Louisiana law schools and their in state job placement? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doug_7506

New

Louisiana law schools and their in state job placement?

Post by doug_7506 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm

So I am trying to figure out where I am going to go to law school.

I am going to stay in Louisiana and live in preferably Baton Rouge but, if the job is a lot better, I could move to the suburbs of New Orleans.

My numbers are 161 and 3.75. So I am guessing $$$ from Loyola, $ from LSU, and sticker at Tulane.

I am debating between LSU, Tulane, and Loyola. Southern is out. Obviously LSU is about 20k a year cheaper which is very nice. I will be financing the full tab of school and plan on going in to private practice after. I also have $0 debt from UG due to full ride through out.

I am willing to take on debt if I think it would make a difference.

The sketchy data I have found so far.

LSU boast on their website that they have place more people in Louisiana big law firms than all other Louisiana law schools combined, BUT only 40% of Tulane grads stay in Louisiana and I know all of Loyola's grads are grabbed up be New Orleans firms.

Tulane (70k) says its private practice starting salary is only about 10k more than that of LSU's (60k) but LSU has 96% reporting and Tulane has about 40% reporting. Also Tulane's private practice is 93k but I can not find any data on LSU's private practice salary.

Both schools also have about a 90% employment rate.

Finally can someone find info on Loyola's website about their law school's placement info? I could not find anything.

My question, which I have had a hard time finding data on, is how much of a difference does it make in salary and employment opportunities from the different schools?

Thanks,

doug_7506

New

Re: Louisiana law schools and their in state job placement?

Post by doug_7506 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:44 am

anybody else

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 am

1. You won't be paying sticker at Tulane with a 3.75 and a 161.
2. Loyola is better for New Orleans than LSU (and you should be receiving a full ride or close to it there)
3. Where did you get the 40% reporting for Tulane? The latest US News survey has 72% reporting.
4. It's obvious that LSU has more students in LA big law firms bc most of Tulane's student leave (including the many of the best students) and a fair amount of Loyola's students leave.
5. Loyola does not report its percentage reporting salary
6. I would suggest comparing Loyola (full ride) to Tulane (25%-50% or so scholarship)

maxm2764

Silver

Post by maxm2764 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 am

If you want to stay in Baton Rouge, go to LSU for free. If you want more flexibility on where you end up, go to Tulane for less than sticker.

doug_7506

New

Post by doug_7506 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:07 am

Thank you for the replies. I hope you guys are right about less than sticker at tulane. If I was looking at a 40% to 50% scholarship at Tulane I would have a hard time passing on tulane.

Ill check US news. I was looking at some stats on either here or tulanes website.

If loyola doesn't release any info how can I consider it lol. I don't know any loyola grads. I am planning on visiting all three school. You think if I ask they will tell me there or give me a range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Unless you get close to a full scholly at Tulane, I think LSU ends up being the cheaper of the two, and the best based on your desire to stay in Baton Rouge.

Tulane probably gives your the most options though. Doing well there can land you in far more places around the country than LSU.

doug_7506

New

Post by doug_7506 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Unless you get close to a full scholly at Tulane, I think LSU ends up being the cheaper of the two, and the best based on your desire to stay in Baton Rouge.

Tulane probably gives your the most options though. Doing well there can land you in far more places around the country than LSU.
Yeah I know Tulane has a lot more reach, but as of right now I plan on staying in Louisiana.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:59 pm

doug_7506 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Unless you get close to a full scholly at Tulane, I think LSU ends up being the cheaper of the two, and the best based on your desire to stay in Baton Rouge.

Yeah I know Tulane has a lot more reach, but as of right now I plan on staying in Louisiana.
If this is the case, LSU is looking pretty good.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I recommend this esteemed institution. You can basically practice anywhere in the continental US, and its a hell of a deal!

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”