GW worth EDing for with a 170/3.9 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JakeL

Bronze

Re: GW worth EDing for with a 170/3.9

Post by JakeL » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:57 pm

YOU ARE SO MATURE!!!

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 pm

FuManChusco wrote:you are so gay

Everyone else, stop yelling at each other or I'll card you too. Thanks.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 pm

AreJay711 wrote:No because the thing on LSAC says you need to be active in the tribe or have the identification card. Maybe that was a pretty epic fail though. I did check it on UCLA though because they had two and one was for data purposes and didn't have to write a tribal affiliation on it,
I wouldn't say it was epic fail I would just say I would have done things differently (I don't think they would give you much of a boost without a diversity statement if you had checked the box but it does let them know that you're NA and leave the possibility open for a boost). Good for you for not just being a "box checker" though. Anyway, I don't want this to turn into a URM debate if I say something that someone doesn't like haha.

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:12 pm

More to the point of the OP's question, I really want to say it depends on your situation. I don't think full rides should be taken lightly. I'm guessing you'll def get into some T14 schools (possibly with $), and if that's what you want, then don't ED. However some people are very debt adverse. Others just don't want to do biglaw. If you're one of those people, then GW may be worth the full scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 pm

I wouldn't just because it seems like they give out similar scholarships to your numbers anyway.
Last edited by OrdinarilySkilled on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 pm

AreJay711 wrote: No because the thing on LSAC says you need to be active in the tribe or have the identification card. Maybe that was a pretty epic fail though. I did check it on UCLA though because they had two and one was for data purposes and didn't have to write a tribal affiliation on it,
That's actually really funny.
The ONLY school that does require Tribal enrollment IS UCLA. There is a law in California preventing them from giving you a boost for any other reason.

Like I said before. Many Tribes don't have "Tribal cards." Additionally, most places don't ask. But you need a DS for them to care, so don't worry about other's gaming the system. In order to do that, they would have to write a huge BS DS that, no doubt, would come off as really fake, because you can't fake the passion and knowledge someone has from years of interest in their Tribal community.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:24 pm

BTW guys, this whole issue of Tribal enrollment and community involvement has been discussed like a trillion times on TLS already (although admittedly with equal or more ignorant comments).
Seach, or, honestly, PM me. I do actually know what I'm talking about. And I know some people who have already gone through the process on TLS who are NDN who i can get you in contact with.
Don't post about NDN stuff on TLS. People go ape-shit.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Just because you have good numbers for a school does not you will be in with scholarship money. $$ is a lot harder to predict than admissions and GW is stingy. So is GULC for that matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm

IAFG wrote:Just because you have good numbers for a school does not you will be in with scholarship money. $$ is a lot harder to predict than admissions and GW is stingy. So is GULC for that matter.
UM is automatic pretty much. 45k for 170/3.9

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:44 pm

IAFG wrote:Just because you have good numbers for a school does not you will be in with scholarship money. $$ is a lot harder to predict than admissions and GW is stingy. So is GULC for that matter.

This is a good point. If you need guaranteed $$, GW may be your best bet. You may get a full ride plus first year room and board if you apply RD, or you may get nothing.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Possibly more? I know of at least one person who got a Darrow w similar.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm

IAFG wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Darrow is a different process. Hey I won't complain if I get an invite. The run of the mill Dean's Scholarship is more formula based, 45k for my set of numbers. I think OP has a good chance for decent money at much better schools. I didn't apply to anything below USC, and I don't think OP should either (same numbers)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 am

IAFG wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Darrows are not purely numbers-based. A Darrow invite depends on soft factors like previous public interest work (and possibly URM status). I know a 177, 3.8 with a half ride but no Darrow.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 am

I think that having an Ivy UG helps alot with getting $$$ because schools know that those people in general have a tone more debt than those of us from good ol state universities.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 am

Ragged wrote:I think that having an Ivy UG helps alot with getting $$$ because schools know that those people in general have a tone more debt than those of us from good ol state universities.
Many ivies have no-loan fin aid, so they actually may have less debt (if they are not from rich families - if they are, then there is no need to subsidize).

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:10 am

r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:I think that having an Ivy UG helps alot with getting $$$ because schools know that those people in general have a tone more debt than those of us from good ol state universities.
Many ivies have no-loan fin aid, so they actually may have less debt (if they are not from rich families - if they are, then there is no need to subsidize).
How does non-loan aid work?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Ragged wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Say if your EFC is 0, and COA is 60000. After all the free-aid from Fed/State is exhausted, university gives you a grant equaling the rest. So COA - EFC - other finaid (no loan) = grant amount. You can take out discretionary loans, but you can do without.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 pm

?! being heavily in debt from UG is definitely not a factor and if it were it would not be limited to Ivy since there are lots of stupidly expensive private schools.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
and discrimination (now or back in the day) is not what the boost is about. It's about having the same percentage of a race/ethnicity in law school as in the overall population...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought one of the things Gruter or Gratz (or both) basically said was that trying to snap the school population of minorities in line with the general population of minorities was not legit...

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:36 am

r6_philly wrote:
Ragged wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Say if your EFC is 0, and COA is 60000. After all the free-aid from Fed/State is exhausted, university gives you a grant equaling the rest. So COA - EFC - other finaid (no loan) = grant amount. You can take out discretionary loans, but you can do without.
Sounds like a sweet deal. Law schools should do the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Ragged wrote: Sounds like a sweet deal. Law schools should do the same.
I don't think we are quite to the point where we have to subsidize professional schools yet ;) You still have the option to accept merit scholarships from a lower ranked school.

But the no-loan policy is sweet. It makes it a lot better to ED in order to get the ED and/or legacy boost.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”