Seattle, L&C, Loyola, San Diego Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prismz

New

Seattle, L&C, Loyola, San Diego

Post by prismz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm

--
Last edited by prismz on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Re: Seattle, L&C, Loyola, San Diego

Post by thexfactor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes you are right go to the school in the region that you want to work in. However the job prospects from the schools you mentioned are poor even during the 07 economic boom.

Please do some more research on the schools that you mentioned. Do not take the employment statistics at face value. Schools count employed at Mcdonalds as employed in "business and industry."

If you are looking for a career and do not have an intense desire to practice law, I think you should study accounting. Accounting is actually in demand and the placement rate for most masters of accounting programs are pretty high.

prismz

New

Post by prismz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I appreciate the response, but lol, I'm not going to be an accountant. I haven't taken a math class since AP Calc my junior year of high school

What you're saying is that Seattle places poorly. But, in their own markets, does Loyola or San Diego out place Seattle?

I think USD has a better hold on San Diego than SU to Seattle. Amirite?

cr.3616

New

Post by cr.3616 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Thoughts from an SU student...

SU Law as a school is very focused on "social justice", and it is a great school if you're into public interest work. SU probably place more students with public interest employers in the Seattle area than any other school. With some of the public interest employers you can also get into loan repayment programs, so the tuition burden isn't quite so bad. SU is sometimes focused on social justice to the exclusion of business/corporate law, so be forewarned.

SU also places pretty well with small law firms in the Seattle area due to the large number of alums (much larger than UW in the area). HOWEVER, SU Law likely will not get you a job in a mid or large-sized firm in Seattle unless your grades are outstanding. I only know of 4 SU 2Ls who got summer positions with mid or large sized firms in the city for 2011.

prismz

New

Post by prismz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 pm

cr.3616 wrote:Thoughts from an SU student...

SU Law as a school is very focused on "social justice", and it is a great school if you're into public interest work. SU probably place more students with public interest employers in the Seattle area than any other school. With some of the public interest employers you can also get into loan repayment programs, so the tuition burden isn't quite so bad. SU is sometimes focused on social justice to the exclusion of business/corporate law, so be forewarned.

SU also places pretty well with small law firms in the Seattle area due to the large number of alums (much larger than UW in the area). HOWEVER, SU Law likely will not get you a job in a mid or large-sized firm in Seattle unless your grades are outstanding. I only know of 4 SU 2Ls who got summer positions with mid or large sized firms in the city for 2011.
thanks for the candid response. I recently visited the campus, and loved it. capitol hill is a great area, and admittedly, it's a large chunk of my interest in SU

what's the col around that area?

prismz

New

Post by prismz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm

prismz wrote:I appreciate the response, but lol, I'm not going to be an accountant. I haven't taken a math class since AP Calc my junior year of high school

What you're saying is that Seattle places poorly. But, in their own markets, does Loyola or San Diego out place Seattle?

I think USD has a better hold on San Diego than SU to Seattle. Amirite?
thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”