Non "Big Law" jobs ITE Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adammac17

Bronze

Non "Big Law" jobs ITE

Post by adammac17 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm

ive looked around a bit on here but i was hoping someone could direct me to some info as to what hiring, pay, hours etc. are like at non-big law firms. mainly interested in the midwest.

for my part, i work at a 5 attorney firm in a <100,000 person midwestern city, and know from the newest attorney, a cooley grad with 0 ties to the area, that shes making something like 40grand and bitching about her billable hours, though i dont know what she has to bill.

anyone else have any experience or articles on this?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Non "Big Law" jobs ITE

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:53 pm

TCR is: it varies.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 pm

i realize it varies but what are the people who get shut out from big law, and good govt jobs hoping to get (please dont say anything)? ive read about the drastic bell curves for jd salaries (pictured here http://www.nalp.org/anotherpicture ) and am just curious; is there a "mid law" market? would bigger firms in places like indianapolis or cleveland be that kind of market or is it really just BigLaw vs rinkydink small firms with salary and billable time adjustments only based on regional differences?

thx if anyone can help clear this up

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:01 pm

There is life outside of biglaw and gov't. Remember that the vast majority of attorneys work in smaller firms.

It also depends on what field you're interested in. Criminal defense and family law, for example, don't have much presence outside of biglaw.

You can make really good money, or you could make nothing. No one can really predict for you with certainy.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
minnbills wrote:It also depends on what field you're interested in. Criminal defense and family law, for example, don't have much presence outside of biglaw.
really? outside biglaw?
Well I know of one bigger firm here in the TC that has a family law department. But the rule seems to be that the best attorneys in areas like those work in small firms.

boalt2l

New

Post by boalt2l » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 pm

My career office has advised me that outside of Biglaw, small firms usually pay around 15 an hour, so basically I will never be able to repay my debt, thank goodness I took out government loans :o

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:58 pm

boalt2l wrote:My career office has advised me that outside of Biglaw, small firms usually pay around 15 an hour, so basically I will never be able to repay my debt, thank goodness I took out government loans :o
I'm not saying that going straight into a smaller firm is going to be lucrative, especially with debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm

minnbills wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
minnbills wrote:It also depends on what field you're interested in. Criminal defense and family law, for example, don't have much presence outside of biglaw.
really? outside biglaw?
Well I know of one bigger firm here in the TC that has a family law department. But the rule seems to be that the best attorneys in areas like those work in small firms.
The way you wrote it made it sound like biglaw was the only place to find criminal defense and family law.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Sentry wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
really? outside biglaw?
The way you wrote it made it sound like biglaw was the only place to find criminal defense and family law.
Oh right right, dumbass move on my part- apologies. Gotta love absent mindedness.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”