Michigan ($$) vs Penn (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
absolutazn87

Silver

Michigan ($$) vs Penn (sticker)

Post by absolutazn87 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm currently applying ED to Penn with a 173/3.57. UG major: engineering.

I took the LSAT three times (average score 168) which is why I didn't ED NYU because of their policy of averaging scores.

I got into Michigan last week. Based on LSN data from last year, almost universally people with my numbers were able to get at least 50k from Michigan.

I visited Penn back in October and loved it. I'm really attracted to their Wharton certificate program and their entrepreneurship legal clinic among others. I want to work in NYC biglaw, possibly IP, not really looking into PI.

But is it dumb to turn down $$ from a peer school like Michigan and pay sticker at Penn. Should I withdraw my ED and change to RD and see how things play out with Michigan scholly and if there's a shot at getting into NYU RD?

im_blue

Gold

Re: Michigan ($$) vs Penn (sticker)

Post by im_blue » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Absolutely it would be dumb to turn down both Michigan $$ and NYU (which is very likely) for sticker at Penn. With an engineering degree, you also have a decent shot at Columbia.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Dumb move EDing to Penn with those numbers.

The problem now is if you change ED to RD at penn, your ass is waitlisted. But Mich with $$ is a lot better than Penn at sticker. And you do have a shot at NYU. You also have a shot at Columbia and Uchi.

Withdraw from that ED, but don't expect to get into Penn.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Dumb move EDing to Penn with those numbers.

The problem now is if you change ED to RD at penn, your ass is waitlisted. But Mich with $$ is a lot better than Penn at sticker. And you do have a shot at NYU. You also have a shot at Columbia and Uchi.

Withdraw from that ED, but don't expect to get into Penn.
shame since OP probably would have been able to get Penn to match or best Mich's offer.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

if you dont withdraw your ED to penn you will be paying sticker at penn or sitting out this year.

Withdraw your ED, forget about Penn and see which school makes you the best offer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:I'm currently applying ED to Penn with a 173/3.57. UG major: engineering.

I took the LSAT three times (average score 168) which is why I didn't ED NYU because of their policy of averaging scores.

I got into Michigan last week. Based on LSN data from last year, almost universally people with my numbers were able to get at least 50k from Michigan.

I visited Penn back in October and loved it. I'm really attracted to their Wharton certificate program and their entrepreneurship legal clinic among others. I want to work in NYC biglaw, possibly IP, not really looking into PI.

But is it dumb to turn down $$ from a peer school like Michigan and pay sticker at Penn. Should I withdraw my ED and change to RD and see how things play out with Michigan scholly and if there's a shot at getting into NYU RD?
As long as you're willing to place Penn out of the picture entirely, this is a smart move.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 am

Word your ED withdrawal carefully. Make up a reason like your finances have changed and you can no longer justify applying to a school without considering for aid.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 am

2014 wrote:Word your ED withdrawal carefully. Make up a reason like your finances have changed and you can no longer justify applying to a school without considering for aid.
They may give him the usual "ED has nothing to do with how much merit aid is offered" line
but it's worth it to withdraw, since michigan $$ is objectively better anyways even than penn $$

question, did your $$ offer come with your acceptance to michigan?

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:59 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
2014 wrote:Word your ED withdrawal carefully. Make up a reason like your finances have changed and you can no longer justify applying to a school without considering for aid.
They may give him the usual "ED has nothing to do with how much merit aid is offered" line
but it's worth it to withdraw, since michigan $$ is objectively better anyways even than penn $$

question, did your $$ offer come with your acceptance to michigan?
Not yet. But if you do an LSN search for last year of people with LSATs from 172-174 and GPA 3.5-3.7, almost all have gotten $$. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... =3&type=jd

Btw, thanks guys for the advice! I'm withdrawing my ED from Penn tomorrow. Hopefully, we can still be friends on a regular decision basis :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:59 am

I take Michigan with $$ over Penn sticker by a LOT. Not close.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Good luck with RD! Maybe they won't penalize you. You are still interested after all. Although, you should probably have written a statement to include with your file on why you withdrew ED as well as calling.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 pm

For NYC, I'd take Penn sticker over Michigan with $50k, but with your numbers you can get NYU so I'd take that instead.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:28 pm

rayiner wrote:For NYC, I'd take Penn sticker over Michigan with $50k, but with your numbers you can get NYU so I'd take that instead.
This is starting to get ridiculous. You're almost reaching QO status with your recent anti-Michigan trolling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:37 pm

rayiner wrote:For NYC, I'd take Penn sticker over Michigan with $50k, but with your numbers you can get NYU so I'd take that instead.

LMAO!!!! The US News ranking obsession has hit a new low! The crazy thing about this sentiment is that it's mainly based off of 1. US News and 2. autoadmit/tls hearsay

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

LMAO!!!! The US News ranking obsession has hit a new low! The crazy thing about this sentiment is that it's mainly based off of 1. US News and 2. autoadmit/tls hearsay
Penn and Michigan are still peer schools, right?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Not according to rayiner, US News, and autoadmit, the absolute authorities on law school placement!!! LMAO

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:44 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
This is starting to get ridiculous. You're almost reaching QO status with your recent anti-Michigan trolling.
Note the bolded.

$50k is good money but it's not game-changing IMHO. On the other hand, based on my information and public statistics, Penn places better into selective NYC firms.

If my goal were the NYC market, I'd certainly trade $50k for a measurably better shot at a V10 firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ninoprudence

New

Post by Ninoprudence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Call Penn admissions and explain the situation.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I'm going to say yes, but consider where the rationale for that idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes from: the TLS "sub-tiers chart" which has YHS > CCN > MVPB > DNCG. Isn't that more stupid and arbitrary than the USNWR ranking?

Markets and firms don't follow the TLS rankings. They have school preferences. NY firms like Penn and Duke better than their "sub-tier" would indicate, just as Chicago firms like NU better than its "sub-tier" indicates. These schools send a ton of grads into the same markets year after year and have bigger alumni bases in those markets which results in a stronger reputation in those markets.

When Wachtell decided to recruit at Penn but not Michigan, I don't think they hesitated thinking "but wait, TLS says that Michigan and Penn are peer schools!"

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 pm

rayiner wrote:I'm going to say yes, but consider where the rationale for that idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes from: the TLS "sub-tiers chart" which has YHS > CCN > MVPB > DNCG. Isn't that more stupid and arbitrary than the USNWR ranking?

Markets and firms don't follow the TLS rankings. They have school preferences. NY firms like Penn and Duke better than their "sub-tier" would indicate, just as Chicago firms like NU better than its "sub-tier" indicates. These schools send a ton of grads into the same markets year after year and have bigger alumni bases in those markets which results in a stronger reputation in those markets.

When Wachtell decided to recruit at Penn but not Michigan, I don't think they hesitated thinking "but wait, TLS says that Michigan and Penn are peer schools!"
Please if anything the idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes more from hard data than TLS tiers. Frankly the NYU being with CC and Penn being above every school outside of HYS and CCN thing was generated by TLS. For years Michigan has actually been scoring higher than Penn in both lawyer/judge assessment scores (the most important stat that US News tracks) and even the less important academic assessment scores. Michigan was also ahead in the most recent NLJ placement numbers (the most recent reliable placement stats we have, unlike TLS hearsay and autoadmit threads). On top of that Michigan has for years out done Penn in federal clerkships and much much larger number of fed judges have Michigan JD degrees. Now I don't say all that to say that Michigan is better, but just that there's more than enough hard data to point towards Michigan and Penn being peers.

Hell when you start looking at the hard data and let the TLS tiers thing go this TLS sentiment of NYU being better than every top 14 except HYS and CC starts looking very shaky. The truth is that TLS (and rayiner in this example) have an extremely narrow definition of placement : NYC firm placement. That is the only measure that most of TLS looks at when determining placement. That's why he and a lot of TLS rates Columbia, NYU, Penn, Duke and Cornell so highly, and often say things like "UVA and Michigan place worse than Cornell and NYU" and "take NYU at sticker over 100K at Michigan or Boalt etc.".

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:02 pm

rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I'm going to say yes, but consider where the rationale for that idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes from: the TLS "sub-tiers chart" which has YHS > CCN > MVPB > DNCG. Isn't that more stupid and arbitrary than the USNWR ranking?

Yeah that makes a difference for the 1 Penn grad that has a shot at Wachtell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 pm

absoluteazn87 wrote:I want to work in NYC biglaw
rayiner wrote:For NYC, I'd take Penn
BruceWayne wrote:The truth is that TLS (and rayiner in this example) have an extremely narrow definition of placement : NYC firm placement.
Why yes, the most pertinent metric for a guy who wants NYC biglaw is indeed NYC firm placement. Thank you for pointing that out.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:I'm going to say yes, but consider where the rationale for that idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes from: the TLS "sub-tiers chart" which has YHS > CCN > MVPB > DNCG. Isn't that more stupid and arbitrary than the USNWR ranking?

Please if anything the idea that Michigan and Penn are peer schools comes more from hard data than TLS tiers. Frankly the NYU being with CC and Penn being above every school outside of HYS and CCN thing was generated by TLS. For years Michigan has actually been scoring higher than Penn in both lawyer/judge assessment scores (the most important stat that US News tracks) and even the less important academic assessment scores. Michigan was also ahead in the most recent NLJ placement numbers (the most recent reliable placement stats we have, unlike TLS hearsay and autoadmit threads). On top of that Michigan has for years out done Penn in federal clerkships and much much larger number of fed judges have Michigan JD degrees. Now I don't say all that to say that Michigan is better, but just that there's more than enough hard data to point towards Michigan and Penn being peers.

Hell when you start looking at the hard data and let the TLS tiers thing go this TLS sentiment of NYU being better than every top 14 except HYS and CC starts looking very shaky. The truth is that TLS (and rayiner in this example) have an extremely narrow definition of placement : NYC firm placement. That is the only measure that most of TLS looks at when determining placement. That's why he and a lot of TLS rates Columbia, NYU, Penn, Duke and Cornell so highly, and often say things like "UVA and Michigan place worse than Cornell and NYU" and "take NYU at sticker over 100K at Michigan or Boalt etc.".
Did you read the first words of his original post? It says "For NYC..". None of you have disputed that so far.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:17 pm

rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

You're actually pulling out the Wachtell argument? Wow.

Michigan consistently placed V10s around top 1/3 in better times, and this year we've placed NYC V10 (non-IP/LR, too) as low as median. Penn sends a higher percentage of their class to NYC and firms might be used to taking more Penn students because of that, but that's largely because Michigan has a much better spread of target markets. For the majority of people seeking biglaw at Michigan, NYC is and always has been the "safety" market. This "stronger" NYC placement that you're speaking of really isn't all that much to brag about, and it certainly doesn't demonstrate any particularly impressive attribute that Penn possesses and Michigan lacks. I bet your ass dollar for dollar that Michigan would place just as well in NYC if we channeled that market as hard as Penn does instead of sending so many others to DC/Chicago/Bay Area. The fact that Penn sends 61% into NYC and only 7% to the Pacific (LA/SF/Portland/Seattle) and 4% to the midwest (Chicago) may suggest to you that they have the edge in NYC placement; to me, I recognize that NYC is the easiest market and those other markets where Michigan places significantly better are all significantly tougher. I hardly think it's a stretch to suggest that these students wouldn't place just as easily into NYC if they wanted to fall back on NYC.

Your Penn sticker over Michigan at $50k argument is a joke.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Not according to rayiner, US News, and autoadmit, the absolute authorities on law school placement!!! LMAO
DBrooks, you lost your right to evaluate metric quality when you said pulling the same quality of girls made your ugly, fat ass as attractive as your roommate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”