Changing Residency for Tuition Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
capnb

New

Changing Residency for Tuition

Post by capnb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I've seen some other posts on this topic, however, there seems to be conflicting advice. I've seen some schools that encourage moving early to establish residency (and that say all you need is to get a state license and register to vote). One of the law school websites I was looking at (in Illinois I believe) encouraged changing residency for tuition purposes and said you only had to live there for 6 months (but then you would have to wait until the next school year before using the status for tuition I think).

Other posters have said its too hard or you have to jump through hoops. Well, I'm definitely willing to jump through some hoops to save 15-30K+ so does anybody know anything helpful regarding how to take advantage of changing your residency for tuition purposes?

The other thing is, if the residency guidelines say you can't get money from your out-of-state family while establishing residency, couldn't you get it before or after (i.e. get a few thousand before you move)?
Thanks!
(States I'm Considering: CA, CO, HI, IL, IN, MI )

im_blue

Gold

Re: Changing Residency for Tuition

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm

To get residency, most states require you to live there for a full 12 months before the first day of classes, otherwise you never get it since you'll be in the state for educational purposes only. CA is a notable exception which allows anyone to get residency after being there for a year.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I live in Virginia and would like to work in D.C. I have lived in Texas less than 2 full months over the last four years. Most of my time has been spent in Virginia at my institution. Is residency a potential claim for me?

capnb

New

Post by capnb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm

If you're still in Virgina, maybe you could ask a guidance counselor there.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 pm

This is what I found for the CALIFORNIA school I am interested in: I understand that one must be instate for 366 days prior to the filing deadline to change their residency to California. (Show intent to reside there by not leaving during breaks etc.)

But I'm iffy on the financial independence part. The rules state that this is something that is enough to determine financial independence
"the student is at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the calendar year for which resident classification is requested "

Let's assume I move to California and start living there in June 2011
Let's assume I attend a UC institution for the Aug 2011- May 2012 school year and pay out of state tuition.
By June 2012 I will be able to to do this: A continuing nonresident student who wishes to be classified as a California resident must file the petition by the deadline for the applicable term. The petition for the appropriate term is available online, during the month shown below for the applicable term. Fall Term -- June petition available.

I assume my parents (who are not CA residents) will be claiming me as dependent on their taxes during law school.

However I will be 24 by Dec 31 2012 (by June 2012). Does that mean I can claim residency for 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 school years?
Even though I may be dependent on non-CA residents?

(Sorry to throw my question in with yours OP)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Question above. No, you have to be an independent. Also, why would your parents claim you on their tax return when you are in law school? Are they paying your tuition? If not, and you're taking out loans, you shouldn't let them put you down as a dependent.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm

irishman86 wrote:Re: Question above. No, you have to be an independent. Also, why would your parents claim you on their tax return when you are in law school? Are they paying your tuition? If not, and you're taking out loans, you shouldn't let them put you down as a dependent.
Thanks but I found the answer to this and being 24 is enough to be considered financially independent. And yes they will be contributing to my tuition and claiming me for 1L but not 2L and 3L.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:32 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I live in Virginia and would like to work in D.C. I have lived in Texas less than 2 full months over the last four years. Most of my time has been spent in Virginia at my institution. Is residency a potential claim for me?
For UVA, this is what determines residency:
-Drivers license/car registration
-Voter registration
-The kicker: Filing taxes in VA/not paying income taxes in other states

I emailed to ask about my particular situation and they got back to me within the day telling me what I would need to do to get residency (for me, it was refiling in VA for the last year-- annoying, but def worth it.) I recommend emailing the school to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”