Rank based on name prestige Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JG Hall

Bronze

Re: Rank based on name prestige

Post by JG Hall » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
artichoke wrote:Really? No one here noticed that that gallup poll is for schools in general, NOT law schools??
Uh....
AreJay711 wrote:Yea but that is universities not law schools
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Yes, except that list has nothing to do with law schools. Georgetown gets only 1 nod, and I'm fairly positive Georgetown has significantly more prestige in the lay person's perspective of law schools compared to general universities.
Michael Clayton strikes again.

MW
Because I'm in the mood to blanket an entire demo, for some reason I feel like anyone who paid close enough attention to Michael Clayton to retain Georgetown Law probably has a better grasp on higher education prestige than your typical Joe the Plumber American.

The Good Wife, on the other hand...

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Georgetown
Harvard
UConn
Yale
Chicago
New York University

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm pretty sure these were the rankings in my head before I did my research:

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Stanford
4. Princeton
5. (All other Ivy)
6. Duke
7. Georgetown
8. Northwestern

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Harvard Yale Princeton Stanford tied at #1.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

I never realized Georgetown had such prestige. It certainly doesn't carry a whole lot in the Midwest, IMO. Good basketball program but not really known as an academic power.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:I never realized Georgetown had such prestige. It certainly doesn't carry a whole lot in the Midwest, IMO. Good basketball program but not really known as an academic power.
As a little kid, I knew of two universities; Harvard and Georgetown.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Georgetown
EDIT: (Actually, Notre Dame probably goes here at 5. The constant bitching about how their academic standards make it harder to compete in football gives them a big boost).
Columbia/Duke (tie)
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm

CG614 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I never realized Georgetown had such prestige. It certainly doesn't carry a whole lot in the Midwest, IMO. Good basketball program but not really known as an academic power.

before doing any law school research i would have thought:

HYS
Columbia
Penn
Duke
Cornell
the rest
Last edited by MissLucky on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:34 am

CG614 wrote:
This shocks me, but I suppose it shouldn't. Northwestern carries that sort of prestige in the MW. DF said it best a few pages back: lay prestige is very regional.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 am

romothesavior wrote:
CG614 wrote:
This shocks me, but I suppose it shouldn't. Northwestern carries that sort of prestige in the MW. DF said it best a few pages back: lay prestige is very regional.
Agreed. Not sure why those were the two schools that stood out to me. I am from NY, maybe it was because Ewing was from Georgetown. I used to like the Knicks a lot.

If I had to make a list now, ranking law schools solely on the lay prestige of the university as a whole, as I see it, it would go like this: (I have lived in the northeast and mid-Atlantic)

Harvard
Yale
Georgetown
Columbia

Berkley
Stanford
Cornell

Penn
UVA
Duke

NYU
Michigan
Chicago

Northwestern
UCLA
UT
Rest

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

If you quantify Penn as "not Penn State, you know, the Ivy", then its lay prestige would triple.

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

r6_philly wrote:If you quantify Penn as "not Penn State, you know, the Ivy", then its lay prestige would triple.
Yeah...but no. Nothing about Penn says prestige to me, State or not.

MW

Edit: Actually, a little bit of prestige.
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 am

Nightrunner wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Same here, and I grew up in the Midwest.

I didn't even know Brown existed until I was a sophomore in college.
At my old workplace, when I told people I had gotten into UVA, I swear that everyone at one point or another asked me, "If you're moving that way anyway, why don't you shoot for Georgetown?"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:If you quantify Penn as "not Penn State, you know, the Ivy", then its lay prestige would triple.
Yeah...but no. Nothing about Penn says prestige to me, State or not.

MW

Edit: Actually, a little bit of prestige.
The crest is nice. Looks good on shirts and jackets.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am

vanwinkle wrote: At my old workplace, when I told people I had gotten into UVA, I swear that everyone at one point or another asked me, "If you're moving that way anyway, why don't you shoot for Georgetown?"
I drove by UVA every other week for years. Until I picked up a copy of US News and came to TLS, I thought Georgetown was better, way better.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 am

before I read TLS for the first time a million lifetimes ago my dream law school was Georgetown...
and then that dream was demolished with a frying pan to the head

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:17 am

CG614 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Agreed. Not sure why those were the two schools that stood out to me. I am from NY, maybe it was because Ewing was from Georgetown. I used to like the Knicks a lot.
Bill Clinton graduated from Georgetown, where he also won a Rhodes Scholarship. That kind of lay prestige probably lasts for a good few decades at least.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:22 am

Cleveland perspective:

Harvard
Yale
Rest of Ivies
ND
Berkeley/Stanford/Duke/Georgetown
Big 10 Schools (with Michigan and Northwestern at the top)

Note - I had never even heard of UChicago until I started looking at law schools. However, after further inspection my high school sends several kids there each year, go figure.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:54 am

CG614 wrote:
Georgetown is the best school in D.C. = reputation. I know people in other countries that couldn't believe i turned down Gtown undergrad. If I had said Notre Dame or WUSTL they wouldn't have known what I was talking about.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 am

JPU wrote:Cleveland perspective:

Harvard
Yale
Rest of Ivies
ND

Note - I had never even heard of UChicago until I started looking at law schools. However, after further inspection my high school sends several kids there each year, go figure.
Similar situation in Detroit. Detroit is more
Harvard
Yale
Michigan
ND/Georgetown/NW
Chicago
big ten schools

sigh... should of went to ND.....

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:11 am

AreJay711 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Georgetown is the best school in D.C. = reputation. I know people in other countries that couldn't believe i turned down Gtown undergrad. If I had said Notre Dame or WUSTL they wouldn't have known what I was talking about.

I think a lot more people know ND. ND has a really good reputation outside the US...
Washu on the other hand........

Washu Ugrad is the opposite of Mich Ugrad.
Mich- excellent reputation - decent in terms of quality of ed
Wustl- decent reputation- excellent in terms of quality of ed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:21 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: At my old workplace, when I told people I had gotten into UVA, I swear that everyone at one point or another asked me, "If you're moving that way anyway, why don't you shoot for Georgetown?"
I drove by UVA every other week for years. Until I picked up a copy of US News and came to TLS, I thought Georgetown was better, way better.
Private v. Public. Even when the public school is higher ranked, the private option manages to carry more prestige.

I agree lay prestige is largely regional, but I think Notre Dame is an exception to that. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in NYC for just under a decade. Notre Dame is still highly regarded out there. In fact, they think it's such a good school that it must be located in the NE. I have had 3 adult NYers insist to me that Notre Dame is in Boston. I imagine the thought process is Notre Dame = Good [Irish] Catholic University = Boston.

PS Anyone else watch The Good Wife? Notice the shout-out to Georgetown and NYU? No love for Chicago or Northwestern... the writers must be East Coasters. ;)

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 am

Lwoods wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Private v. Public. Even when the public school is higher ranked, the private option manages to carry more prestige.

I agree lay prestige is largely regional, but I think Notre Dame is an exception to that. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in NYC for just under a decade. Notre Dame is still highly regarded out there. In fact, they think it's such a good school that it must be located in the NE. I have had 3 adult NYers insist to me that Notre Dame is in Boston. I imagine the thought process is Notre Dame = Good [Irish] Catholic University = Boston.

PS Anyone else watch The Good Wife? Notice the shout-out to Georgetown and NYU? No love for Chicago or Northwestern... the writers must be East Coasters. ;)
LOL remember the deep end? there was an associate from Case Wastern.. sometimes i think it s more random than anything else....

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 am

thexfactor wrote:
JPU wrote:Cleveland perspective:

Harvard
Yale
Rest of Ivies
ND

Similar situation in Detroit. Detroit is more
Harvard
Yale
Michigan
ND/Georgetown/NW
Chicago
big ten schools

sigh... should of went to ND.....
I gotta in north kackalacky its a whole other world down here
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
UVA
Harvard/Yale (slick yankees)
Emory

I told someone the other day I would have to go to Cornell over UNC if I got in they looked at me like I was madd.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 am

thexfactor wrote:
LOL remember the deep end? there was an associate from Case Wastern.. sometimes i think it s more random than anything else....
Yes! Haha, but at least she was first in her class... And again, Case gets the private school prestige bump.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”