 5-10% shot at Biglaw.

The rest will at best wash out into typical rinky-dink NJ shitlaw offices and earn 30-40 K a year starting, if they can even find a shitlaw office to hire them. This school and market is downright gruesome.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Why don't you give the poor kid a job?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sadsituationJD

Bronze

Post by sadsituationJD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:15 pm

I use an LPO in the Phillipines to churn my shitpaper:

--LinkRemoved--

The attorney I share office suite space with turned me on to this place. He uses them to churn his collections complaints and even has them drafting SJ motions and such. His firm used to have 3 recent grads as associates, but now he gets by with one para and has this LPO churn all the other papers & pleadings. He also uses another one in Bangalore to churn Ch 7 BK pleadings on a volume basis.

A big problem is that Lexis/Westlaw turn off your student accounts for the summer now, so the only thing of value a student could bring (i.e their Westlaw password) is now gone lol. We had to shitcan the kid we had planned to hire for the summer once we found out he didn't have summer access. It really sucks. That's why now a lot of shitlaw offices just use the LPO's- they don't charge extra for Lexis access and always seem to find the cases etc I need, and do it quickly and cheaply. No reason to pay some TTT associate like $15 to $20 an hour when you can outsource for way cheaper and not have to be bothered with all the questions and nagging, etc.

A landlord-tenant mill that I went up against last year is a big fan of the outsourcing- that guy told me he gets 200 complaints churned a month for like $250 flat fee. They even email them right to his process server and do a lot of the follow-up etc. The whole scene sucks for you guys though, since you can't really compete with their prices and experience/ease of use.

Trouble with young lawyers/clerks is that they ask too many questions and look too deeply into everything. Law is for the most part a cookie-cutter, cut n' paste operation that requires lots of "drone" work and very little thinking/original thought/analysis. Sorry if this disappoints you, but its the truth.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:
I use an LPO in the Phillipines to churn my shitpaper:

--LinkRemoved--

The attorney I share office suite space with turned me on to this place. He uses them to churn his collections complaints and even has them drafting SJ motions and such. His firm used to have 3 recent grads as associates, but now he gets by with one para and has this LPO churn all the other papers & pleadings. He also uses another one in Bangalore to churn Ch 7 BK pleadings on a volume basis.

A big problem is that Lexis/Westlaw turn off your student accounts for the summer now, so the only thing of value a student could bring (i.e their Westlaw password) is now gone lol. We had to shitcan the kid we had planned to hire for the summer once we found out he didn't have summer access. It really sucks. That's why now a lot of shitlaw offices just use the LPO's- they don't charge extra for Lexis access and always seem to find the cases etc I need, and do it quickly and cheaply. No reason to pay some TTT associate like $15 to $20 an hour when you can outsource for way cheaper and not have to be bothered with all the questions and nagging, etc.

A landlord-tenant mill that I went up against last year is a big fan of the outsourcing- that guy told me he gets 200 complaints churned a month for like $250 flat fee. They even email them right to his process server and do a lot of the follow-up etc. The whole scene sucks for you guys though, since you can't really compete with their prices and experience/ease of use.

Trouble with young lawyers/clerks is that they ask too many questions and look too deeply into everything. Law is for the most part a cookie-cutter, cut n' paste operation that requires lots of "drone" work and very little thinking/original thought/analysis. Sorry if this disappoints you, but its the truth.
I used to like you but now you are just a boomer shithead. Also lol at that website, it reads like a scam.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:02 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:

Probably going to suck for you as well pretty soon as the clients will eventually find these places and skip the over priced douchebag middlemen like yourself.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:16 pm

JCFindley wrote:Probably going to suck for you as well pretty soon as the clients will eventually find these places and skip the over priced douchebag middlemen like yourself.
Isn't the middleman required, lest there be unauthorized practice? This strikes me as a bit different than the service Legal Zoom offers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”