What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheOcho

Bronze

Re: What is the best school for practicing law in Pennsylvania?

Post by TheOcho » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:25 pm

I kind of appreciate Veyron's frankness. Moderation wouldn't hurt, however.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:28 pm

TheOcho wrote:I kind of appreciate Veyron's frankness. Moderation wouldn't hurt, however.
Rad Law is frank. Veyron just enjoys insulting people.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Veyron wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:What is funny about this conversation is that the place that I've encountered the most racism was D.C. - people there are awful.

"You're a 1L at Penn, but you can't figure out how to format quotes on a message board?"

Yah dood, I used the time I saved not learning how to format responses studying for the LSAT so that I wouldn't get a 166.
Clearly, you didn't spend enough time acquiring social skills.
It's no waste, its not like I would have time to use them as a 1L anyway. Besides, enough of my classmates are like me where I fit in irregardless. G-d I love Penn.
Sigh...

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:31 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
TheOcho wrote:I kind of appreciate Veyron's frankness. Moderation wouldn't hurt, however.
Rad Law is frank. Veyron just enjoys insulting people.
I suppose. Anyway, did OP get a sufficient answer to the question?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:45 pm

To the extent that I take pleasure in insulting people its because I have had far too many experiences with our failed educational system in which every child is told that they are special and awsome in their own way. Anyone who shows people their own shortcomings is told that they are just being negitive. The correct response to being told that you suck used to be to try to not suck so much. However, since we've re-normed our entire fucking culture now everyone feels entitled to everything, even when they haven't worked hard enough and/or aren't smart enough to get it on their own.

Then they elect democrats.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Veyron wrote:To the extent that I take pleasure in insulting people its because I have had far too many experiences with our failed educational system in which every child is told that they are special and awsome in their own way. Show people their own shortcomings and you're just being negitive. Now everyone feels entitled to everything, even when they haven't worked hard enough and/or aren't smart enough to get it on their own.

Partisan tangent FTW.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Veyron wrote:To the extent that I take pleasure in insulting people its because I have had far too many experiences with our failed educational system in which every child is told that they are special and awsome in their own way. Show people their own shortcomings and you're just being negitive. Now everyone feels entitled to everything, even when they haven't worked hard enough and/or aren't smart enough to get it on their own.

Partisan tangent FTW.
And no less true for that.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Veyron wrote:To the extent that I take pleasure in insulting people its because I have had far too many experiences with our failed educational system in which every child is told that they are special and awsome in their own way. Anyone who shows people their own shortcomings is told that they are just being negitive. The correct response to being told that you suck used to be to try to not suck so much. However, since we've re-normed our entire fucking culture now everyone feels entitled to everything, even when they haven't worked hard enough and/or aren't smart enough to get it on their own.

So apparently we're supposed to believe that YOU are qualified to assess the "shortcomings" of the people on this board, on the basis that you scored a few points higher on a logic test?
You may have done well on the test but you seem destined to fail at life. Or maybe you'll grow up. We can hope.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Veyron wrote:To the extent that I take pleasure in insulting people its because I have had far too many experiences with our failed educational system in which every child is told that they are special and awsome in their own way. Anyone who shows people their own shortcomings is told that they are just being negitive. The correct response to being told that you suck used to be to try to not suck so much. However, since we've re-normed our entire fucking culture now everyone feels entitled to everything, even when they haven't worked hard enough and/or aren't smart enough to get it on their own.

Veyron, prognosticating doom for all non-Penn grads in Philly shows a stark ignorance of the legal market there. I encourage you to actually go onto some firm websites and see where their attorneys come from. It tends to be pretty equally matched between Temple/Penn/Nova.

I hope you're comfortable with me showing you your own shortcomings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:02 pm

[/quote]
Veyron, prognosticating doom for all non-Penn grads in Philly shows a stark ignorance of the legal market there. I encourage you to actually go onto some firm websites and see where their attorneys come from. It tends to be pretty equally matched between Temple/Penn/Nova.

I hope you're comfortable with me showing you your own shortcomings.[/quote]

Yes, those schools used to do very well. The market was very different 10 years ago. The top of the class still has decent prospects. However, if even only 5% of the classes at those schools got jobs at big firms in Philly every year, they would still be chalk full of Temple and Nova grads, no?

Penn grads also overwhelmingly self-select to other states.

"So apparently we're supposed to believe that YOU are qualified to assess the "shortcomings" of the people on this board, on the basis that you scored a few points higher on a logic test? You may have done well on the test but you seem destined to fail at life. Or maybe you'll grow up. We can hope"

If we didn't judge people we didn't know, we would never judge anyone. At least the LSAT gives me an objective basis for doing so.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 pm

arvcondor wrote:

In this economy, there aren't many jobs in Philadelphia to be had. Temple and Villanova grads are in much better shape than, say, Cardozo, Brooklyn, or American grads. But going to Temple and Villanova at this time is still a risk. What Temple has going for it, however, is its extremely cheap in-state rate. It's a gamble, but on scholly, it may well be a worthwhile gamble.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

[/quote]

In this economy, there aren't many jobs in Philadelphia to be had. Temple and Villanova grads are in much better shape than, say, Cardozo, Brooklyn, or American grads. But going to Temple and Villanova at this time is still a risk. What Temple has going for it, however, is its extremely cheap in-state rate. It's a gamble, but on scholly, it may well be a worthwhile gamble.[/quote]

TBF Temple does very close to Penn's placement in PI. However, the LRAP isn't even in the same universe. If that is something that interests you and you can get a large scholarship tho, it might still work.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Veyron wrote:
arvcondor wrote:

Yes, those schools used to do very well. The market was very different 10 years ago. The top of the class still has decent prospects. However, if even only 5% of the classes at those schools got jobs at big firms in Philly every year, they would still be chalk full of Temple and Nova grads, no?

Penn grads also overwhelmingly self-select to other states.
Big firms are not the end all (gasp).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:07 pm

[/quote]

Big firms are not the end all (gasp).[/quote]

Link to small firms with job openings for new lawyers?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Not everyone wants to work in biglaw or even at a firm.

Lots of people want to do government work, non profit work, court work, etc etc.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:11 pm

OMG PLEASE LEARN TO QUOTE, VEYRON

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Veyron wrote:
I only know the ones I'm going for, and I've had them targeted for awhile. One is an environmental boutique in Philly, so if you want you can probably investigate and figure that out on your own. To be fair, I may be unrepresentative because I have strong ties with people in power in this area (moreso in the main line area than the city, but same idea), so my job hunt could be much different than a classmate of mine. However, highly unlikely I'm the only one in my class who had back up options before coming to law school.

The only people I feel bad for are the people that think my schools degree will carry them outside of Philadelphia.
Last edited by beach_terror on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Veyron wrote:
I only know the ones I'm going for, and I've had them targeted for awhile. Think environmental boutique though (in Philly). To be fair, I may unrepresentative because I have strong ties with people in power in this area (moreso in the main line area than the city, but same idea), so my job hunt could be much different than a classmate of mine. However, highly unlikely I'm the only one in my class who had back up options before even coming to law school.
Yah, I'm speaking in generalizations. If you already have hookups, my comments simply don't apply to you.

To whoever was taking about GVMT and non-profts, you do realize that those are just as competitve as biglaw, right?
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:Not everyone wants to work in biglaw or even at a firm.

Lots of people want to do government work, non profit work, court work, etc etc.
+1

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Veyron wrote: To whoever was taking about GVMT and non-profts, you do realize that those are just as competitve as biglaw, right?
I wasnt talking about competitiveness. Im sure theyre very competitive positions.

I was pointing out that not everyone wants biglaw. Youre very narrow "biglaw is the only way" mindset doesnt apply to everyone.

Just wanted to clear that up.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Veyron is a dick. I'm 99% sure he doesn't act like this in real life.

But his comments do have a solid ring of truth. I'm sure most people don't want to be in 200k+ debt for the rest of their lives.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:21 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Veyron wrote: To whoever was taking about GVMT and non-profts, you do realize that those are just as competitve as biglaw, right?
I wasnt talking about competitiveness. Im sure theyre very competitive positions.

I was pointing out that not everyone wants biglaw. Youre very narrow "biglaw is the only way" mindset doesnt apply to everyone.

Just wanted to clear that up.
that said, the credentials/snobbery still apply.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Veyron is a dick. I'm 99% sure he doesn't act like this in real life.

But his comments do have a solid ring of truth. I'm sure most people don't want to be in 200k+ debt for the rest of their lives.
Of course not. However, its the reality that we all have to face. Sometimes you have to give a lot to get a lot.

Some people on here think that because they go to a T14 theyre entitled to everything they want. Noone wants to earn their stripes anymore. Everyone wants to be the CEO before they work as the copy boy. Point is that one has to be prepared for everything and should not use the debt argument as an excuse to say "biglaw or bust".

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 pm

gdane5 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Veyron is a dick. I'm 99% sure he doesn't act like this in real life.

Of course not. However, its the reality that we all have to face. Sometimes you have to give a lot to get a lot.

Some people on here think that because they go to a T14 theyre entitled to everything they want. Noone wants to earn their stripes anymore. Everyone wants to be the CEO before they work as the copy boy. Point is that one has to be prepared for everything and should not use the debt argument as an excuse to say "biglaw or bust".
the thing is, we're at T14s, scared shitless we're not going to get anything from OCI/never have a fair shot at earning out stripes.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:27 pm

IAFG wrote:the thing is, we're at T14s, scared shitless we're not going to get anything from OCI/never have a fair shot at earning out stripes.
I understand that. It is scary. You put so much time and effort to get into your school and then you dont get that coveted job. It does suck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”